• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would You Die For A Cause?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
No, but I would probably die to prove a point.

Lark

I wonder if anyone considers the children killed by the nazi on the rampage in Norway as having died for a cause?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right now, there is no cause I would want to die for.

Hypothetically, there are definately potential causes I could aquire in the future that I would die for if needed. Thinking about [MENTION=5947]jenocyde[/MENTION]'s new little project, having and protecting ones own children would be one such cause I can think of.

But I think I would exploit any and every possibility I can think of to avoid the dilemma alltogether.

Lark

There was a quote I recall from the situationists, "Those who would die/fight for a cause are yet to make their own life a cause worth fighting for".

Always made me think, while I dont think situationism was of any importance at all.

A

Anew Leaf

I would die for some cube shaped objects with dots on them.

Also for staining pigments.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
That's too broad of a definition. In that case, your "cause" of death could be cancer.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would die for some cube shaped objects with dots on them.

Also for staining pigments.
:laugh: As would I!

*starts to feel poetic*
As would I
I would die
for some die
or some dye.

Would you cry
"Why oh why"
if I dyed?

(If so, what's your problem with textiles?
What did batik prints ever do to you???)

Beorn

Permabanned
Yes.

“But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd rather kill for a cause. :2ar15:
The whole dying thing just doesn't appeal to me. :thumbdown:
Just sayin'. :happy:

:solidarity:

-Alex

Last edited:

KDude

I'm not sure. Martyrdom is a lousy prospect really. I'm not sure what would get me to that point...willingly. I'm certainly not going to fantasize about it at least.

Maybe I'll get a little hate, but I'd rather kill for a cause. And if I had to die, it'd be in the process of killing. This I can fantasize about.

Mole

Permabanned
The Enlightenment, Voltaire and Free Speech

No, though I am unsure what Voltaire said and what I would be "joining" but I would die for that cause if I believed it not "for your right to say it.

Voltaire (1694 – 1778), was a French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher famous for his wit and for his advocacy of free speech.

All those who love free speech quote Voltaire when he said, "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

And free speech forms the very basis of liberal democracy. And those who hate liberal democracy, such as the fascists, communists and islamists, all ban free speech. They choke the words in our throat.

And it is interesting that it was the Enlightenment that gave us Voltaire and free speech.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I suppose I'd be willing to risk dying for a cause (in a general sense I have) but in no way am I willing to just sacrifice myself. Heroes don't draw any extra pay. If I had ever gotten my ass caught in a corner where there was little or no chance of getting out I would have been most unhappy and I would have spent the last of my life doing my best to make somebody pay dearly. Not a brag... I just happen to like being alive, am reluctant to die earlier than required and would be most resentful of that fact that I was going to.

I suppose, in a pinch, you could say laying down your life for somebody is a "cause" and if that is true, yes there are a couple of people I would die for. Not bloody many mind you... but a couple. And there are a few more that I would take get risks for - but that is not the same thing.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure. Martyrdom is a lousy prospect really. I'm not sure what would get me to that point...willingly. I'm certainly not going to fantasize about it at least.

Maybe I'll get a little hate, but I'd rather kill for a cause. And if I had to die, it'd be in the process of killing. This I can fantasize about.

Let's hope Sinead won't find you wearing her picture while saying that. :D

wolfy

awsm
If my son were the cause, easily. If my country were being invaded, absolutely. Beyond that, only by accident in that sometimes, in the moment action happens. Given time to reconsider, probably not.

I think this was the first post the mentioned people as a cause. I think I would die for a cause but it would be people I was framing it as dying for. To protect someone or something for someone.

Reminds me of that line in a movie on Vietnam where the soldier talks about dying for freedom and he says if he needs to die for a word he'd rather it be lollitopoppy or something random like that.

The whole dying just doesn't appeal to me. :thumbdown:

-Alex

Always better to win.

I suppose I'd be willing to risk dying for a cause (in a general sense I have) but in no way am I willing to just sacrifice myself. Heroes don't draw any extra pay.

I was thinking once whether I'd die if there was a guarantee I would live on in eternity as a hero. It would be pretty tempting, living on an eternity as a hero, maybe having a little golden book written after you.

My wife asked me if I want to be a hero a few times. I was just helping people out and risking myself in a really small way but she was worried. The first time it got me thinking, but from then on I just answer yeah! I mean, who wouldn't want to be the hero if they could?

rav3n

I think this was the first post the mentioned people as a cause. I think I would die for a cause but it would be people I was framing it as dying for. To protect someone or something for someone.

Reminds me of that line in a movie on Vietnam where the soldier talks about dying for freedom and he says if he needs to die for a word he'd rather it be lollitopoppy or something random like that.
That's 'cause people are concepts to me!

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I was thinking once whether I'd die if there was a guarantee I would live on in eternity as a hero. It would be pretty tempting, living on an eternity as a hero, maybe having a little golden book written after you.

My wife asked me if I want to be a hero a few times. I was just helping people out and risking myself in a really small way but she was worried. The first time it got me thinking, but from then on I just answer yeah! I mean, who wouldn't want to be the hero if they could?

Well from my POV - show me a hero and I'll show you somebody who is in a bad place they'd prefer not to be doing what they have to do. As to "a guarantee I would live on in eternity as a hero" I'll assume you mean in the literary sense and not in some Valhalla. With that assumption the question would is: would I trade my life for some sort of legend? Nope. Not a chance. Show me a dead hero and I'll show you somebody who is dead. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be better to be dead as a hero than a knave but what I am saying is that its better to be alive. Somebody offers me a chance to take part in a sucicide mission but I get to go down in the history books I’m saying “pass”. Let the fools and romantics take the up. Again, it’s not that I haven’t and wouldn’t risk my neck – I just want a sporting chance to live to a ripe old age.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The whole dying just doesn't appeal to me. :thumbdown:

-Alex

This .. As the zombie apocalypse draws closer, i'll be ready to fight. Just need to find a mall with a gun shop in the UK.
I'm screwed.