• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Absurdity of Certainty

E

Epiphany

Why is decisiveness or certainty often more valued than accuracy or skepticism? Indecision is frequently viewed as a weakness and decisiveness equated with strength and security. Certainly, there comes a point when a decision must be made, but what advantage does it have to make decisions quickly without considering all of the possible consequences first? A good leader would exercise discretion more readily than swift action, but stupidity and brashness are often mistaken for boldness and bravery. I've noticed that some of the most ignorant people have the most unwarranted confidence in their ill-conceived decisions, and they're the first ones to place the blame on someone else when their shit hits the fan and splatters on everyone else.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
What about an evolutionary psychology approach? On a superficial level, life is risky and without action in the fact of risk, our ancestors wouldn't have survived.
In terms of the quality and degree of consideration of decisions, this is one of the selection processes that goes into the selection of leaders, but it is by no means exclusive.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
There is a time for analysis and there is a time for decisions. Somebody who can't make up their mind is as bad as somebody who acts first and thinks later. The fact is we must often make decisions with incomplete or contradictory data. Now it is true that the incompetent are very poor at understanding how incompetent they are and the very competent often underestimate their competency. “Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread” and all that. But… as somebody who is in danger at any given moment of paralysis by analysis I have specifically trained myself to be able to make decisions rapidly – it’s a critical skill.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends on the situation. Some situations call for extended thought to find the best solution, whereas in others almost any decision is better than not being able to decide. Picture a rabbit seeing a fox - sure, he could sit there for 5 minutes deciding the optimal direction to run to escape the fox, and by the time he's decided it's irrelevant because he's been eaten.

But you're right that very rapid decision-making in general has its flaws, just like very slow decision-making has its flaws. Ideally you can find a career etc that rewards your own decision-making style - i.e. probably not a firefighter or something.

E

Epiphany

I understand that particular professions require an immediate response, but most of those individuals are thorougly trained on how to react according to protocol and practice these exercises enough to where it becomes a second nature. There definitely is an element of bravery when someone risks their life in an instant to save someone else.

I'm mostly talking about individuals who have plenty of time to weigh the possible outcomes, but choose not to and stubbornly refuse to alter their decision because they view themselves as "strong" and "decisive" and then everyone else has to reap the consequences of their poor decision making.

It can be applied to many areas in life. There are people who rush to make quick decisions instead of absorbing as much information as possible in order to make the best decision.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Why is decisiveness or certainty often more valued than accuracy or skepticism? Indecision is frequently viewed as a weakness and decisiveness equated with strength and security.
I think rewards are maximized by acting as soon as sufficient information is available, rather than to wait for all the information to be known. Rewards come form taking calculated risks. On average, I think "smart" people are more adverse to risk than they ought to be.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
There are people who rush to make quick decisions instead of absorbing as much information as possible in order to make the best decision.

But you can sit there and absorb more and more information, but who's to say what's the end of that information? Your decision is what says it.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying there's got to be a limit to how much information needed to make a decision. And the only person to determine those guidlines is you. Some people are just more snap in those judgments. It's neither a better nor worse strategy at the get-go. What they make of that decision is what makes it a good or a bad.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I think that both decision making strategies usually get the person who is making the decision the results that were intended. Personally, I use both depending on the type of decision I am trying to make.

"What drink should I get?"- Typically whatever pops in my head first.
"Should I get married?"- I've been thinking about this for years lol

I know people who are pretty set on the whole marriage question but take forever deciding what to get at a restaurant. I used to call these people idiots, but they probably think the same of me...