• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did Nietzsche say? (What is your favourite western philosophy and why?)

R

Riva

Not just Nietzsche, all prominent western philosophers, what did they have to say?

Edit :-

A better way to approach this subject would be to ask -

Whats your favourite western philosophy and why?

Last edited:
R

Riva

Since it is highly unlikely that anyone of you would be bothered to teach me even slightly the names and theories of prominent western philosophers and their theories, I am cleverly adding the additional question of ' what your favourite western philosophy and why?' to the title.

Absolutely nil when it comes to knowledge on western philosophy I am.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I consider western philosophy a single dogma.

Most of western thought can be summed up by this "I know nothing, you know nothing, but there is something to be known. What is it?".

Of course that is such a generalization that it is almost meaningless..almost.

I want to start reading Chomsky. I'm guessing he'll be remembered as the pinnacle of modern western thought. I really don't have a favorite..for the most part I think they were idiots.

93JC

This is what Nietzsche said about sex:

6616.jpg

Lark

Not many people know the famous quote from him shortly before his death "You know, I've been really wrong about all this and none of you had the balls to say so", that's my favourite Nietzsche quote.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The entire breadth and depth of western philosophy kant really be expressed in anything less then at least entire essays dedicated to it's various schools of thought, if ones intention is to grasp western philosophy in it's whole (if one wants the white bread superficial version of it, then certain intro level texts usually suffice for such the task).

Also Nietzsche said a lot of things concerning various different things, and although I've read him, I really don't have the time nor energy to summarize him in a concise manner (which would be the opposite intention of his wise writings; one must go to Nietzsche, he does not come to you).

Not many people know the famous quote from him shortly before his death "You know, I've been really wrong about all this and none of you had the balls to say so", that's my favourite Nietzsche quote.

I'm sorry, where did Nietzsche say that?

Lark

It wasnt his last words though, I imagine they would have went something like:

"who would have imagined hell had so many means of torment? Argh! ARGH!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH!!!!!"

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since it is highly unlikely that anyone of you would be bothered to teach me even slightly the names and theories of prominent western philosophers and their theories, I am cleverly adding the additional question of ' what your favourite western philosophy and why?' to the title.

Absolutely nil when it comes to knowledge on western philosophy I am.

I'm more enthralled with this statement at the moment... What makes you think that?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The entire breadth and depth of western philosophy kant really be expressed in anything less then at least entire essays dedicated to it's various schools of thought, if ones intention is to grasp western philosophy in it's whole (if one wants the white bread superficial version of it, then certain intro level texts usually suffice for such the task).

Haha.. sorry, I have nothing to add to this discussion.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my experience most people who are in to Western Philosophy are INTXs.

They are not the most keen on teaching an amateurs, especially on subjects such as these.

A couple weeks ago I was in a coffee house and I struck up a conversation with this man with this stack of papers and a laptop. He was studying Kant, specifically.. studying a paper by one Kant sympathiser that was written in response to another paper about an intepretation on one of Kant's passages. He was very clearly some sort of INTx, and was perfectly happy to give me an overview. But it wasn't so much an overview, but really just an explanation of his specific and current interest of Kant within the whole framework of Western philosophy. I was able to follow for the most part, because I'm not completely ignorant to the concepts, but I did get the impression that I wouldn't get much out of reading any philosopher without starting reading Plato and then reading absoultely anything of note up from there.

Not sure what I was trying to say there. Umm, I'm sure there's some sort of Cliff Notes on Nietzche, but I imagine you wouldn't really be able to jump into a serious Nietzche discussion after reading them.

Nicodemus

In my experience most people who are in to Western Philosophy are INTXs.

They are not the most keen on teaching an amateurs, especially on subjects such as these.
If you want to learn about Nietzsche, you can read 'Ecce homo', his autobiography, which is a review of Nietzsche (work and persona) by Nietzsche. It is rather short.

R

Riva

A couple weeks ago I was in a coffee house and I struck up a conversation with this man with this stack of papers and a laptop. He was studying Kant, specifically.. studying a paper by one Kant sympathiser that was written in response to another paper about an intepretation on one of Kant's passages. He was very clearly some sort of INTx, and was perfectly happy to give me an overview. But it wasn't so much an overview, but really just an explanation of his specific and current interest of Kant within the whole framework of Western philosophy. I was able to follow for the most part, because I'm not completely ignorant to the concepts, but I did get the impression that I wouldn't get much out of reading any philosopher without starting reading Plato and then reading absoultely anything of note up from there.

Not sure what I was trying to say there. Umm, I'm sure there's some sort of Cliff Notes on Nietzche, but I imagine you wouldn't really be able to jump into a serious Nietzche discussion after reading them.

I guess the point I made was wrong. I recall INTXs being extremely helpful/enthusiastic in teaching what they know to people whom are interested. (INTPs more so than INTJs.)

So I apologize and take back my comment.

I feel I betrayed all my INTX friends, who are more inclined to enthusiastically teach what they know than any other type.

Urghh!

If you want to learn about Nietzsche, you can read 'Ecce homo', his autobiography, which is a review of Nietzsche (work and persona) by Nietzsche. It is rather short.

I would rather hear summarized version of all major important theories so I could explore the once I find interesting.

Summarize I believe people would be more inclined to do.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Come on [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION], you don't want Riva to be learning Nietzche off the streets, do you? Imagine all that misinformation out there.. :D

Nicodemus

I would rather hear summarized version of all major important theories so I could explore the once I find interesting.

Summarize I believe people would be more inclined to do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche#Philosophy

Come on [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION], you don't want Riva to be learning Nietzche off the streets, do you? Imagine all that misinformation out there.. :D
One and not the smallest part of Nietzsche's appeal is his style. The way he presents his philosophy is itself part of the philosophy. That and the fact that any summary is already an interpretation prompt me to say that the best way to learn about Nietzsche (and all other philosophers who are also writers) is to read the original (or a translation of it).

S

Sniffles

Did you misspell "can't" on purpose?

Anyways, as for a nice summary of Western philosophy, I think this suffices rather well:

"The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato."
- Alfred North Whitehead

S

Sniffles

Frithjof Schuon's summary of Nietzsche is perhaps my favorite quote about him: "A volcanic genius if there ever was one...but in a manner that is both deviated and demented."

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

In his bed, cared for by the sister he detested, at the end of a ten-year period of mental derangement, almost a year after he lost his ability to speak.

Is this quote from 'My Sister and I'?

Or is Lark now in the business of completely making stuff up to discredit ideas he does not appreciate?

Frithjof Schuon's summary of Nietzsche is perhaps my favorite quote about him: "A volcanic genius if there ever was one...but in a manner that is both deviated and demented."

How surprising to hear such a sentiment from someone described like this:

In his teachings, Schuon expresses his faith in an absolute principle, God, who governs the universe and to whom our souls would return after death. For Schuon the great revelations are the link between this absolute principle—God—and mankind... The main subjects of his prose as well as his poetic compositions are spirituality and various essential realms of man's life journey from his Creator back to Him.

[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION], Curzon, or whatever, trying to learn the whole of western philosophy in this way is an impossible task.

There are tons of "History of Western Philosophy" books out there -- buy one, and read it.

Then keep in mind that there are many others that will probably say something different.