• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask a Muslim

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Silly Peguy, those folks are to Sunni Islam what some of the born again "fundamentalist" Christians are to Protestantism, roughly speaking. ;)

Right, my question, which may help to answer that same question a little more meaningfully. Please rank these in order of importance to you as a Muslim, most to least, and saying if any are of equal importance:

The Qur'an
The prescribed rituals (such as daily prayer and fasting)
The Hadiths
The "Five Pillars of Islam"
Your intuitive personal spirituality/connection with the divine
The guidance and pronouncements of the clerics

Five pillars in the Quran?
There is only one.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Explain the origins and history behind the Koran/Quran and also Mohammed's history, how long did it take him to channel this information? How many were present with him when he did these channellings, and also how many tribes were there? Upon googling expand on the tribes like Quraysh, Hudhayl, Thaqîf, Hawâzin, Kinânah, Tamîm and Yemen if you are able? Also what does Ahrufs mean?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Five pillars in the Quran?
There is only one.

I was referring there not to the Quran, but to the five pillars of Islam, just like I said. They're a widely held traditional doctrine within Islam, the faith itself. Many, especially more "orthodox" muslims, would consider the five pillars to be essential to the fulfiment of the faith; whereas a nontraditionalist, mystic, or Quranist (one who rejects traditional interpretations and sects, and focuses on the text of the Qur'an alone) would probably see them as less important or even irrelevant. That's why I'm asking what I am; her stance on these issues and the relative value she gives to each helps to indicate what sort of Muslim she is, which is something I'm curious about. I'll leave the rest to her. ;)

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yeah, this is going to be an interesting thread

oh and my question

so do muslims use magic like the pagans?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What is one thing you wish was common knowledge about Islam among society?

What is something you think people don't normally know about your religious culture? (I'm trying to think of an example.. but, for example, a woman's menstruation is very sacred for Wiccans.. or Mormons have to do some work for 2 years or something of that effect..)

F

figsfiggyfigs

Never mind this thread. [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION] is an Ne dom.

I'm going to fucking slap you.

Ps: I made this in the most inopportune of times. I don't have internet, and am stealing it atm. Will answer some of you when I get a more stable line.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Have you guys found electricity yet? I know you reject western ideas.

F

figsfiggyfigs

What are the day-to-day challenges of being Muslim in a country where they are the minority?

Bigotry, ignorant racism and the smell of pork.

What do you think of Hip-Hop/R&B?

It sucks. I'm Middle Eastern - not negroid!

Why are you a Muslim?

Because I was raised by a muslim family, so it is a belief I find comfortable.

Do you drink alcohol, do drugs, or gamble?

Sometimes, no, and no.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
could you ever love a nice jewish girl? like me?

F

figsfiggyfigs

It's a serious question. Do you take the written text literally?

Alright. I'll answer seriously.

No. I consider the time it was written in, and the possible interpretation. I like this one(scroll down to the conclusion if you'd like). It compares multiple uses of words and how they should be interpreted, instead of using today's meaning, it consider's the meanings of specific words during the time of its use.

"....and the best among you are those who behave best towards their wives.”

could you ever love a nice jewish girl? like me?

I love me some of you.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a serious question. Do you take the written text literally?
I have read several criticisms of this nature about the Quran - how it says this or that about treatment of women, or other rules. The Bible is no better, though. Taken literally, without regard to context, many of these religious texts become oppressive rather than inspirational. The letter of the law drowns out the spirit. I think our impressions of Islam are skewed by the fact that the most visible Muslims are often the Islamic equivalent of Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson. For a good comparison of Islam, Christianity, and Judaism as lived by modern Americans, see The Faith Club by Idliby, Oliver, and Warner. There is also a website of the same name.

Mole

Permabanned
Proselytisation and Mass Murder

Father Rumble MSC proselytised in Australia for many decades. The technique of proselytisation was called Question and Answer. And Q&A is a common form of proselytisation across many religions.

The technique of Q&A is effective because it puts the questioner in the position of a child asking an all knowing adult for the answer.

And this thread is Islamic proselytisation.

Yet we only have to read the newspapers to discover muslims are waging jihad across the world using mass murder. Almost every day we read about muslims committing mass murder under Jihad and the clear dictates of the Koran.