• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prayer in school

F

figsfiggyfigs

I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding this hot potato, but what do you think of having a mandatory few minutes of prayer in school?
Personally, I am a supporter of this, if you go to a religious school. I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values,

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I think that anyone who wants to pray should probably pray, and anyone who doesn't want to pray probably shouldn't pray. But how on earth could we ever reach a compromise if some people want to pray, and some people don't? How could we possibly provide an environment where individuals can do more than one thing AND maintain the etiquette that we hold in high esteem, to live and let live. How, I ask you?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding this hot potato, but what do you think of having a mandatory few minutes of prayer in school?
Personally, I am a supporter of this. I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values.

You lost me at this word.

Do you live in the U.S.? If so, have you no respect for the First Amendment?

Look, I have no problem with people praying whenever they want, but if you're going to force me to pray in a religion I don't believe in, then I'm going to have to throw rotten eggs at you.

F

figsfiggyfigs

You lost me at this word.

Do you live in the U.S.? If so, have you no respect for the First Amendment?

Look, I have no problem with people praying whenever they want, but if you're going to force me to pray in a religion I don't believe in, then I'm going to have to throw rotten eggs at you.

It doesn't matter what religion, as long as you pray.

/DG/

It doesn't matter what religion, as long as you pray.

No.

That's not the point. What if a child belongs to a religion that doesn't pray? What if a child has been brought up by good parents who have taught them good morals but he/she is an athiest? What if a child values spirituality over religion? What if...?

Stay away from my school.

F

figsfiggyfigs

No.

That's not the point. What if a child belongs to a religion that doesn't pray? What if a child has been brought up by good parents who have taught them good morals but he/she is an athiest? What if a child values spirituality over religion? What if...?

Stay away from my school.

I'd like to see a religion where prayer isn't possible. And I don't understand why you are so resistant to the idea. Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery, so students could dedicate the prayers to sick people in genuine need. Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.

Within

Permabanned
I'd like to see a religion where prayer isn't possible. And I don't understand why you are so resistant to the idea. Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery, so students could dedicate the prayers to sick people in genuine need. Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.

I hope that the one who conducted these studies was not a desert-dwelling hag with a rusty blade in her hand.

/DG/

Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery
That's all fine and dandy, but I believe the power of mind is at play here. You might want to take into account confirmation bias, optimism, self-fulfilling prophecies, etc.

Why am I resistant to the idea? I like to wake up in the morning and smell a big cup of freedom. Try and take that away from me and I'll be crabby and irritable.

Really, I'm against forced anything, but religion is a biggie. You can never force anyone to believe in anything, so why are you trying for mandatory prayer upon people?

Like I said, pray if you want, but don't force people to do it with you.

Instead... why not propose some sort of self-esteem/team-building/whatever classes/activities or something along those lines? I have no idea what they would be like, but the goal is similar to the OP.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And I don't understand why you are so resistant to the idea. Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery, so students could dedicate the prayers to sick people in genuine need. Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.

First, I think studies on the efficacy of prayer have had more mixed results than the picture you are painting. Study results have been far from consistent.

Secondly, you sound dubious about moral atheists. Again, the picture here is more complex than you seem to think. In the US, for example, the most religious areas have some of the highest crime rates, illiteracy rates, rates of teen pregnancy, etc. Some of the least religious states in Europe have some of the lowest crime rates. If the effects of religion were strong, we would expect the opposite. What we actually find is is that levels of poverty and income disparity have a higher correlation than religiosity itself. Likewise, any real study on morality and religious teaching would have to properly separate organized teaching of ethical and moral codes from religious teaching, levels of income disparity, etc. There's clearly value in teaching a consistent ethical framework, and in some societies such teaching is often paired with religious instruction.

Finally, students are free to pray silently as they wish. To quote Matthew "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." There's plenty of time during the week for religious instruction and prayer outside of school hours without making a public, federally funded spectacle of it. (Note privately funded religious institutions remain free to do as they wish.) Even many who are religious wouldn't necessarily feel great about a weekly schedule calling for "Islamic Prayer Day," "Christian Prayer Day," "Buddhist Prayer Day," "Hindu Prayer Day" and "Atheists' Call For Ethical Behavior Given the Non-existence of God Day." How would you feel about such a schedule (though admittedly, it leaves out the agnostics, Confucianists, etc)?

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5

If we want to begin with studies, religion should be banished from schools because most studies showed that religious people are more prone to commit a criminal action, including murder and rape, averagely are more egoistic in their approach to other people, averagely are less intelligent and you can carry that list on and on, but that's not the point. The point is, we live in a free world - or, we SHOULD live in a free world - and mandatory praying is extremely bothersome if you don't want to. I were raised catholic and were on a catholic school with mandatory praying although I were not religious anymore since I were 10 when I read the bible. I simply felt supressed by it, and it accomplished nothing but making me angry. Also, if I compare the people that were raised atheistic with the ones that were raised catholic(like myself) on basis of their morality, the atheists win by far. In fact, most of them are incredibly selfless. A problem I often observed in religious education is that they put more weight into religiousity than morality, or in other words, they rather reward someone who acts like a douchebag, but says he would be religious than a nice guy who says he wouldn't be religious. I'm definitely not saying that this is the case with EVERY religious education, but it's a mantrap they easily can fall into.

Imho, there should be less of a discussion about how you clad it, but we should spend more time teaching actual, practical morality ITSELF, completely autonomous from whether you're catholic, evangelic, baptistic, jewish, atheistic or whatever. Voluntary praying is definitely doing good things to some people, but mandatory praying is just a waste of time.

Last edited:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery.

ArmorOfGod303x251.jpg

:jesus:

Blessing Before Major Surgery

Major surgery always has the risk of complications and, in some cases, death. The following prayer is designed for patients undergoing risky or complicated surgery that puts their lives at risk, that God might bless them and keep them no matter what happens on the operating table:

“God the Father, have mercy on [insert patient’s name]. God the Son, have mercy on [insert patient’s name]. God the Holy Spirit, grant [insert patient’s name] peace. Bless [insert patient’s name], Your beloved child, as he/she enters surgery, so that, no matter what happens, he/she is secure in Your love. Comfort all who wait for news of [insert patient’s name]’s surgery, and remind them they are not alone in You. Amen.”

This prayer is designed as a blessing for the patient so that he/she is reminded of God’s love for him/her. The language indicates that, if the patient does die during the surgery, he/she is secure in God’s love forever.

The family sharing this prayer may also choose to prepare themselves in case the patient does not make it by sharing stories, saying what is on their hearts, and offering additional prayers and rituals, such as anointing or last rites, depending upon the family’s particular Christian practices.

Prayer to Cope With Complications of Surgery

Sometimes, a surgery does not go as planned. The patient may need additional surgery, or the surgery may reveal other health problems. The following prayer offers comfort and support to a Christian and his/her family in the face of difficult post-surgery news:

“God, be with [insert patient’s name] and those who love him/her as [insert patient’s name] struggles with [insert complications of surgery]. Hold [insert patient’s name] tightly in Your healing embrace, and let him/her know that he/she is never alone in You. Comfort all who mourn this news, and let them, too, know that You weep with them and hope for the best. Amen.”

A family or friends might share this prayer after news of complications during surgery in the hospital waiting room or other gathering place. Participants might offer specific prayers of healing for the patient and hold hands, if desired, to increase support and connection during this difficult time.

Thanksgiving for a Successful Surgery

Most surgeries end successfully, to the relief of everyone involved. The following thanksgiving offers the patient and his/her family a means to rejoice in a successful surgery:

“Loving God, thank you for bringing [insert patient’s name] safely through surgery. We rejoice in the technology, skill, and compassion that have healed [insert patient’s name] this day. Be with him/her and all who love him/her on the road of recovery, and remind us all that we are Your beloved children, with whom You are well pleased. Amen.”

A family may desire to share this prayer after the patient has woken up from surgery or in the waiting room after they hear the news of a procedure’s success.

Having surgery can be a difficult time for both patient and family. With prayer, however, the Christian can invite God to be a part of the surgery and trust that he/she is never alone, no matter what happens.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I do not support prayer/religion being taught in schools that are not religious.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I attended a private school my first year of formal schooling that was tied to the Roman Catholic church. There was an hour each day where we went to church and on top of that another hour was devoted to religious studies. As an energetic seven year old, I used prayer time to daydream and as the year went on I began to become infinitely bored. I switched to public school the next year (private school is expensive for a family of six kids) and continued my religious "education" through PSR (Parish School of Religion). I grew up HATING organized religion because it was forced upon me. The hours that should have been devoted to prayer were instead spent idly wondering trivial matters. So...should prayer be MANDATORY in schools, even in religious private ones?

No, no, no. Whether or not it's just my experience or not....the kids that were in my graduating class in private school (due to the creeping of FB), a significant alarming amount of people have children out of wedlock or have been jailed at some point. :shock: Now I know that it isn't necessarily correlated with a religious upbringing - but weird how that is isn't it, especially when compared to a public school? I also am resistant to the idea of someone forcing something upon me, so out of principle I say nope, notta, no way.

/DG/

but weird how that is isn't it, especially when compared to a public school?
I'd just like to point out that I know several people who go to several different private schools. According to them, they have just as many sluts, druggies, brats, etc. as the public schools. Of course, I don't exactly have an accurate way to compare this sort of thing, but I'm inclined to take their words for it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
They have Christian clubs after school, and teacher-sponsored club events.. but As far as IN school? I don't think it is really necessary. I think school is there to learn academics.. People can pray before, after, at church, etc.

But.. I think religion does a lot of good things for a community of people. When I was in school, sometime during the day we had "home room time" where the teacher wasn't allowed to teach and preach, the students had time to work on assignments and study amongst each other. Most of it was spent goofing off and talking.. but I could see a 'club' setting allowing students to leave during that time to have a small prayer session if they so chose.

They also did moments of silence everyday after 9/11. I think those should have been pretty standard in the mornings.. kids could pray during those times if they so chose. Or just stood there silently and contemplated how nothing happens when you die. :shrug: either way.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think for those who really care about praying in school, they're probably already praying. Prayer doesn't have to be the whole 'getting on your knees, putting your hands together, and bowing your head' deal, it can be just talking to whom ever you believe in in a quiet whisper through out the day or even in your head.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think YWIR is trolling you guys....

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
>.> If her vent comment has anything to say about it. :laugh:

It is a good discussion topic though.

Jaguar

Personally, I am a supporter of this, if you go to a religious school. I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values,

Move over Mark Twain, she's coming through! Rock and roll.