• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does mainstream = bad?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
opera is supposed to be exclusive, it's not supposed to be this cheap, mass produced thing that every simpleton you meet can understand. making an art form popularized makes it people pleasing, thus loosing it's integrity and authenticity.

It is irrational and prejudicial to evaluate any form of art on the basis of its exclusivity.

Yeah, you're right. If you can't eat Siberian Tiger liver pate and listen to fat Italians moaning to each other without those filthy plebeians getting involved, you might as well stab yourself in the face.

:laugh:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is irrational and prejudicial to evaluate any form of art on the basis of its exclusivity.
I'm not evaluating it solely on this, but it is one indicator. the point I'm trying to make is that real art exists to express something, not to people please.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not evaluating it solely on this, but it is one indicator. the point I'm trying to make is that real art exists to express something, not to people please.

"Real art" is a meaningless category devised by minds unfortunately disposed to hierarchy and prejudice.

LEGERdeMAIN

too bad you can't please people AND express something at the same time.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
too bad you can't please people AND express something at the same time.

I never said they were exclusive, I'm talking about the main focus of real art.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Real art" is a meaningless category devised by minds unfortunately disposed to hierarchy and prejudice.

so are you saying that people are being hierarchical, classicist, and prejudiced any time they demand a high quality product with standards? is it prejudiced to expect the best and want the cream and be dissatisfied with that which is mediocre?

LEGERdeMAIN

Do you really think the main focus of real art is expression? If so, don't you think that popular music is expressive? Doesn't that make it real art?

LEGERdeMAIN

so are you saying that people are being hierarchical, classicist, and prejudiced any time they demand a high quality product with standards? is it prejudiced to expect the best and want the cream and be dissatisfied with that which is mediocre?

You seem particularly prejudiced.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

I'm saying it is virtually impossible to philosophically justify (to a satisfactory degree) why, for instance, Radiohead is better than Justin Bieber. Or why [insert X musician] is better than [insert X musician.]

LEGERdeMAIN

I'm saying it is virtually impossible to philosophically justify (to a satisfactory degree) why, for instance, Radiohead is better than Justin Bieber. Or why [insert X musician] is better than [insert X musician.]

I don't think it's impossible to rank musicians in order of least to most aesthetically pleasing, but my list will be different from most others, most probably.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know how to answer your question. I think you should look at your posts, read the definition of prejudiced and compare. I'm not doing your homework for you, young man. Now go to your room.

you are if you're going to criticize me. I welcome criticism it is constructive, that's why I asked further. if you are not going criticize me, I expect an explanation and beneficial information. if not, I don't appreciate criticism or condescension

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
please read my post more carefully before you resort to condescension and telling me to "grow up". I'm talking about music that is deliberately watered down to appeal to the masses. this is not the case with the genres you've mentioned, I've already made this distinction. also, not all elitist tendencies are bad. wanting to be in the presence of high quality and authenticity does not make you a snob that goes around turning there nose up at everyone. not everyone is a part of this earthy, collectivist hipster nation that so many people scorn me for not wanting to be a part of.

It's funny that you want to distance yourself from hipsters (many of whom are as elitist about their taste in art and music as your own). It's kind of hilarious, actually.

There's nothing wrong with high quality and I admit from an aesthetic point of view that some music is obviously more complex than others.

On the other hand, art makes people feel, they resonate with it, and people express themselves. As long as a person is genuinely doing that you can't objectively say that it isn't art.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

no it isn't. that's like saying it's philosophically impossible to justify wanting to have a bigger house, nicer clothes, better food or a more comfortable bed. the answer is simple, it's more pleasurable

LEGERdeMAIN

you are if you're going to criticize me. I welcome criticism it is constructive, that's why I asked further. if you are not going criticize me, I expect an explanation and beneficial information. if not, I don't appreciate criticism or condescension

I don't feel compelled to provide an explanation for something that's so obvious. I was hoping you'd admit that you're prejudiced and elitist, that is all.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

It's just funny that you consider yourself so cultured, high class, and elite and you didn't understand what he said in that post.

Maybe history isn't your strong point? I dunno.