• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Bible

I interpret it to be

• completely literal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mostly literal, with some parables/metaphors

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • mostly parables/metaphors with historical fact

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • complete nonsense

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • other

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you interpret it? I imagine this thread will shoot off into other realms within this topic- feel free.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I missed something... but why does everyone have the same avatar?

It happened last night. [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] and I sort of had an Ne fit that sucked everyone in.

Lark

How do you interpret it? I imagine this thread will shoot off into other realms within this topic- feel free.

I clicked other, I think it does contain many metaphors and teaching tales, parables, however it isnt mythology (not that I consider mythology to be entirely false) entirely, it is also history and prophecy. Besides all that it is a seriously great work of literature too.

I dont like literalism at all, a lot of the reverence for scriptures and bible which dates from the reformation seems idolatrous and erronious to me, tradition is important or more important than scriptures to which it has given rise. There are other literary works which I feel are as important, such as Milton and Dante to mention just two, and lately I like the Hasidic idea that the Torah isnt just the scriptures but the jewish people themselves, that is the sort of idea which I wish would transfer to Christianity and all world religions.

A

Anew Leaf

It happened last night. [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] and I sort of had an Ne fit that sucked everyone in.

[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION],

here is an artist's rendition of what happened:

marshmallow44altalt.png

KDude

There are too many books and literature types in the Bible to read it any one way. 39 in the Jewish canon, 66 in the Protestant, 73 Catholic, 77 Orthodox. I think. Some of it is drab military and royal chronologies. Some of it are reconfigured Mesopotamian myths. Some are just recipes for bread. Some are just love poetry. Some wisdom books consist of one liner proverbs, while others are almost secular-like diatribes on the meaningless of life (Ecclessiastes). Some purported to be written by prophets, while others ritualistic in nature, instructional manuals for priests. Some are correspondance letters. I don't see why not to read these literally, particularly. Some, like the gospels, are narratives.. while other gospels are narratives mixed with a lot of third person commentary (John).

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is precisely what happens with Ne.

I voted for the third option.

Lark

There are too many books and literature types in the Bible to read it any one way. 39 in the Jewish canon, 66 in the Protestant, 73 Catholic, 77 Orthodox. I think. Some of it is drab military and royal chronologies. Some of it are reconfigured Mesopotamian myths. Some are just recipes for bread. Some are just love poetry. Some wisdom books consist of one liner proverbs, while others are almost secular-like diatribes on the meaningless of life (Ecclessiastes). Some purported to be written by prophets, while others ritualistic in nature, instructional manuals for priests. Some are correspondance letters. I don't see why not to read these literally, particularly. Some, like the gospels, are narratives.. while other gospels are narratives mixed with a lot of third person commentary (John).

I like the prophetic books of the bible, old and new testaments, they contain advice which I think can be taken literally, also I believe there is advice in James and Matthew about the acquisition of wealth and reciprocity and gift relationships which could bare literal interpretations too. Amos and Sirach (spelling) I think both have advice which is pretty perrenial too, Sirach is one of my favourite quotable quote writers infact.

Good points and great post though, the differences in perserved and included texts is a good one too I think. Although I dont think that there are that many which I would consider reconstructed mesopotamian myths, I'm inclined to consider, like Levi-Strauss, that there can be remarkable congruence between different myths or cultures while they are still perfectly distinct from one another because of underlying structures.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Complete nonsense, but vague enough to make people derive tangible meanings from it. It is like Victor talking, but since it's sacred people don't stop to question.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I voted nonsense. Sorry, but I've only ever been able to find comedic value in the Bible and not much else. And it seems so unimportant to me in the scheme of things that scholarly inquiry into it can be nothing but a useless, arcane bore. It can only incidentally have value to other areas of study, and seems not to be worth much else on its own.

KDude

Complete nonsense, but vague enough to make people derive tangible meanings from it. It is like Victor talking, but since it's sacred people don't stop to question.

How much have you read? Not all of it, I think, was intended to be sacred. Some of it is no different than other ancient nationalistic stories in the region. Stories of leaders especially. We don't completely write those off either, despite them being wrapped up in myth. We wouldn't know anything about Egypt if we had that kind of reaction to the way they presented themselves. But there's always some way to glean some truths, to at least tell that some event could have happened.. or at the very least, tell what the geography and political climate might have been like.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, Jack427 is responsible, [MENTION=4212]Peguy[/MENTION], my friend. I greatly appreciate our conversation.

Lark

Really? I mean really and truly? You believe that there's things sacred in contemporary society? Things which arent questioned?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, Jack is only partly responsible- you contributed. Though I wouldn't have created the thread if not for Jack. The tools you gave me, [MENTION=4212]Peguy[/MENTION], allowed me to articulate what I was thinking :)