• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do circles exist?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
According to Lark, open ended questions get more replies.

So the question is, do circles exist in reality?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does perfection exist in reality?

(yes, let's add to the open-endedness....)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Circles "exist" in the same way as Little Red Riding Hood "exists". They are mental constructs. Some of them are helpful, others are less so. Some of the mental constructs predict reality (like gravitational force) up to a certain accuracy, others do not.
The idea of perfection can be helpful in order to know what to strive to.

Most people who are bad at science don't fail at observing or at measuring, but at imagination. You've got to be able to imagine a perfectly smooth surface in order to understand Newton's laws. And part of the problem is that lots of people, including scientists, think imagination has nothing to do with science.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not in material reality. ;)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's got to be something in the water: this is the third time within 24 hours that I hear that question raised!

As Tamske said, a circle - like the number 3 - is a mental construct and exists as part of a "language" with which human brains (and a few others) interpret the world around them.

Will the Chinese language exist once there is nobody left to speak and understand it?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Or Aristotle's theory of The Forms.

Is a perfect circle a form that exists beyond space and time, and the imperfect circles that we see illustrated in the world around us are just participating in "circleness"? Or, are circles abstracted concepts derived from our examination of the things we sense around us (In other words: without material things that appear circular, circles do not exist)?

S

Sniffles

I was about to mention Aristotle as well. Long story short: if you believe circles do indeed exist, congrats you're a Realist. If you think circles are mere mental constructs, consider yourself a Nominalist.

There, the whole basic point of the discussion summarised.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hahah what? Of course circles exist. But this isn't an open-ended question, it's a yes or no (closed) question.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well it's funny that something such as circles, seemingly so simple and insignificant has been examined so closely in order to develop theories about our existence and purpose (referring to the theories of Plato and Aristotle). Given this was happening in the time period of B.C., but their findings still hold significance to this day.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Define circle. Define exist. Define define.

A

Anew Leaf

According to Lark, open ended questions get more replies.

So the question is, do circles exist in reality?

I need you to define the parameters of the following words before I can properly and adequately answer your question:

• open
  • ended
  • more
  • replies
  • so
  • the
  • circles
  • reality
  • bunnies
exist

thanks!

xisnotx

Permabanned
does reality exist?
circles exist in reality if reality exists in the first place.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have a circle tattooed on my chest (imperfect) for many reasons. One reason is because it represents the unattainable perfection that all people should be striving for. A circle exists as a mental construct like whoever said that said. It helps us with math and physics and stuff. It exists as a symbol, much like the imperfect circle on my chest.

On the other hand, while a perfect circle doesn't exist in the most literal definition of the term, imperfect circles certainly do.

G

Ginkgo

If one exists that conforms to the shape of the mind's eye, then yes. It's possible that sometimes, things are as they seem.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I was about to mention Aristotle as well. Long story short: if you believe circles do indeed exist, congrats you're a Realist. If you think circles are mere mental constructs, consider yourself a Nominalist.

Wouldn't you be an idealist if you believe circles exist? Or even if you believe that a circle could exist.

plato-aristotle-300x284.jpg