• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Muhammad (S.A.W.) cartoons and the boundaries of satire

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I am honestly shocked to see that so many TypoC members are so insensitive to what other people find precious.

I believe you can extend the moral justification of those laws to include defamation of something that is spiritually cherished by many.

You people are all far too sensitive about your freedom of speech.

I suppose its somewhat personal in the sense that you are advocating a civil rights violation while demeaning principles which I cherish, but its more an effort to point out the irony in your statements. Why do you think its less serious for you to demean a basic principle of liberal democracy you apparently don't believe in than it is for me to draw attention to the fact that your belief in Mohammed is just that-your belief, and not something to be imposed on others?

A

A window to the soul

Anything can be "right" or "wrong" as long as the two sides agree to it.

Makes sense.

If I was a radical atheist who gets offended when people attend church, would you be obligated to respect my sensibilities?

Hmmm, How close are you standing next to me with your picket sign? : D

Death threats and mob violence can hardly be characterized as "just want you to be respectful".

I think it's beyond that, yes. Though it may have started out as a simple request. Are you familiar with the mob phenomenon from Sociology where people have reduced self-awareness in a crowd? The reduced self-awareness, or anonymity, can lead to uninhibited dangerous mob behavior. People will do crazy destructive things in a crowd that they wouldn't normally do. A few people can fire up an entire herd of sheeple that way.

Why do you think its less serious for you to demean a basic principle of liberal democracy you apparently don't believe in than it is for me to draw attention to the fact that your belief in Mohammed is just that-your belief, and not something to be imposed on others?

Oh behave! :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
[MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION]: I don't understand where you get your passionate philosophies from. They seem radical in nature. There are extremists in every religion, in all walks of life. The good news is, they (radicals) are the minority. Why must you live in fear and spread the hate? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I am mildly conservative like most Australians.

My philosophy and the philosophy of Australians comes from the Scottish and English Enlightenment - in particular the philosophy of Utilitarianism. And the slogan of Utilitarianism is the greatest good for the greatest number.

And we put Utilitarianism into effect using liberal democracy, which is based on the limitation of power.

We describe ourselves as the lucky country. We are economically successful. And we are socially successful with a peaceful, multicultural society and we reject totalitarian philosophies and religions.

And we expect your support.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Do you think it's okay to offend hundreds of millions of people in the name of satire, just for the sake of doing so?
I personally don't think so, and I was pretty mad during the abovementioned controversy. I believe it in inexcusable to mock something so many people find precious and sacred. It was also a pretty stupid move by the newspaper. They must have known that the cartoons would create a big reaction in the Middle East.

If its funny.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Well, it's not difficult. Islam makes Christianity look reasonable.

What is it about the Islamic religion that makes Christianity seem more reasonable. Also, for it to seem such, difference must exist(which does); I am curious to which difference specifically makes Christianity seem more reasonable. Or are you referring to those that practice Islam, in which case, Islam should not make Christianity seem reasonable, but muslims should make Christians seem more reasonable. Otherwise, that's the equivalent of reaching a conclusion that math is bad, because a student is bad in it.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I suppose its somewhat personal in the sense that you are advocating a civil rights violation while demeaning principles which I cherish, but its more an effort to point out the irony in your statements. Why do you think its less serious for you to demean a basic principle of liberal democracy you apparently don't believe in than it is for me to draw attention to the fact that your belief in Mohammed is just that-your belief, and not something to be imposed on others?

It was not personal. You're just sensitive about your freedom of speech. See the difference? Now it got personal, whereas, it was to the open public before. Shh it's okay, I understand your confusion.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you think it's okay to offend hundreds of millions of people in the name of satire, just for the sake of doing so?
I personally don't think so, and I was pretty mad during the abovementioned controversy. I believe it in inexcusable to mock something so many people find precious and sacred. It was also a pretty stupid move by the newspaper. They must have known that the cartoons would create a big reaction in the Middle East.

While I think mockery is frequently a ridiculous way to get laughs, it's not surprising that someone would do this. It pretty much happens to every major event/group. Although, I don't think this was "in the name of satire" so much as it was about getting attention/money, which I'm sure it excelled at. You're giving something a lot of power when you disallow criticism of it.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
What is it about the Islamic religion that makes Christianity seem more reasonable. Also, for it to seem such, difference must exist(which does); I am curious to which difference specifically makes Christianity seem more reasonable. Or are you referring to those that practice Islam, in which case, Islam should not make Christianity seem reasonable, but muslims should make Christians seem more reasonable. Otherwise, that's the equivalent of reaching a conclusion that math is bad, because a student is bad in it.

Blowing up of buses and big buildings; misogyny; generic religious ignorance; homophobia; fanaticism; hypersensitivity to parodies of Mohammed, etc. ad nauseam. Christianity isn't much better, but then isn't quite so egregious.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It might be the most fundamental right, next to the right to live.

Without freedom of speech, you sure as hell can't get to freedom of religion.

A

A window to the soul

Islam is divided into groups that have their own beliefs, yet are all called Muslims. Is that right?

G

Ginkgo

So what if I am? The world is a bleak place without spirituality. As the state of the World deteriorates I find myself seeking comfort in my religion.

I am honestly shocked to see that so many TypoC members are so insensitive to what other people find precious.

What else prompted this discussion?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
It was not personal. You're just sensitive about your freedom of speech. See the difference? Now it got personal, whereas, it was to the open public before. Shh it's okay, I understand your confusion.

Nice attempt to dodge my question....so why should your sensitivity over Mohammed trump my sensitivity over freedom of speech, and how did you fail to notice the irony inherent in the statements I quoted?

You're complaining about a bunch of silly cartoons in a newspaper, I'm complaing about a coordinated attempt by more than fifty countries and several international organizations to drastically weaken the basic civil rights that make liberal democracy possible....so yeah, I'll continue to be 'sensitive' about that.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Nice attempt to dodge my question....so why should your sensitivity over Mohammed trump my sensitivity over freedom of speech, and how did you fail to notice the irony inherent in the statements I quoted?

You're complaining about a bunch of silly cartoons in a newspaper, I'm complaing about a coordinated attempt by more than fifty countries and several international organizations to drastically weaken the basic civil rights that make liberal democracy possible....so yeah, I'll continue to be 'sensitive' about that.

I'm not complaints about a bunch if cartoons that offend my religion. I couldnt care less about the cartoons themselves. This is merely an example of a right people exploite with malicious intent. Get your accusations right.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I'm not complaining about a bunch if cartoons that offend my religion. I couldn't care less about the cartoons themselves. This is merely an example of a right people exploite with malicious intent. Get your accusations right.

Last edited:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I truly am.. People died for it, so I take it very seriously. Without it, many other freedoms are crippled.. it's easy to say, "Yes you have freedom of religion.." but without free speech, you truly don't. Imagine if you were allowed to be Islamic, but it was traitorous to speak or preach about it? It doesn't work that way. It can't. You need both for it to work. They're interconnecting cogs--you lose both without speech.

I also feel freedom of speech affects more than just religious people as well.. society-wise, as a whole, freedom of speech is a bigger picture. Everyone talks.. but not everyone prays.

Oh lawd. Context fail.

Agreed only to an extent. It is shameful, for me, to see Middle Eastern extremist cultures guise their lack of respect as "religion".. Islam never claims the right to control women, blow up cars, etc. People create this to tailor things to their wants and desires. Islam, out of the three religions, probably gives women the most respect and rights.. yet, the culture reflects otherwise many times. The religion itself is not to blame, but separating who is "truly" Islamic from those who have been raised to think it is okay to do these things in the name of Islam is very difficult to distinguish..

To summarize: It is hard for me to think of people as blatantly hating on religion when they see these acts and cultural divides.. but I also feel bad for the people who make Islam a beautiful thing. The same way it's hard for me to think atheists are cruel people for their strict, harsh words towards Christians.. but I feel for some Christians as well.

I think she's putting emphasis on the fact that this is just a very sacred thing. No one would think twice about peeing on an abandoned building--but peeing on a church would be a bit more disrespectful. I can understand this.. but freedom of speech, for many, is a sacred thing as well. As I mentioned earlier, not everyone prays.

And there are times where I think the line should be drawn.. But I don't think inhibiting freedom of speech is the way to draw that line. In the case of a newspaper posting that, a boycotting of it and rallying together would be more likely of a way to pressure the people into being more respectful. Freedom of speech does not exclude consequences. They have a right to post that, or anything else they want, about Islam.. But I think they'd be unwise in doing so.

Word of mouth is a very sharp sword in society.. A business gets flagged as being "unpatriotic" by screwing over one soldier (an example being Delta airlines incident recently), and before you know it policies are changed, big-wigs are apologizing, things are set into place, etc.

I felt this as well.. Being different does not mean more reasonable. Christians can be just as extremist and unbearable as extremist Islamic people.
For my general rule of thumb.. if it [religion] isn't bringing or breeding happiness, it isn't working right.

While I think mockery is frequently a ridiculous way to get laughs, it's not surprising that someone would do this. It pretty much happens to every major event/group. Although, I don't think this was "in the name of satire" so much as it was about getting attention/money, which I'm sure it excelled at. You're giving something a lot of power when you disallow criticism of it.

^ This is how I feel as well. A joke isn't funny unless both sides are laughing. It's the difference between a Roast, and that one guy off Seinfeld who'll be labeled a racist for the rest of his life.
Bullying 101 is that the more attention to you give something, the more power it has. I wonder how many times a senator or president has to shrug off an offensive comment or joke just to go about his business everyday.. The bigger something is in society, the more people will say about it on all ends in general.

It might be the most fundamental right, next to the right to live.

Without freedom of speech, you sure as hell can't get to freedom of religion.

Stole the words from my mouth.

I'm not complaining about a bunch if cartoons that offend my religion. I couldn't care less about the cartoons themselves. This is merely an example of a right people exploite with malicious intent. Get your accusations right.

As long as something exists, humanity will find a way to exploit it. Fortunately, I think there are plenty of people willing to protect and stand firm against those parasites that we only need to worry about a small number of incidents instead of a slew of attacks.

G

Ginkgo

I wonder how many people are even aware enough about Islam to joke about it correctly.