• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The last people its possible to hate

Lark

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in opening a discussion about the sections of society its alright or acceptable to hate and how this publically sanctioned or deemed acceptable.

I personally, reading some of the posts which regularly appear on this forum think that its socially acceptable to hate religious believers, particularly roman catholics or roman catholicism.

Other populations I think that hatred is permitted towards, although not necessarily evidenced by posts on this forum, include obese people, smokers, moralists and, I believe anyway although it depends on both the age and how intellectual the company is, anyone displaying any sort of certainty rather than relativistic thinking.

P

Phantonym

It's possible to hate everybody. People inclined to do so will specifically look for something to focus their negativity on and if something sticks out, they go for it.

Maybe hate is too strong of a notion. But publicly criticise, scrutinize, belittle and things along those lines. Sexual orientation, people from other religions, races, historical opposition that still festers, political views, etc. Anything and anyone that is deemed "different" to such a degree that people have strong opinions on them.

Even though there might be large portions of the population who do not engage in such behaviour and do not accept it, there are still people who stir things up, who have strong beliefs and they're not afraid to express their opinions no matter what they are. Sometimes those people are loud enough to be hated as well.

Lark

It's possible to hate everybody. People inclined to do so will specifically look for something to focus their negativity and if something sticks out, they go for it.

Maybe hate is too strong of a notion. But publicly criticise, scrutinize, belittle and things along those lines. Sexual orientation, people from other religions, races, historical opposition that still festers, political views, etc. Anything and anyone that is deemed "different" to such a degree that people have strong opinions on them.

Even though there might be large portions of the population who do not engage in such behaviour and do not accept it, there are still people who stir things up, who have strong beliefs and they're not afraid to express their opinions no matter what they are. Sometimes those people are loud enough to be hated as well.

Generally hating on others is frowned upon but I would suggest it is especially so if the individuals involved belong to particular groups perceived as deserving of sympathy for past or present wrongs.

However, the converse is true that there are those who it seems it is alright to hate on, people encourage it or are complicit in it.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most people don't really think about the origins of their hate, nor do they properly control it as they should. Thus this leads to a dangerous scenarios where unregulated or unjustified hatred causes intolerance, violence, oppression, and other social malities to thrive. Thus it's imperative to understand when to hate, who to hate, and how to hate, without causing our actions to be unjustified.

From an initial standpoint I would reason that hatred should under normal circumstances, be ignored or forgotten, instead replaced by a sense of caringness, or impersonal analysis. If a person is unable to bottle up or ignore hatred entirely, then dispensing that hatred through an outlet is often a good idea, or just generating it towards those that truly deserve. Although the only problem I have with that, is that many different people hate many different things for many different reasons, thus it makes the task of knowing who truly deserves hate a difficult one.

As for the last people its possible to hate, such a minority of people would be either those so pure that they don't naturally offend anyone, or those who actively change who they are to accomdate the agreeableness of others; but eve these kinds of people will still be hated by some. Perhaps then people should try to not hate at all and show more tolerance and kindness to others?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Depends on the country. I believe in the United States it's still possible to hate white Southerners all you like without fear of liberal retaliation.

Motherfuckers.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I thought actually that the most fashionable objects of hate in contemporary society (or at least most of "Western" society) were paedophiles. Of course if Lark is on to something too this could mean that Roman Catholic paedophiles are probably going to be the target of more hatred and gratuitous opprobrium than any other group in existence at present. Now, where has that been an issue lately...? ;)

I have noticed some slight anti-Catholic trends on here, but I think it's mostly coming from a pretty small number of posters who are trolling or have a grudge, though a general suspicion of religion, particularly the "organised" kind seems quite widespread here and probably reflects the forum demographics more than anything.

For many people psychological theories and theology are at odds because they once believed in organised religion (or at least had it drummed into them at an early age) then found that it did not satisfy them and turned to psychology to answer essentially the same questions; therefore coming to see the rejection of religious tenets as something necessary to a developed understanding of human nature, rather than something which could be a complementary approach which could expand understanding by looking at similar issues from a different perspective.

There's also a tendency for people to study psychological matters to further the very popular contemporary goal of achieving a kind of personal spiritual liberation or enlightenment through increased self-knowledge, which is a process and style of thinking that often sets the person at odds with the organised and dogmatic aspects of religion, in particular.

Obviously neither of these things are universal, but common enough that I suspect most psychology forums are going to have a more negative bias towards religion on the whole, (though probably not to "spirituality") than many forums on the net which have a similarly broad demographic with regard to age, educational levels, other interests of the posters, etc. It just seems like the nature of the beast. :thinking:

Lark

Yeah, slight. I'd get into it but I dont want to feed the trolls. Anyway, no ones going to object to associating catholics, all catholics, or at least all catholic clergy with child abuse because of the actions of some, dare me to make a similar statement associating homosexuals with child abuse because most of the offending clergy molested children of the same sex as them? Well, I wouldnt do that, but you get the general idea.

Anyway, an interesting observation by someone I mentioned this topic to was the things which are said routinely about blondes and red headed people, I'd not thought about it but there could be some real prejudices and hate there if you took it seriously, possibly even racism.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would think most people feel it’s acceptable to hate non-repentant child molesters and animal abusers (minus out countries who like to eat animals people in other countries keep as pets, as long as it’s not their pet or in their country). Thieves are also good for hating.

(Your title is perplexing)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
call center reps in other countries... I hear ranting about call center reps in other countries on a daily basis :shock:

F

figsfiggyfigs

As an Arab, I think it's okay to hate the white Man. It is, after all, just returning a favor from the past few centuries.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually keep a list of the local numbers for call centers I call under the theory that the closer they are to me the more likely it is that I can threaten to beat them up if they don't help me and the more likely that they just might beleive me :whistling:

ygolo

My termites win
It OK to hate anyone. Hate is just an emotion, and it is OK.

However, it's probably very unhealthy to hold on to that hate. It's probably, also, imprudent to express that hate in certain settings.

If you hate someone, don't be surprised if they hate you back.

As far as a getting a feeling that you or your kind are being persecuted. That is a different story.

The Nazis obviusly persecuted people, some white people obviously persecuted people during the Jim Crow era, some Christians obviously persecuted people during the crusades. Persecuation is obvious in many cases.

Proving that you are subtly persecuted is very difficult. Also, you cannot be persecuted through the forum, unless you allow yourself to be.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Most people don't really think about the origins of their hate, nor do they properly control it as they should.

Perhaps we need to take a step back and look at the purpose of hate?

In general, I guess I would say that hate is associated with potential for harm/perceived threats. But at what point is this taken too far? I think you are right that people don't think of the origins of their hate as much as they should. Should one hate political opponents for example, simply because they wish to implement an alternative policy? What about those who hate rich people or welfare recipients, even though we don't know them?

And of course, what about forgiveness?

But in general, it is minority groups that are the last to be hated. So I guess the last people to be hated are those who have personally harmed you.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps we need to take a step back and look at the purpose of hate?

In general, I guess I would say that hate is associated with potential for harm/perceived threats. But at what point is this taken too far? I think you are right that people don't think of the origins of their hate as much as they should. Should one hate political opponents for example, simply because they wish to implement an alternative policy? What about those who hate rich people or welfare recipients, even though we don't know them?

I would imagine, that like many other odd adaptions of our peculiar behaviors that we take for granted, that hatred is an evolved response to the complex growth of the social environment; as social skills of our ancestors grew, so did the need to feel hostility towards others. It's also possible that Homo Erectus, Homo Habilis, or even chimpanzees were the first to develop such skills needed in order ot survive certain aspects of the environment. Although know that I think about it it is possible that even rudimentary animals are capable of possessing and expressing hatred. Regardless of origin, it would certainly seem that hatred was a great adapting for our ancestors, but in the present world it is mostly ineffective and dangerous; wars, anti-social atrocities, oppression of millions, death; all result from an abundance of hatred.

But whether hatred can be quelled completely is impossible not on the theoretical scale, but more so on the practical one; if our hatred is an inate thing evolved within us than is is possible to completely rid (or even somewhat) ourselves of it? If not, then of course the discourse as where hatred is generated needs to be considered, less we bottle it up inside (which is unhealthy from what I understand). I'd say that a persons deliberate actions that result in negative consequences should draw hatred from others; such hatred should be proportionate to the actions committed, but ultimatley such hatred shouldn't take any part in the process of punishment or retribution, only the initiave response of dealing with the situation that generated the hatred in the first place, but even then this should prbably be avoided if possible.

And of course, what about forgiveness?

Should alwyas come before hatred; unlike hatred which causes a negative consequence, forgivness often generates a positive one, thus it is utimately of more value to us.

But in general, it is minority groups that are the last to be hated. So I guess the last people to be hated are those who have personally harmed you.

Indeed.