• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does mainstream = bad?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why don't you just judge the music itself? Or is that not tied into your identity enough for you?

I judge the music differently.
people pleasing music = bad/despicable/repugnant
music I don't = not my taste

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
wait...wait...how are you so sure that Ace of Bass has some fabulous artistic intention? In what way? I do not glean this from their lyrics. I mean seriously I thought that the lyrics to "All That She Wants" were retarded even when I was a kid. They didn't become any clearer to me as I aged, either, even though this happened with other pop songs...I understood the lyrics better as I became an adult.

[YOUTUBE="FA5jsa1lR9c"]Spice Girls - 2 Become 1 [/YOUTUBE]

Even this mainstream pop of the 90's sounded better. And I understood the intent when I grew older.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Boy, this thread got heated fast... :shock:

did he host a documentary called "Why Beauty Matters"? if so, I know who he is and I agree with him :D (minus all the references to Plato. Aristotle ftw :solidarity: )
Edit: if not, I'm talking about the wrong guy :yes:

I think that was Roger Scranton (thnx, St. Google!). Benjamin's heyday was the beginning of the 20th century, I think, before the modern documentary was invented. :thinking:

I'm not the biggest expert, though - Google might help you more in this case. :yes:

(Also, is it any good to mention that my OP was about the social impact of "consuming" mainstream stuff, rather than aesthetics? No? Okay then. :unsure:)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

But taste is SUBJECTIVE. It hinges on so many THINGS. LIKE HOW THE MUSIC SOUNDS TO YOU AND WHAT IT MAKES YOU FEEL, AS AN INDIVIDUAL.

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of music was made to please people...you know, for people to enjoy together...concerts...um yeah I don't even..

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wait...wait...how are you so sure that Ace of Bass has some fabulous artistic intention? In what way? I do not glean this from their lyrics. I mean seriously I thought that the lyrics to "All That She Wants" were retarded even when I was a kid. They didn't become any clearer to me as I aged, either, even though this happened with other pop songs...I understood the lyrics better as I became an adult.

I really love some 80's New Wave pop...like I take The Church and Depeche Mode much more seriously than Rick Astley. That may simply be because my own particular world view aligns with theirs better, I don't know. I like some really shallow 80's pop, though. But it's just so great! I love it!

I think Ace of Bass is absolute garbage in comparison. So I'd like for you to list out some bands that you think are terrible, so I can get a better idea of what you think is so lame and for the masses...because right now I'm just in a state of utter hilarity comparing your pretentiousness about music to this new-found insight that you love Ace of Bass.

- blink 182
- Nickleback
- Kid Rock
- Solja Boy
- T Pain
- Britney Spears
- Justin Bieber (although I don't devout absurd amounts of time to hating him like so many youtubers do lol)
-

T

ThatGirl

Weird I judge music as such.

If I can see the missing melody, it's crap. If I get sucked into the song, it is not.

Some opera is incomplete. Therefore, its crap.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Weird I judge music as such.

If I can see the missing melody, it's crap. If I get sucked into the song, it is not.

Some opera is incomplete. Therefore, its crap.

I agree. for example, I abso-fuckin-lutely hate Turandot

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
- blink 182
- Nickleback
- Kid Rock
- Solja Boy
- T Pain
- Britney Spears
- Justin Bieber (although I don't devout absurd amounts of time to hating him like so many youtubers do lol)
-

I love "Bawitdaba" by Kid Rock. I think it's just undeniably a fantastic, bad ass song. Bad ass is really the best way to describe it. "Bawitdaba" makes me want to steal cars and roll on down the highway. I also have many good memories of hearing it in strip clubs where I worked, no I'm not joking. It's like a working class anthem or something. Perhaps you just can't relate to it at all. I think it completely lacks pretentiousness. It makes me feel the same way that some 70's Southern Rock does.

That's the only song from all of those artists you mentioned that I feel REALLY STRONGLY IN DISAGREEMENT WITH YOU ABOUT...but I also listen to some Britney Spears.

Nickelback bugs me, and T Pain uses way too much auto-tune, but like yeah...I still don't see how Ace of Bass is sooo much better, frankly. It's all pop.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh wait...I missed Blink 182.

Fuck, dude. "Adam's Song" and "Miss You" are very sincere love songs, and I love the video for "Miss You" it's absolutely ART. I also like "Dammit (Growing Up)."

It just happens to be pop that you don't personally like, right?

Jaguar

Yes - the definitive criteria for a great song is if it creates a desire to commit criminal activity - especially grand theft auto.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i love pop music.
and i watch an insane amount of beauty guru youtube videos.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh wait...I missed Blink 182.

Fuck, dude. "Adam's Song" and "Miss You" are very sincere love songs, and I love the video for "Miss You" it's absolutely ART. I also like "Dammit (Growing Up)."

It just happens to be pop that you don't personally like, right?

not all the time, in fact, auditoraly (if that's a word) speaking, I find some of the music catchy and enjoyable, but in the back of my mind, the intent behind it still bothers me

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes - the definitive criteria for a great song is if it creates a desire to commit criminal activity - especially grand theft auto.

I wouldn't actually steal a car, Jag.

But it makes me feel something strongly, that I associate with freedom and extremely daring behavior.

It's like the feeling of watching an action film or a horror movie.

I'm not really gonna do it. Duh.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
not all the time, in fact, auditoraly (if that's a word) speaking, I find some of the music catchy and enjoyable, but in the back of my mind, the intent behind it still bothers me

You mean the intent you imagine? I've never let anything like that stop me from enjoying a song. I'll listen to "Mickey" by Toni Basil and I don't give a shit why she recorded it, because it's a high energy, fun song.

Besides I still haven't figured out what you think Ace of Bass' wonderful artistic intention was, seriously, I don't see it.

And I don't doubt the sincerity or authenticity of Kid Rock. I think he's a completely unpretentious white trash ESTP singing from what is really in his mind/heart.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Like seriously, man...if you don't see authenticity and sincerity and complete lack of pretentiousness in this song, I think perhaps you're just sheltered or from a social class where you don't know people like this.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You mean the intent you imagine? I've never let anything like that stop me from enjoying a song. I'll listen to "Mickey" by Toni Basil and I don't give a shit why she recorded it, because it's a high energy, fun song.

Besides I still haven't figured out what you think Ace of Bass' wonderful artistic intention was, seriously, I don't see it.

And I don't doubt the sincerity or authenticity of Kid Rock. I think he's a completely unpretentious white trash ESTP singing from what is really in his mind/heart.

it doesn't stop me from listening to britney spears, it just doesn't do anything for me. britney spears does not move me, awe me or make me go "OMG THAT VOICE!!!!" the way, say, Dame Joan Sutherland does

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
it doesn't stop me from listening to britney spears, it just doesn't do anything for me. britney spears does not move me, awe me or make me go "OMG THAT VOICE!!!!" the way, say, Dame Joan Sutherland does

And that's a completely subjective emotional and sensory response...just like you're not moved by Kid Rock because you're not able to relate to him at all. It's not like he's some upper class white dude pretending to be street.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And that's a completely subjective emotional and sensory response...just like you're not moved by Kid Rock because you're not able to relate to him at all. It's not like he's some upper class white dude pretending to be street.

you're right, but relating to white trash is not exactly high on my to do list

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm glad you think of yourself so highly considering the fact that you didn't choose your parents or how much money your family had. It's not like you're 45 and have made your own fortune or life for yourself. It really, really annoys me...and that's why I hope to god you grow out of it. I can't believe you're ENFP and so fucking pretentious, either. It boggles the mind. I think this why some people saw SFJ for you.

I think this is one of the most moving songs EVER, btw. I wonder if you, at the very least, are capable of appreciating the musical complexity and intent. With what you just said, I seriously doubt it.