• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you go about finding real truth?

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
well, first i'd like to know what you're going to do with this real truth? nobody is buying truth nowadays, and it wont keep you warm at night. by the time truth comes back in style, you'll be rotting in a grave somewhere - or be cosmic dust.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
well, first i'd like to know what you're going to do with this real truth? nobody is buying truth nowadays, and it wont keep you warm at night. by the time truth comes back in style, you'll be rotting in a grave somewhere - or be cosmic dust.
What is done with this "real truth" depends on what is true, obviously. If Islaam is correct, then I will pray 5 times a day facing Mecca, give alms to the poor, make a pilgrimage to Mecca, say "Allah is God and Mohammad is his prophet", and practice Ramadan in hopes that Allah will spare me from judgement based on my living a good life. If Scientology is correct, then I'll go through the process of auditing and try to remember my all the things that happened to my thetan in the past.

(Disclaimer: sorry if I didn't accurately represent Muslim or Scientologist doctrine; it was more of an example than anything else)

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm asking just because I love conversations like this, and also because I have noticed that people tend to always look for proof that supports their own views, instead of looking for real truth. I wonder why more people don't even try to find out what is real and what is not.

I do believe real truth exists. Pretending that "all truths" are equally valid doesn't work. You can believe all you want that you are a princess with a castle, but when it comes down to it, you are a low-paid worker living with several other people in a run-down trailer.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
...and also because I have noticed that people tend to always look for proof that supports their own views, instead of looking for real truth.
I sometimes worry about this. Am I just looking narrow-mindedly at one aspect of things to confirm my own beliefs? I don't think that I am. Certainly every human carries bias, though. It's impossible not to.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
What is done with this "real truth" depends on what is true, obviously. If Islaam is correct, then I will pray 5 times a day facing Mecca, give alms to the poor, make a pilgrimage to Mecca, say "Allah is God and Mohammad is his prophet", and practice Ramadan in hopes that Allah will spare me from judgement based on my living a good life. If Scientology is correct, then I'll go through the process of auditing and try to remember my all the things that happened to my thetan in the past.

(Disclaimer: sorry if I didn't accurately represent Muslim or Scientologist doctrine; it was more of an example than anything else)

What if the truth is that we are all here to produce fertilizer for the soil? Are you going to start shitting all over the place?

KDude

I'd take a scientific approach as much as possible/on anything observable. I'd try not to jump the gun too much on things if there's a possibility that they can be answered that way. I'm not going to go for some alternative explanation of nature "just because it's different" or something. That's just being retarded. Science is my best hope, as far as truth goes.

As for questions that science can't even ask, there is no truth. It's a void. Although I can make it up or have faith in some ideas. Or I can take a chance at some things. That's cool enough. Maybe my truth IS being cool with that. Being OK that I'll never know everything. I'm pretty sure I won't be solving "ultimate truth" in my lifetime, and I doubt humanity will as well. Even if we have 5 billion years to do it. The fun thing may be that in that amount of time, you can do a lot of searching, and stumble across some smaller truths (and maybe stumble over some too). And you will do less searching if you think you have it all figured out.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Say you wanted to know what is really truth - not just you defending your current world view, but truly understanding what is real. Where would you start your search? What would you consider to be valid or not valid sources of information?

Start with the willingness to be absolutely wrong about everything you've ever known.

+ 2

It's an ability often understimated. Thats why you must re-ask that question yourself every minute

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
Well all youve got to do is ask a genius. Please... please... not too many questions. Ill get overwhelmed and sulk in the corner in eventually.