• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Truth with a Capital T?

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
Do you believe in Truth with a capital T?

What I mean is:

Do you believe there is a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality, or is everything fundamentally relative to perception?

Why do you believe what you believe about this?

What is your rationale?

What, if any, sources, methods, approaches, etc. do you use to determine your stance on this?

Are you undecided?

Let us know what you think. :)

KDude

The truth with a capital T is that the universe seems to follow laws ultimately bent on my destruction.

Or maybe that's self-centered. I should say everyone's destruction. I'm a giver.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
By capitalizing a word, we actually narrow the meaning of the word. We make it specific to a context. If truth is worthy of capitalization, then so should the word blue. Truth is a label, like color.

I don't feel very strongly about this either way. I think Germans like to capitalize Nouns in every Sentence.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Many probably don't like it because they suck at orthography. I like, though.

I tend to think that capital letters are more aesthetically pleasing. Is it worth the wear and tear on a shift key to mark these pages with BEAUTIFUL letters? I think it could be worth it.

KDude

The truth is that capital T Truth doesn't matter. Look how easily the thread devolves into a discussion about German grammar habits. By this we demonstrate that we really don't give a shit about Truth, even if we try. There are much more important matters to attend to.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Truth is a lot bigger than my brain can hold. I suspect any attempt to formulate it will result in the False.

Nicodemus

I tend to think that capital letters are more aesthetically pleasing. Is it worth the wear and tear on a shift key to mark these pages with BEAUTIFUL letters? I think it could be worth it.
I like the interplay of ups and downs in the flow of words. The occasional capital letter in an English sentence, by contrast, looks rather odd. There, the all-minuscule style seems preferable.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
The Truth is a lot bigger than my brain can hold. I suspect any attempt to formulate it will result in the False.

Sure, attempts to formulate it generally fail, but do you believe it exists, regardless of whether one can formulate it or not?

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I like the interplay of ups and downs in the flow of words. The occasional capital letter in an English sentence, by contrast, looks rather odd. There, the all-minuscule style seems preferable.

It catches your attention, doesn't it

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Having nouns capitalized also increases your reading speed, if only by a bit.

Is it because the words you are reading are more organized? What would Happen if we Capitalized action verbs instead of nouns? It could Be cool. I Wonder if anyone Does this?

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
It makes seeing the important parts of a sentence - nouns and verbs - easier. Capitalizing verbs as well, though, may not be a good idea.

I meant instead of, so you could focus on the action instead of the subject.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, attempts to formulate it generally fail, but do you believe it exists, regardless of whether one can formulate it or not?

By truth, you're implying that there's some overreaching directive and order to the universe, meaning and purpose. Yup, I do, for whatever that means. But on the flip side, I don't believe that the belief in the Truth is important in that framework.