• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Victor's thoughts on makeup

Starry

The bolded appears to be contrary to what Victor's expressing, in reference to makeup imitating arousal. Odd that, no?

The bolded statement may or may not be contrary to what Victor is saying...I don't actually know. I guess it would depend on whether or not one can say that 'sexual attractiveness' plays a role in 'professional success'...which I do believe, in many cases (but not necessarily all - so in general), it does.

rav3n

The bolded statement may or may not be contrary to what Victor is saying...I don't actually know. I guess it would depend on whether or not one can say that 'sexual attractiveness' plays a role in 'professional success'...which I do believe, in many cases (but not necessarily all - so in general), it does.
It can but not as you've expressed by stating that people take you more seriously. Being taken more seriously, and maybe this is again an assumption of mine, being taken more seriously means that you garner more respect for qualities other than physical attractiveness. :shrug:

Starry

I should add though...that I believe make-up is also meant to make you look 'young'. That when you are young and healthy and have better circulation...that your skin has a healthy glow...that your features are more pronounced...cheeks are naturally pink...and your lips are red.

EDIT: not sure about purple eyelids though LOL.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, maybe you're right. Didn't mean for it to be unfair or unkind. I meant for it to be insightful, but maybe it was too harsh.

It was not unfair or unkind. It was truthful. HE IS A TROLL. Yes, he just wants attention, because he is a troll. Why on earth else would you jump into a thread with high momentum and enthusiasm and everyone in happy agreement, and throw cold water on it? Why would you do it repeatedly and repeatedly complain that you are being yelled at when you do it? STOP DOING THE THING THAT GETS YOU YELLED AT AND THE YELLING WILL STOP. Victor, who is so fond of quoting the rules to other people about bullying and who threatens to report you if you insult him because that's against the rules and you could be banned ... I cannot believe anybody buys into it.

Oh, he's metaphorical, y'know, that's cool, but the point is, start your own thread, or if you don't want to actually discuss, write a blog. Don't jump into other people's threads and piss on them. And then turn around and cry when they say they don't want to stop what they were enjoying talking about to entertain the subject you now insist out of the clear blue they turn their attention to. Again, who's the bully??

Starry

It can but not as you've expressed by stating that people take you more seriously. Being taken more seriously, and maybe this is again an assumption of mine, being taken more seriously means that you garner more respect for qualities other than physical attractiveness. :shrug:

I think there have been a lot of scientific studies/research done on how men that are taller and have a full head of hair...and women that are...whatever women are supposed to look like...get characteristics attributed to them...like strong, smart, effective, pleasant...that may or may not be representative of how they truly are in reality.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And more statistics saying that women who wear makeup to work make higher salaries. I guess that's because employers like deceitful mantraps who appear to be sexually aroused.

rav3n

I think there have been a lot of scientific studies/research done on how men that are taller and have a full head of hair...and women that are...whatever women are supposed to look like...get characteristics attributed...like strong, smart, effective, pleasant...that may or may not be representative of how they truly are in reality.
Clarify something for me. If you disagree with makeup usage, why are you wearing it?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I should add though...that I believe make-up is also meant to make you look 'young'. That when you are young and healthy and have better circulation...that your skin has a healthy glow...that your features are more pronounced...cheeks are naturally pink...and your lips are red.

EDIT: not sure about purple eyelids though LOL.

lol I wear make-up to cover that "glow" (oil, I still break out) and red cheeks (ugh)...of course people always think I'm younger than I am, including people who have seen me nearly every day without make-up...I still think I look better with make-up....the main difference between my face now and fifteen years ago is that I looked like a baby and had no character...even when I was 22 or 23 I looked like a teenager, and dude when I was sixteen or seventeen I HATED IT...the cool thing about having a baby face I guess is that it serves you well as you age...and this has applied to other women in my family not just me...the only thing that would be better would be to be Asian and have that thicker skin...that's the primary thing I envy.

Purple eyelids apparently indicate sexual arousal.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As Vic expanded on his original post, he was taking a very evolutionary and biological point of view. On that level, it is true. But it is simplistic, and we are not near that simple. When a woman puts on makeup, a man knows she has makeup, and the woman knows that the man knows. At this point, the act of putting on makeup no longer is a trick, it's a form of expression. I becomes part of how people communicate with each other depending on your culture, part of the language.

All of this is just evident. A woman who wears make-up in mainstream western culture looks more put together and respectable, a signal that she cares about herself. In some subcultures, or just cultures, it might mean something entirely different. It doesn't mean anything about her biological ability and willingness to reproduce. We need to assess so much anymore about each other than when we were living without clothes out in Africa, our lives are much more complex now.

Starry

And more statistics saying that women who wear makeup to work make higher salaries. I guess that's because employers like deceitful mantraps who appear to be sexually aroused.

sexually aroused at work... heheheh. That is seriously the LAST place I could experience those feelings!

I will say that I like women who like make-up and know how to put it on nicely. I really wish I did but I am so impatient.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess that's why many beauty advisors advise against wearing purple eyeshadow to work.
I do it anyway if I feel like it that morning.

StarryKnights, I am late to work some mornings because I lose track of time painting my face. I enjoy makeup. I love to do other people's makeup, too. I love color. About every three years, I paint the walls a completely different color and redecorate everything, too. I love it like I love to sing, like people love to run or love to cook or love to collect bugs. So that's lucky for me.

I often don't wear it on days off, though, or if I'm just running errands. But I do enjoy it.

And all brand names tell me is the characteristics of the brand; for example, Maybelline eyeshadow doesn't stay on well for me. Dior shadow blends very easily. MAC has high color payoff but the lipsticks tend to be drying for me. Etc. That's all it means to me.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was not unfair or unkind. It was truthful. HE IS A TROLL. Yes, he just wants attention, because he is a troll. Why on earth else would you jump into a thread with high momentum and enthusiasm and everyone in happy agreement, and throw cold water on it? Why would you do it repeatedly and repeatedly complain that you are being yelled at when you do it? STOP DOING THE THING THAT GETS YOU YELLED AT AND THE YELLING WILL STOP. Victor, who is so fond of quoting the rules to other people about bullying and who threatens to report you if you insult him because that's against the rules and you could be banned ... I cannot believe anybody buys into it.

I don't think many people do. I think some people see the less-obvious. There are other reasons for doing what he does, other than him just being a troll.

There are worse things people could be doing, other than trolling on the internet. Does that make it right? No, but some people don't have alot of choices in life. It's relatively harmless, in the grand scheme of things.

Starry

Clarify something for me. If you disagree with makeup usage, why are you wearing it?

Whoops sorry I missed this. But I thought I did clarify. I just don't feel like people take me as seriously in the work-world. I mean...I'm being honest here. I don't know if that is true or not...but that is really how I feel.

EDIT: I need to make a decent living...and so I tow the line.

2nd EDIT: I should quickly add here...that I didn't say I disagree with make-up for everyone...I just don't like it for myself.

rav3n

Whoops sorry I missed this. But I thought I did clarify. I just don't feel like people take me as seriously in the work-world. I mean...I'm being honest here. I don't know if that is true or not...but that is really how I feel.
Have you consider testing your theory? Don't wear makeup one day and see what happens.

In the past, I've accidentally done this by being rushed and going to work without. What I found was that no one even noticed where there were no funny looks or strange behaviour or vibes from them, over it.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@ ICUP I don't feel like catering to Victor's needs over my own. Mine count, too.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
sexually aroused at work... heheheh. That is seriously the LAST place I could experience those feelings!

I will say that I like women who like make-up and know how to put it on nicely. I really wish I did but I am so impatient.

A lot of times at work women actually wear like a pink or brown shade instead of blue or purple, and clear gloss or pink on their lips instead of a more intense red, for this reason. That's why there are "day looks" and "night looks."

It's looking professional and polished (giving a good show in terms of aesthetics) versus putting on make-up to be "sexy."

Cosmetics are a part of social acceptance and fashion for women, it's not just about men. If you don't wear make-up, people may suspect that you're hyper-religious, a hippie, not very well groomed, not very sophisticated...make-up says a lot of things in our culture, not just "sexy."

It's kind of like a man styling his hair, shaving his face, and putting on a tie. That's not about sexy, it's about professional and groomed etc.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
It wasn't intended to insult him. You misunderstood.

No, I understood. You were accusing him of being egotistical and encouraging him to stop and consider this behavior as a way of trying to help him. When I said "where do you get off saying stuff like that?" I meant to ask, on what are you basing this inference? because that is a very personal and selfish attitude for someone to have and a difficult one to prove/infer. Maybe you are correct but I don't think you have anything that would clearly indicate you are. I think it's more likely that you were just projecting and making baseless assumptions.
[MENTION=5723]Tiltyred[/MENTION] And Victor has been a part of this forum for a long time and is making a case for something he believes. He is not a troll, even if some percieve him that way.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you consider testing your theory? Don't wear makeup one day and see what happens.

In the past, I've accidentally done this by being rushed and going to work without. What I found was that no one even noticed where there were no funny looks or strange behaviour or vibes from them, over it.

I think you can do this if you are brunette and have pretty even skin. If you are blonde with blonde eyebrows and eyelashes and maybe some rosacea or whatever, the difference between even a little makeup (powder and mascara) and no makeup is huge, and people ask all day if you're sick.

Starry

StarryKnights, I am late to work some mornings because I lose track of time painting my face. I enjoy makeup. I love to do other people's makeup, too. I love color. About every three years, I paint the walls a completely different color and redecorate everything, too. I love it like I love to sing, like people love to run or love to cook or love to collect bugs. So that's lucky for me.

I often don't wear it on days off, though, or if I'm just running errands. But I do enjoy it.

And all brand names tell me is the characteristics of the brand; for example, Maybelline eyeshadow doesn't stay on well for me. Dior shadow blends very easily. MAC has high color payoff but the lipsticks tend to be drying for me. Etc. That's all it means to me.

I totally get this. I know a lot of people...males and females alike...that utilize make-up as a form of self-expression...or just because they truly have a lot of fun with it.