• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Of what use is philosophy?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Philosophy broadens our horizons only to tell us there is nothing meaningful to see.

But it's still argueably better than not seeing anything at all.

xisnotx

Permabanned
If you are looking for an absolute answer I think philosophy itself will tell you it will not..or cannot...provide an answer. Why I do philosophy is simple...I can't not do it for any extensive period of time. I can turn it off...but I can't kill it. It's what I do when I'm not doing anything and at the same time it's what I'm doing when I'm doing everything. I can't imagine not doing it. An existence without it seems incomprehensible to me.

Indeed, the question isn't so much "Why am I doing philosophy?" but "Why can't I not do philosophy?"

In short, I guess, my answer is..I do it because I choose to. The one alternative is something I don't want to face until I'm old and grey.

Of what use is philosophy? Ultimately, of what use is anything? Of what use is the bridge I cross every morning? Philosophy, like the bridge, gets me where I need to go. Does that make sense? Probably not...but it's one of the few things I have.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Do you employ what philosophy you know? How?

If it isn't applicable, it is worthless to me.

I find many philosophies very useful in finding a sane perspective to look at the world. For example, I think phenomenology has really good points (even if I don't understand it as well as I would like to). It seems to me like many people think they look at the world from some sort of objective point of view, and there is just no way it could be the first layer of your perception. So, phenomenology comes in handy when trying to see this. In a similar way, existentialism gives me some tools in seeing myself as the deciding agent of my life. This is balanced by sociological ideas, though. Recently I found some interesting philosophical twists of quantum mechanics that balances against the too newtonian view that still seems to haunt the collective mind.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't actually study philosophy academically except what gems are passed onto me in discussions. But I do philosophise. I'm mostly interested in the practical, which to me always comes down to: "Why should we bother?", "What should we strive for?". I understand some people don't feel the need to ask themselves that question, but I'm guessing those people have never had the existential rug pulled out from under them. I needed something to grab onto when everything I was taught to value lost meaning.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm guessing those people have never had the existential rug pulled out from under them. I needed something to grab onto when everything I was taught to value lost meaning.

Yeah. And then you get to the point where it becomes clear that there is no need for the rug at all, and then an integration to the society becomes more difficult than ever before.

:solidarity:

G

Ginkgo

Philosophy hones your abilities to distinguish truth from untruth, to make wise decisions, stressing clarity and intelligibility in thought and communication.

G

Ginkgo

Philosophy is useless like poetry. We do philosophy for its own sake. We do philosophy because it tickles our brain. Hey, we do philosophy because it puts us in the zone.

Doing something for its own sake is of the highest value. We lose ourselves and employ our highest faculties. We enter the flow.

It is not work but it is leisure that is dignified. And what do we do with leisure? We turn to philosophy.

The Ancient Greeks knew that leisure was the highest good and it was the Ancient Greeks who laid the foundations of Western philosophy.

But there are still those who tell us, "Arbeit macht frei", (Work shall make us free) but it is a spectacular lie over the gates of hell.

The Calvinists tell us the devil makes work for idle hands, and those hands must be put to work by capitalists to save our souls.

But we know work is for slaves and philosophy for the free.

Que?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. And then you get to the point where it becomes clear that there is no need for the rug at all, and then an integration to the society becomes more difficult than ever before.

Aw hell, we never had a shot at integrating anyway. :solidarity:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've seen many posters on here waffle about philosophical books and theories yet few actually employ them with wit and skill.

Is philosophy of use or is it merely an academic subject like religious education?
Do you employ what philosophy you know? How?

Thoughtful.

careful
heedful
regardful
mindful
kindly
kind hearted
neighbourly
friendly
attentive
considerate
circumspect
wary
watchful
discreet
prudent

studious
serious
sober
quiet

It is a kind of irony. Free association does not aim to be a good sport.
It is therefore it is a good sport.

What is the purpose of a creation? Why are we here?
Gauguin named a painting:
Where do we come from? Where are we going?

Curiosity is expectation.
The Calvinists do not ask.
I have worked in a Dutch farm, believe me, I know.
Unexpectation is such a bad habit.

One day, at a breakfast table, I took another slice of cheese.
They all looked at me in utter amazement.
And yet they all knew.
A thing like that was bound to happen. One day.

There is always the unexpected. Be wary. :)

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Philosophy hones your abilities to distinguish truth from untruth, to make wise decisions, stressing clarity and intelligibility in thought and communication.

Unless you read post-modern philosophy. :ninja:

Mole

Permabanned
Philosophy creates us.

Philosophy no more has a use than I do, for I am an end in myself, I have no need to justify my existence by being useful. Tools are useful, tools are a means to an end, and I am that end.

So it is a mistake to think of philosophy as a tool.

They often tell me that things are neither good nor bad, it's just how we use them. In other words, they are just tools for our use. And so after a while we start to think that people are just tools for our use. Capital used to refer to employees as 'hands', not people but just 'hands' to be used in manual labour.

And the same kind of mistake is made with media whether it is print media or electronic media. We are told the media are just tools, they are not intrinsically good or bad, it just depends how we use them.

But philosophy, like media, is far more important than that, for we create philosophy and philosophy creates us.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I came to understand philosophy including psychoanalysis and every other pseudoscience as Te-central where they can have fun.

I like philosophy as long as it doesnt steal every idea from physics, if philosophy is needed to generate new ideas, I doubt that. But we need philosophy as a faculty to question the status quo and our political or economical system. People nowadays have grown very lazy of reflecting on anything or questioning anything and in that light the need for a philosophical reflection or debate of reality is in my opinion atm the highest

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
If one needs to drive a nail, then a hammer is useful.

If one is troubled by some philosophical quandary, then studying philosophy can be useful.

If not, then not.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seeing as how logic and ethics fall within philosophy, I think the practical use of philosophy is rather obvious.

More indirectly, though, I think it is also a mental exercise, and it can improve one's ability to solve practical problems.

For me, it's also entertaining.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Philosophy no more has a use than I do, for I am an end in myself, I have no need to justify my existence by being useful. Tools are useful, tools are a means to an end, and I am that end.

So it is a mistake to think of philosophy as a tool.

They often tell me that things are neither good nor bad, it's just how we use them. In other words, they are just tools for our use. And so after a while we start to think that people are just tools for our use. Capital used to refer to employees as 'hands', not people but just 'hands' to be used in manual labour.

And the same kind of mistake is made with media whether it is print media or electronic media. We are told the media are just tools, they are not intrinsically good or bad, it just depends how we use them.

But philosophy, like media, is far more important than that, for we create philosophy and philosophy creates us.

Yes.
This is what I tried to say.
Thank you, Victor.

We are back to Paul's painting.
What is the purpose of existence? = what is the use of philosophy?
Purpose is about use.

Philosophy is about what is.

G

Ginkgo

Philosophy is about what is.

This!

Vc6Q2.gif