• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you rather have a child, or live forever?

Would you rather have a child, or live forever?

• Total voters

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Would you rather have a child, or live forever? A simple choice.

Due to popular demand, additional conditions:
Lets also assume that your family line will last indefinitely if you choose to have a child.
Living forever means that you will always have the health of a middle-aged person.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know what I ought to choose (child) versus what I'd be soooo tempted to choose (immortality). Not sure what would win out when the moment arrived. Must think on this.

BTW: I assume a biological child? No cheating by being immortal and adopting?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know what I ought to choose (child) versus what I'd be soooo tempted to choose (immortality). Not sure what would win out when the moment arrived. Must think on this.

Just curious: What is the "ought" based on? Why is that the "ought to" choice?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just curious: What is the "ought" based on? Why is that the "ought" choice?

Has nothing to do with a responsibility to produce progeny and everything to do with no one person being meant to make their mark on the universe for all eternity.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has ...everything to do with no one person being meant to make their mark on the universe for all eternity.

I grasp that and generally feel the same way. My basis for such a thought would be generally that I am no better or more special than anyone else in the universe, I'm just human. So I am accepting my definition as a human being, as I see it on a universal and human-wide scale. Was your reasoning similar or is there a different basis for your belief here?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I grasp that and generally feel the same way. My basis is generally that I am no better or more special than anyone else in the universe, I'm just human. So I am accepting my definition as a human being, as I see it on a universal and human-wide scale. Was your reasoning similar or is there a different basis for your belief here?

Somewhat. I believe an immortal individual would be a danger to the rest of mortal humanity. I'm sure some will argue that a neverending existence to learn and change and absorb what the universe has to offer could lead to some inspirational, nirvanic Dr. Manhattan state of being blah blah blah, but I seriously doubt this. I'm thinking insanity is more likely and for all we know, there is little difference between total nirvana and total madness. I don't like the idea that no matter what we have to fight for or who we pit ourselves against or how we grow and change as a species, the last man standing will be a crazy relic from eons prior with a completely counterpoint agenda to ours (that being to make what we can of our LIMITED time here)

And who'd want to be that immortal straggler when existence as we know it fails to move onto new frontiers and goes bust instead? A grim thought indeed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds like a Harlan Ellison story in the making. :)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't want to be immortal I just am not looking forward to the whole dieing/getting old/poor health thing. Could I get a prepaid governess thrown in on the deal? (no cheating by saying 'yeah' and then giving me a wife).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol I've given immortality a lot of thought. I always thought it was a common intuitive pondering.

I remember being terrified of immortality when I was five, I'd have nightmares.
The thought of living forever was far beyond what my mind could deal with at that time.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Have a child.

The idea of living forever, i know for myself means i'll just take everything for granted. I like the idea of knowing i won't be around forever and from this i'll appreciate the people who come into my life, feel a sense of accomplishment when i achieve my goals, and be grateful for the little things. Could you imagine the pain of outliving those you love, oh the anguish. No, it's not for me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd rather live forever.

I'd probably end up killing the child if I had one. They annoy me. It's sad that one has to go through such torture just to spread their essence to the next generation.

And look, I didn't capitalize my pronouns!

rav3n

Easy choice! Mortal and child. Living forever would be boring after the first century.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Easy choice! Mortal and child. Living forever would be boring after the first century.

But at least you'd have plenty of time to procrastinate now without regretting it later. And you could also just laugh at those "Life's too short" lectures.

rav3n

But at least you'd have plenty of time to procrastinate now without regretting it later. And you could also just laugh at those "Life's too short" lectures.
But that's what makes life so sweet, knowing it will end and enjoying the moments as they happen. S'truth for me! Spent too much of my life in the future already, looking for the next greatest challenge.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Jordan: Will we always be together ?
Frank Black: yes.
Jordan: Always ?
Frank Black: Well, nobody gets forever.

Lark

I'd like to live forever but as always with the caveat of some kind of eternal youth or slowing of the aging process, I'd not like to live as a zombi, cyborg or vampire either.

MBTI Type
INTJ
This almost feels like a trick question to me, like "Would you rather have a slice of cake or a punch in the face?"

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I remember being terrified of immortality when I was five, I'd have nightmares.
The thought of living forever was far beyond what my mind could deal with at that time.

Me, too. I'd think about it for long periods of time and freak myself out. To be honest, the idea of immortality still kind of freaks me out. I want an escape hatch. I'm not sure why it would be desirable about it, if I outlived everyone I loved.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd rather live forever.

I'd probably end up killing the child if I had one. They annoy me. It's sad that one has to go through such torture just to spread their essence to the next generation.

And look, I didn't capitalize my pronouns!

... No, you just described how you'd end up killing children.
(killing children = not getting invited to people's summer pool parties)

Just sayin'.

Me, too. I'd think about it for long periods of time and freak myself out. To be honest, the idea of immortality still kind of freaks me out. I want an escape hatch. I'm not sure why it would be desirable about it, if I outlived everyone I loved.

It would involve a lot of loss. I might deal for a bit if there were other people to bond with, but the idea of being trapped in eternity in my own head / a world with no other conscious mind in it, with nothing but my own echoes to respond to, seems like utter hell. That's what depression is like... being caged within yourself.

Change and aging is the nature of things in the world.