• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difficulty Finding a Religion to Belong To

Lark

I was thinking about this last night, it might be more possible in the US than anyplace else but there arent a lot of new Churches or religions coming into existence these days.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems like there are quite a bit of Unitarian Universalism suggestions here... I went and took the Beliefnet Belief-O-Matic quiz to see what I came out as, just out of sheer curiosity... the top 10 results are:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (93%)
3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (91%)
4. Secular Humanism (78%)
5. Neo-Pagan (74%)
6. New Age (69%)
7. Reform Judaism (63%)
8. Orthodox Quaker (62%)
9. Theravada Buddhism (60%)
10. New Thought (59%)

On that site, from looking at the descriptions of Unitarian Universalism, and Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants, they seem the closest to my beliefs. Two routes to explore. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what varieties of Protestants are considered liberal or mainline?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I always read Quaker as Quacker.

Sorry not sorry Ivy.

As for CF, I'm still a bit confused as to why you need a religion per se, and not just continue to have, seek, and deepen a personal relationship with God. But of those choices, UU seems to be what you're looking for.

F

figsfiggyfigs

As for CF, I'm still a bit confused as to why you need a religion per se, and not just continue to have, seek, and deepen a personal relationship with God. But of those choices, UU seems to be what you're looking for.
^ This.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
have you tried looking into unitarian universalism? they welcome people of all religions and emphasize personal choice and individual spiritual growth. i attend uu services when the mood strikes me. :)

http://www.uua.org/beliefs/6798.shtml

I was going to suggest this.. though I decided to read through the thread first. Good thing I did. ;)

EDIT: I also felt very welcome in a Reformed Jewish Temple, they seem to be very progressive. I'm not sure how this sort of thing would play out in the long run, though.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can totally understand the need for SOMETHING, even if it doesn't make any logical sense to you whatsoever. I almost think that by this point that the need for some sort of beleif in something bigger is inborn in humanity thanks to centuries upon centuries of beleiving in something :)

I have a thread from a year ago on the same topic here... more bluntly phrased as "what sort of bastard god would make someone who WANTS to beleive in something and feels a need to, but just can't?!?" :thelook:

G

Ginkgo

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that she's looking for an affiliation with like-minded people, though not necessarily of a religious nature. That way, she can have some form of support in an appropriate atmosphere. Humans, while they may be greasy disease laden animals, are also gregarious, which allows them to amplify their disturbing wails in chorus.

G

Ginkgo

Seems like there are quite a bit of Unitarian Universalism suggestions here... I went and took the Beliefnet Belief-O-Matic quiz to see what I came out as, just out of sheer curiosity... the top 10 results are:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (93%)
3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (91%)
4. Secular Humanism (78%)
5. Neo-Pagan (74%)
6. New Age (69%)
7. Reform Judaism (63%)
8. Orthodox Quaker (62%)
9. Theravada Buddhism (60%)
10. New Thought (59%)

On that site, from looking at the descriptions of Unitarian Universalism, and Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants, they seem the closest to my beliefs. Two routes to explore. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what varieties of Protestants are considered liberal or mainline?

Here.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that she's looking for an affiliation with like-minded people, though not necessarily of a religious nature. That way, she can have some form of support in an appropriate atmosphere. Humans, while they may be greasy disease laden animals, are also gregarious, which allows them to amplify their disturbing wails in chorus.

LOL!!!!

Yes, you are correct though, I am looking for affiliation with like-minded people, definitely.

Lark

The dichotomy between religion and loving God or a personal relationship with God isnt one which I entertain really.

Its a little like saying why would you have an interest in politics or ideology if you can have a personal relationship with your local politician or neighbourhood politicos.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're looking for like-minded people, I'd seriously consider self-worship or cloning.

MBTI Type
INTJ
After reading your OP, I was going to suggest that you investigate the Quakers, and then I saw it came up #2 on your BeliefNet test. They're not as dogmatic as many religions, and it's as close as I can think of to a religion that lets you have both your personal relationship with God as well as a community.

I've had many of the same feelings as you have on this subject. I definitely believe in God, and I think that even empirically the existence of God is as likely as not. But I'm less convinced by the particular dogma of any individual religion. I was raised Catholic, and out of familiarity and tradition I'll still go to a Catholic church if I want to go to a church, but I think if I'm anything, I'm a Deist. You might be one too.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After reading your OP, I was going to suggest that you investigate the Quakers, and then I saw it came up #2 on your BeliefNet test. They're not as dogmatic as many religions, and it's as close as I can think of to a religion that lets you have both your personal relationship with God as well as a community.

I've had many of the same feelings as you have on this subject. I definitely believe in God, and I think that even empirically the existence of God is as likely as not. But I'm less convinced by the particular dogma of any individual religion. I was raised Catholic, and out of familiarity and tradition I'll still go to a Catholic church if I want to go to a church, but I think if I'm anything, I'm a Deist. You might be one too.

The best thing to do, I think, is to research the top results I got, and see which one best suits me. I haven't considered deism... but it's something I'll research as well. If anything, the knowledge gained will be worth it. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
The dichotomy between religion and loving God or a personal relationship with God isnt one which I entertain really.

Its a little like saying why would you have an interest in politics or ideology if you can have a personal relationship with your local politician or neighbourhood politicos.

I think if you want to compare religion to politics to illuminate this concept, a more apt comparison would be, say, approving of Obama as president while thinking the Democratic party is BS. When people embrace God and not religion, it's about the perceived disconnect between God and religion. It's like a singer with a crazy fan club. You can be a fan of the singer's work while wanting to keep your distance from the nutsos in the fan club. I don't think I should have to be bound by the rules of a compromised, human construct like a religion in order to have access to God. God and religion are related but not inextricably linked concepts.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

That's exactly what I thought when I first discovered this thread.