• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fixation on fashion

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't care about brand names or the current fashion trends, I have simple tastes, and I'm extremely cheap, but I do care very much about how things look and feel.

If I had the money I'd probably buy whatever I thought looked best, which would most likely include quite expensive clothes. Now I buy what I need, and spend very little on clothes.

I'm not sure where that puts me.

...wherever I am, because I think the same thing? :huh:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I wasn't asking what clothes are used for.

Sure you were:

Why do people feel they need to parade around with money signs on their collar, or spend ample amounts of time at a beauty parlor or in front of the mirror? Are we that important and is it necessary to display that image of prestige? Is that even what it is? What do you think?

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't care about brand names or the current fashion trends, I have simple tastes, and I'm extremely cheap, but I do care very much about how things look and feel.

If I had the money I'd probably buy whatever I thought looked best, which would most likely include quite expensive clothes. Now I buy what I need, and spend very little on clothes.

I'm not sure where that puts me.

I find this is true for me as well. When I find something well made that will last a long time it usually is expensive. If I can afford it at the time, I do. I wear/use it for a long time and it usually turns out being cheaper than buying something that will have worn out sooner. For example, I have a Coach bag I've been using for 2 years. (I guess this is not a good example because it was given to me by a rich friend who already had several!) I would have worn out more bags for the $150 this one cost and this one still looks brand new. I have to admit I secretly (not anymore) like having a Coach bag. It appeals to something "keep up with the joneses" in me that I would rather not admit to having, but I do. I try to kill it in me, but it is there. Mostly, I wear T-shirts and jeans (Wal-Mart :).) I admire those women (mostly ESFJ's it seems to me) who always look "put together" and I know that they are on a budget like mine. That takes time and thought and something I'm obviously missing.

Last edited:

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
As a rule, fashion doesn't matter at all. I dress alright and probably spend way too freaking much on clothes. My main targets are reliability, sensibility, precision, and aesthetics (to me, at least). This means a lot of solid colors, some simple patterns, and stuff that is really durable and/or precise.

I wear Doc Martens because the old Made in England ones lasted a really long time and were exceptionally comfortable, which meant they compared favorably to cheaper shoes. The style didn't matter to me. The new Chinese ones suck (and feel crappy), so I'm planning to get some Solovair shoes next time (those are actually made in England and produced by one of the same companies that made the old Doc Martens). Basically, I like stuff I can depend on. Quality clothing from certain name/designer brands (not their outlet center stuff) seems to last distinctly longer than cheap clothing. Then again, the same is true of most US-made clothing.

I bought some cheaper stuff recently because that's where mom wanted to go, and it really shows in the rate of wear. I've lost three shirts in less than a year to wear due to their lower quality, while I have a long-sleeve Polo shirt that I wore in my regular rotation (once a week) for 6 years and it shows only minor wear. Loss of buttons on the pockets of cheaper pants is an ongoing problem, too...

On Saturday I realized that on an average day I'm wearing/carrying ~1.4k worth of stuff between my cell phone, ipod, sunglasses, clothes, shoes, knife, belt, etc. The majority of that is in my cell phone, sunglasses, and ipod (1k worth of it), followed by concentrations in my shoes, knife, and belt, while actual clothing only accounts for about 120-150 of the total most days. Winter outfitting adds about 500-600 to that. My laptop bag adds about 3k when I'm carrying it, down from 6k 5 years ago.

When I went for a walk down to the border on Saturday, and standing where I was on the north side (which is almost entirely devoid of life) with the masses of people on the south side looking through the fence at me, the disparity is amazing. I mean, I was wearing and carrying probably 3-5 years worth of income for some of the people on the other side of that fence... It doesn't surprise me at all that that they will brave dangerous crossings and work for next-to-nothing in the US.

file cabinet

I find fashion.... fun. about a year ago I met someone I thought was interesting and started buying a bunch of clothes I thought would make her interested in me... then I realized I liked dressing up and finding different things to wear. I spent way too much on clothes for the next couple of months. I really like going out to the dance clubs wearing the craziest shit I can find. I see it as a form of expression/creativity. I am occasionally amazed at how well some girls can dress.

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
How do you view fashion and spending large amounts of money towards it? Big name brands, staying current on trends.
Suckers. It's just sad.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I really like going out to the dance clubs wearing the craziest shit I can find. I see it as a form of expression/creativity.
By "craziest shit" you mean anything that isn't black, white, brown, or gray. . . correct?

file cabinet

By "craziest shit" you mean anything that isn't black, white, brown, or gray. . . correct?

I have found it's the accessories that really make or break it. A few weeks ago I brought masks and gave them away to people.
tml_masks_wheeeee.jpg