• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is logic?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Therefore, good philosophers define their ideas before they begin discussing them so that everyone can follow their reasoning without getting lost in debates on semantics.
Ok I get you and agree. You're saying that new concepts should be defined prior to further discussion, if I understand correctly.

Somehow I intuitively got the idea of a delaying tactic, that of wearing down the opponent by demanding definitions for everything. I'm in a bad mood today.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Ok I get you and agree. You're saying that new concepts should be defined prior to further discussion, if I understand correctly.

Somehow I intuitively got the idea of a delaying tactic, that of wearing down the opponent by demanding definitions for everything. I'm in a bad mood today.

I noticed.

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
What's an ESFP doing in this section? I couldn't even begin to explain what logic means to me. Mostly because it barely exists to me.. hmm. Very interesting topic, though...

Mole

Permabanned
I couldn't even begin to explain what logic means to me. Mostly because it barely exists to me.. hmm. Very interesting topic, though...

Logic begins with an injunction.

And that injunction is -

"Make a distinction".

And why should logic begin with an injunction?

And the answer is that we perceive by making distinctions.

So if we are to see, we must first make a distinction.

And of course the more distinctions, the more we see.

As you say, this is interesting, because as an artist you are learning to see. So in other words, you are learning to make new distinctions.

And this is interesting, for not only is art based on distinctions, but all of mathematics is based on distinctions.

So art and mathematics are one.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1)The most common academical definition is a study of arguments. Such a study is mostly concerned with deductive reasoning. E.G separating arguments that are valid from invalid. A valid argument is known as one where the conclusion is entailed by the premise, an invalid is one where a conclusion can be false whilst the premises are true.

2)Some academical definitions expand onto inductive. This has little to do with deductive validity or invalidity, it has more to do with how likely arguments are to be true. Under this very broad definition of logic, it is simply defined as a method that determines how likely an argument is to arrive at the truth. An argument that is deemed very likely to do so is called inductively strong and one that is not likely is regarded as inductively weak.

3)Conventional people tend to regard logic as simply any chain of reasoning. A logician's reasoning contains just as much 'logic' as that of a politician or a Jerry Springer attendant. In addition to this, they tend to regard whatever they think is good, true or in a way desirable as 'logical'. In short, they tend to see it as a mere rhetorical instrument to make a certain viewpoint worthy of reflection or acceptance.

4)In conclusion, it may be possible to arrive at a clear and a consistent academical definition of logic, especially if we embrace the definition of point 1 and discard the definition of point 2, yet when dealing with ordinary people, we are far less likely to. That is the case simply because they tend to regard anything that they think is agreeable to their own views as 'logic' or 'logical'.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Logic is a game that I play when it suits my purposes.

As I recently explained to a friend, it's completely separate (to me) from reason and being reasonable.

Logic is something that you apply in situations like logic puzzles, solving the Rubik's cube, mathematics etc.

Reason is the art of providing justification.

Being "reasonable" is considering whether something is justifiable or not, i.e. considering the reasons and using personal values to judge/negotiate.

As a concrete example: If you believe that Jews are the scourge of the world, Hitler's solution of gassing them would be the logical step to take. This was an obviously reasoned process, yet it was not justifiable.

So, it is possible to provide reasons for something, yet have it be obviously unreasonable.

That is part of the reason why I think the T/F scale on the MBTI is ridiculous. What is "using your head" or "using your heart"? They are both aspects of the same thing.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
this is one of those things where you say
"if you have to ask..."
right?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Logic is a method (or an ensamble of methods) to correcly derive (deduce) propositions from other proposition, preserving the truth or falsehood property.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Actually inductive has less to do with validity - either deductive or inductive arguments can be valid but how it is derived. Inductive reasoning goes from the specific to the general and deductive from the general to the specific.

Juggernaut - my bread and jam too. Wanna have a tea party? I'll bring the sandwiches.