• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you think about the is ought problem?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The is ought problem was formulated by David Hume, according to this problem, we cannot get what should be, what "ought" to be(in other words, morals and ethics) from what "is", factual knowledge. This possibly means any kind of moral system is completely arbitrary because there is no factual basis for the way one option "ought" to be over any other option. Hume is saying morality and ethics are not propositions, for example, say killing is consider wrong, there's no way that it could be considered true that killing is wrong.

Of course there are objections to Hume's line of reasoning but do you think about this, do you think this philosophical problem can ever be solved, is moral nihilism the answer or can other meta-ethical ideas be preserved?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with Hume and am a meta-ethical anti-realist and non-cognitivist.

The problem potentially undermines itself if you apply the problem to itself, kind of like epistemological nihilism which denies knowledge of any kind yet asserts it has knowledge of this.

Nicodemus

I am also an epistemological pragmatist: I hold as true that which is most convincing to me.