• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Transcendence

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Enlightenment.

Zen.

Nirvana.

Getting to the other side. Breaking through.

Some see it as attaining masterhood. It's said the master enters combat equally at peace with both victory & defeat. The ability to see all things as both themselves & unified in an eternal, indestructible all.

Becoming a better person.

Can it be done?

Does the triumphant underdog always sell out? Does the revolutionary have any lasting echo?

To have things figured out-- approximately.

Altering the character of one's awareness.

To be unconcerned with the self, only with what the self is able to do. Faith in good movement, drive to good possibility.

Breaking something off for the gods... making it count.

What I'm talking about is hitching a ride across the Mexican desert on some donkeys with your good friends, smoking homegrown tobacco, singing joyous airs. Reading a pamphlet about women's underwear, sitting by a campfire-- eating apple pies. stuff like that.

Do you think these things are possible?

Lark

What I'm talking about is hitching a ride across the Mexican desert on some donkeys with your good friends, smoking homegrown tobacco, singing joyous airs. Reading a pamphlet about women's underwear, sitting by a campfire-- eating apple pies. stuff like that.

Do you think these things are possible?

Yeah that's very possible.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see trancendence as the ability to understand that you are not your thoughts or emotion, the ego construct, that you are an awareness beyond that (impermanent) state. And yes it can and has been done. Read Eckhart Tolle _ A New Earth.

Lark

I knew someone would do that. Ur ENTJ superpowers do not faze me. Undaunted, the INFP expeditionary presses on!

No I wasnt being sarcastic, that is actually possible, it was a practical plan, I dont know what the rest of the post even means.

gromit

likes this
Maybe when you've mastered what you have needed to master and learned what you've needed to learn. Kind of more of a process than a destination, because once you master one thing, life seems to throw you something else.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
No I wasnt being sarcastic, that is actually possible, it was a practical plan, I dont know what the rest of the post even means.

Come on... you know what it means. This is probably the simplest thread I've even made.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
  • Getting (getting?) to the other side.
  • altering (a verb?) awareness?
  • are "these things" (things??) possible?
  • Can it be done (a verb again, really???) ?
  • Becoming (becomming, well .... ) a [better ... really? better? is that what it's about] person (of all things, becomming .. a person? again??? sucks).

does not compute, mate.

• Breaking something off for the gods... making it count.

thats not even in my dictionary :huh:

people wake up all the time. i guess that makes it a "possibility", depending on how you think about that word.

many people would argue, that the word transcendence ought not to be used like a synonym for waking up.
but i don't care to go in that discussion right now.

Lark

Come on... you know what it means. This is probably the simplest thread I've even made.

Well the practical idea you outlined was achieveable, the idea of simultaneously pursuing enlightenment and transcendence as understood by a variety of and often very contrary or dichotomous schools of thought, which are themselves often vague about it, is less achieveable than a road trip on donkeys with your mates.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well the practical idea you outlined was achieveable, the idea of simultaneously pursuing enlightenment and transcendence as understood by a variety of and often very contrary or dichotomous schools of thought, which are themselves often vague about it, is less achieveable than a road trip on donkeys with your mates.

But by transcendence, all I mean is being better, fundamentally better... is it possible to fundamentally change-- or for the manner in which you live to fundamentally change? Is it possible to reach levels of understanding, vis a vis life, love, the universe & everything, that elevate the character of your existence?

Lark

But by transcendence, all I mean is being better, fundamentally better... is it possible to fundamentally change-- or for the manner in which you live to fundamentally change? Is it possible to reach levels of understanding, vis a vis life, love, the universe & everything, that elevate the character of your existence?

Stated that way I would say yes I believe so.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
  • Getting (getting?) to the other side.
  • altering (a verb?) awareness?
  • are "these things" (things??) possible?
  • Can it be done (a verb again, really???) ?
  • Becoming (becomming, well .... ) a [better ... really? better? is that what it's about] person (of all things, becomming .. a person? again??? sucks).

Your confusions:

Getting = acquiring. To get to the other side is to acquire access to what is located on the other side.

Altering is indeed a verb. Very astute.. awareness is to be aware, to be noticing. If one is alive, one is aware. But one is not aware of everything that is... are there not things that exist of which one is nonetheless failing to be aware?? If so, perhaps the reason for this is that the nature of your awareness blocks you from being aware of them.

Things = material, physical matter. Everything is material... a difficult lesson. For a thing to be possible is for its physical existence to be something that is able to occur. Is transcendence-- whatever it is-- a thing that is physically able to occur?

"Done" is a past-tense verb... "can it be done?" is a strategic motivational phrase, aiming to propel its recipient into defiant bursts of activity... seeking to do that which has not been done. It's an incitement to rebellion. Do you have any taste in rebellion?

"Becoming, well" is precisely the issue-- because becoming is something to a large extent beyond one's control. So to resign yourself, you might say "well" afterward-- implying that it's going to happen whether you like it or not. "Better" is of course what it's about-- what else could it be about?? Goodness is happiness... & personhood is the field to which you are limited by determinism... should you become something other than a person, perhaps none of this would matter to you.