• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Victor's thoughts on makeup

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree here. I've been out of the loop for awhile but I don't really get what is going on in this thread. Admittedly I didn't read much because... well, it wasn't interesting.

I feel like I am either missing something or interpreting what is going on in an entirely different fashion. Either way the vitriol makes little sense to me going either way.

Again -- you've been here five months. You feel out of the loop because you are out of the loop.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I feel that I do have a choice though to ignore many people's posts in any given thread, because I do it all of the time.

However, someone did point out that people are more invested in threads they themselves create, and I can see that, like with my sci-fi thread for example.

But then again I see off-topic debate as relevant discussion and well, I even find the fluff entertaining. Even when I don't I answer the posts that concern me and ignore the ones which don't.

A

Anew Leaf

Again -- you've been here five months. You feel out of the loop because you are out of the loop.

Again? Where was the first?

Doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid since my join date isn't as old as other peoples.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mind craves stimulation and I'm not getting it where I am, I think that's part of the problem. I think yours does, too, and you want to be acknowledged, because you can't be getting much acknowledgement working from home (I'm not getting it working from work, but anyway) if I'm into a thread and you derail it, it frustrates me. Your point of view comes off sort of easy-going and "why don't you just ignore it" but that reminds me of math class in 10th grade when Herbert Driver who sat behind me used to keep rubbing my ass with his knee. If I said anything to the teacher, he'd tell me to go sit somewhere else. Why do I have to move to accommodate somebody who's being rude?

But I don't think you acknowledge that there is such a thing as rude, do you?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
There are thread derails, and then there are thread derails. A couple of posts that are tangential are usually fine, but when it becomes a full-on thread-hijack, when the original topic was interesting to begin with, it's more than a little annoying. If you're going to change the entire direction of the thread, it makes more sense to start a new thread, rather than take the existing one for your purposes. I don't mind going a little off-track if the topic is somewhat along the same lines. There used to be a rash of random flirting in the middle of threads, and that makes me crazy in a serious thread. It really is like Tilty said--someone changed the music on the station you were playing, and the new music sucks, but you keep listening, hoping they start playing the good stuff again.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid since my join date isn't as old as other peoples.

Your opinion will necessarily be ill-informed because you don't have enough forum history to understand the discussion.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It would take a looooong time to catch up......
I would just consider that some people see something that you don't, and call it a day.
It's probably not worth the trouble, for you.

A

Anew Leaf

It would take a looooong time to catch up......
I would just consider that some people see something that you don't, and call it a day.
It's probably not worth the trouble, for you.

that's fine. i just didn't get the rudeness i was being treated to from someone i have never read a post from before.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's fine. i just didn't get the rudeness i was being treated to from someone i have never read a post from before.

See? Whereas if you had been here longer, you would have thought, "Oh, there's Tilty!"

rav3n

Before you two kill each other, Victor's been pretty quiet about his anti-women views for the last six months. Perhaps that's why the perceptions are different.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, well, that was a quick hello and goodbye then.

Jaguar

G

Ginkgo

I'm not sure whether you really mean what you say half the time, but I can explain to you why derailed threads upset me. It's as if you are listening to music that you thoroughly enjoy, and then somebody abruptly puts on bagpipes or marching band music full blast, and you have no choice then but to listen to bagpipes or marching band music.

In the example here, pretend it's guys who are really into motorcycles talking about their motorcycles. Would you jump into that conversation with "I don't think people should ride motorcycles. Motorcycles are dangerous." I hope your answer would be "No," or "Yes, if I were feeling masochistic."

Let me take that analogy a step further. If a single band member started playing out of tune or had a disruptive tone, but everyone else ignored him, would you still feel irritated? In the context of this discussion, everyone has the option of either putting Victor on ignore or ignoring his posts the old fashioned way. However, if everyone is effected, then surely I can understand why you would be irritated. A forum member can't stop another from posting controversial opinions or being alien, but they can stop themselves from redirecting the tracks of the train in reaction to that person. I would even go so far as to suggest that it's possible to address someone like Victor in a way that doesn't veer everyone's discussion off a cliff to explode into atoms.

Here's a good example:

We all live for the mytho-poetic.

Liberal democracy lives for the mytho-poetic limitation of power.

And Peguy lives for the mytho-poetic Christ.

But what mytho-poetry does Victor live for?

Australien über alles

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let me take that analogy a step further. If a single band member started playing out of tune or had a disruptive tone, but everyone else ignored him, would you still feel irritated? In the context of this discussion, everyone has the option of either putting Victor on ignore or ignoring his posts the old fashioned way. However, if everyone is effected, then surely I can understand why you would be irritated. A forum member can't stop another from posting controversial opinions or being alien, but they can stop themselves from redirecting the tracks of the train in reaction to that person. I would even go so far as to suggest that it's possible to address someone like Victor in a way that doesn't veer everyone's discussion off a cliff to explode into atoms.

Here's a good example:

I don't understand.
Blow him off or ignore him, is that what it boils down to? I always have until this point. In this particular thread, there is no discussion except Victor. I think I acted appropriately in the thread he disrupted. This is the thread his disruption was created for and moved into by a mod. He dropped his subject as soon as he was disagreed with.
Let me know where I'm missing the point. I see you trying to tell me something but I'm not sure I get it.

G

Ginkgo

I don't understand.
Blow him off or ignore him, is that what it boils down to? I always have until this point. In this particular thread, there is no discussion except Victor. I think I acted appropriately in the thread he disrupted. This is the thread his disruption was created for and moved into by a mod. He dropped his subject as soon as he was disagreed with.
Let me know where I'm missing the point. I see you trying to tell me something but I'm not sure I get it.

I think you get it.