• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"A childish dream is a deathless need"

xisnotx

Permabanned
It's an interesting quote.
"Deathless need"...implying that some needs aren't deathless. Some needs die? What exactly is meant by deathless? Something that is deathless...is immortal..or forever.
So, I guess it means..
"A childish dream" is more than just a "childish dream"...it's a dream that will always need to be fulfilled because it is "deathless" or "forever".

What I can't figure out is if it implies..

"Give up your childish dreams because they are deathless"...and fulfill needs that can be fulfilled.
or
"Never give up your childish dreams, because they are needs, (deathless as they may be...but hey, at least you have a purpose, right?)."

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems like it means the dreams we have that hearken back to our youthful wishes and desires, never dies. We need it and crave it, and it can't be extinguished. It ends up growing into a deeper wish when we grow up throughout life.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Seems like it means the dreams we have that hearken back to our youthful wishes and desires, never dies. We need it and crave it, and it can't be extinguished. It ends up growing into a deeper wish when we grow up throughout life.

^this. But I dont think the spelling means the wish is going to evolve. It rather means that at some point in life, eventually it will come back. What sets the wish apart from others is his "childish nature" of because which he may be unvoiced.

KDude

So... I'm destined to be a superhero?

Cool.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting, I initially interpreted the phrase a bit differently. I interpreted it as someone who has childish dreams is deep down afraid of getting older and thus closer to death.

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hm, my first thought was that childish dreams won't really hurt anyone, as in being "deathless" as in not dying/passing away. Or that we'll always have the childless dreams and that it's a need?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

this is how i thought of it, too.

that, and that we will always need to have the bright and beautiful and hope-filled dreams of childhood to keep spurring us on. in my mind it alludes connection to childhood self... you are the same person as who you were as a child, after all. some needs will always be the same, including your deepest motivations.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
It means exactly what it says. But I have no idea how one could arrive at it or whether it's true or not.

I know it's from a Dylan song, and that he borrowed it (stole it?) from a poet named Henry Timrod.

I could be wrong, but it strikes me as some kind of insight related to Introverted Intuition.

It's an interesting statement, but I'm just not on it's wavelength, so it's pretty obscure to me.

Last edited:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It means exactly what it says. But I have no idea how one could arrive at it or whether it's true or not.

I know it's from a Dylan song, and that he borrowed it (stole it?) from a poet named Henry Timrod.

I could be wrong, but it strikes me as some kind of insight related to Introverted Intuition.

It's an interesting statement, but I'm just not on it's wavelength, so it's pretty obscure to me.

Yeah, Bob Dylan took it for his own song, but the way he uses it is really strange. It comes in at the very end, the rest of the lyric being this odd, kinda Southern-gothic tale about Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee, who he changes into some day-jobber, union scab-type characters. It comes in out of nowhere, without any connection to the rest of the lines. The effect it has is like something that's forgotten, which comes up again mysteriously & throws the rest of your life into stark relief. Something that invariably comes to you when you've lost your bearings, & makes you realize it-- but not necessarily anything else.

N

NPcomplete

Dreams, even the most seemingly childish ones, do not ever die and are, in fact, necessities.