• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe that the good in this world outweighs the bad?

Do you believe that the good in this world outweighs the bad?

• Total voters

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing is inherently good or bad; It's all relative interpretation and based ones' value system.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to be of the mindset that everything equalizes in the end. That you can't have a good thing without a bad thing and visa versa. Same goes for a lot of opposites. They kind of coexist together- one can not survive without the other.

<--- and look, my God, I'm the one holding it. I should know.

Lark

Nothing is inherently good or bad; It's all relative interpretation and based ones' value system.

I dont think so, there's objective good and evil the same as there's objective natural laws besides what man thinks of them, gravity doesnt go away because you dont believe in it, its not generated by the human mind or suspended by it. The same goes for good and evil. The best value systems have sought to discover the good and evil that exist and teach accordingly, not to invent either or suppose they are inventions.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't believe in good or bad...where's my poll option?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I think people just tend to hyperfocus on the bad, rather than the good. Bad is more memorable, it seems. So when something bad happens, it sticks with people. When something good happens, it may make them happy for some time, but then they forget about it more quickly. At least that is my perception of people in general. This is why a lot of people have the impression that there is more good than bad in the world.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know, i'll have to have a think. You could approach this from many different angles.
I like to believe there is a lot of good, if we can use the word good.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
It depends all on how you define "good" and "bad".

Yes, what exactly are we talking about? Does the world give us more pleasure than not? Even talking in terms of moral goods, it is still hard to answer the question.

Lark

Yes, what exactly are we talking about? Does the world give us more pleasure than not? Even talking in terms of moral goods, it is still hard to answer the question.

That's what makes the question worth asking in the first place, if it where as simple as the poll makes it appear there'd be nothing to talk about.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I choose good outweighs the bad.

G

Ginkgo

They are equal, but there will be times when we, as people, are going to endure mostly bad times or mostly good times.

Beorn

Permabanned
He's confused. I don't see how anyone could say that with intellectual honesty.

Well, yeah. I deleted because I confused blank for critical hit (who had a thread entitled "republican evil") because they both had fallout avatars.

shoshana

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Instinctual Variant
so
in terms of self -- i am a glass half full type of person. the good will always outweigh the bad in the long run, and i see myself as a very lucky individual in many ways.

in terms of like the world.. i'd say there are way more negatives than positives (neg human interference on the planet in general and neg human influence on one another).

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If good and bad are assumed to be quantitative qualities, then the measuring of how much good outweighs bad is not only impossible, but rather senseless to consider, as there's no precise way to measure everything in the world under that kind of scale.

Secondly, good and bad are completely relativistic terms; what is good for one is bad for another and vice versa. Just as it is good for a lion to kill and eat a gazelle, so too is it good for the gazelle to attempt to flee for its own life.