• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moral relativists who love Edahn

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm beginning to think CC, that you actually are a relativist to some extent without realizing it... and that actually your main beef against the concept is actually against a misunderstanding you have about what it's all about, which has possibly come from some people claiming to represent the theory but actually doing it very badly, thereby misportraying it to you.

IOW I think what you're arguing against isn't the basic principle of moral relativism, but what you've been given to think is the basic principle of MR... etc...

Course I could be wrong... but it's just an inkling I have...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Infanticide can in certain instances be morally right, i.e. in less developed nations where birth control is neither used nor known, where families subsist on agriculture and the death of the infant increases the general fitness of the older young.
You said earlier that murder is always wrong. You say here that infanticide is sometimes right. According to that logic, infanticide cannot be murder, so how do you define murder? How does infanticide differ from it?

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
You quoted this :

The way things are for you is not necessarily the way things are for others

If that isnt (moral) relativism I don't know what is :doh:

Come on now, it seems to me that she was obviously saying she was an ENFP and things are not the way things are for her as that type as they are for another type. Don't jump on her to be a MR when she is not.:rolleyes:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Come on now, it seems to me that she was obviously saying she was an ENFP and things are not the way things are for her as that type as they are for another type. Don't jump on her to be a MR when she is not.:rolleyes:

Read the post it comes from... it was by reference to internal moral compasses!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a distinction between empathy and sympathy that should be noted. Empathy would be the foundation of understanding the moral framework of people very different from self. It is admirable to have personal ideals to strengthen, understand, and sympathize with others. It is also important to have respect when people do think and feel differently. Different from self does not mean less than self, even if they never laugh, or even if they were taught to harm, or to believe something false. Empathy is realizing we are no better. It is realizing we are like this other person and could possibly think and feel exactly as they do if subjected to their experiences. It is embracing someone whom it hurts a little to embrace.

empathy: the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.

sympathy:
1. harmony of or agreement in feeling, as between persons or on the part of one person with respect to another.
2. the harmony of feeling naturally existing between persons of like tastes or opinion or of congenial dispositions.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
that's pretty much what I was saying toonia, except you said it better... I was also adding to that, that having one doesn't necessarily always lead to the other, because I think sometimes people wrongly attribute someone's unwillingness to agree with them as being the result of a lack of empathy on their part, when in fact they could empathize perfectly but simply not sympathize.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Read the post it comes from... it was by reference to internal moral compasses!

I read the post it came from and I stand by my opinion. CaptainChick will have to clarify what she meant to clear this up.

Mole

Permabanned
that's pretty much what I was saying toonia, except you said it better... I was also adding to that, that having one doesn't necessarily always lead to the other, because I think sometimes people wrongly attribute someone's unwillingness to agree with them as being the result of a lack of empathy on their part, when in fact they could empathize perfectly but simply not sympathize.

Quite so.

Victor

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Substitute said that CC didn't understand and that's why she wasn't clear. I'm a librarian and prone to giving correct information. Here is the definition:

Originally Posted by Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
The metaethical position usually concerns the truth or justification of moral judgments, and it has been given somewhat different definitions. Metaethical relativists generally suppose that many fundamental moral disagreements cannot be rationally resolved, and on this basis they argue that moral judgments lack the moral authority or normative force that moral objectivists usually contend these judgments may have. Hence, metaethical relativism is in part a negative thesis that challenges the claims of moral objectivists. However, it often involves a positive thesis as well, namely that moral judgments nonetheless have moral authority or normative force, not absolutely or universally (as objectivists contend), but relative to some group of persons such as a society or culture. This point is typically made with respect to truth or justification (or both), and the following definition will be a useful reference point:

Metaethical Moral Relativism (MMR). The truth or falsity of moral judgments, or their justification, is not absolute or universal, but is relative to the traditions, convictions, or practices of a group of persons.
With respect to truth-value, this means that a moral judgment such as ‘Polygamy is morally wrong’ may be true relative to one society, but false relative to another. It is not true, or false, simply speaking. Likewise, with respect to justification, this judgment may be justified in one society, but not another. Taken in one way, this last point is uncontroversial: The people in one society may have different evidence available to them than the people in the other society. But proponents of MMR usually have something stronger and more provocative in mind: That the standards of justification in the two societies may differ from one another and that there is no rational basis for resolving these differences. This is why the justification of moral judgments is relative rather than absolute.

It is important to note several distinctions that may be made in formulating different metaethical relativist positions. First, it is sometimes said that the truth or justification of moral judgments may be relative to an individual person as well as a group of persons. In this article, the latter will be assumed, as in the definition of MMR, unless otherwise noted. Second, that to which truth or justification is relative may be the persons making the moral judgments or the persons about whom the judgments are made. These are sometimes called appraiser and agent relativism respectively. Appraiser relativism suggests that we do or should make moral judgments on the basis of our own standards, while agent relativism implies that the relevant standards are those of the persons we are judging (of course, in some cases these may coincide). Appraiser relativism is the more common position, and it will usually be assumed in the discussion that follows. Finally, MMR may be offered as the best explanation of what people already believe, or it may be put forward as a position people ought to accept regardless of what they now believe.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Relativism is benign in a democratic, multi-cultural society.

But when this society is under attack by a totalitarian, political religion, relativism then becomes malign.
Quite the opposite in my opinion: in such a situation, only relativism can lead to a working solution. Anything else inevitably leads to war.

When confronted with something or someone that will not and/or cannot budge, we have no other choice but to examine the *reasons* behind this stubborn behaviour. Only by understanding WHY the other won't move can we hope to remove the cause of their immobility, and thus reach an agreement acceptable to all.

Or if you prefer: when confronted to a wall, crashing into it at full speed is not a smart thing to do. Learning how to use a hammer and chip at it a little bit at a time is a far better option where our own physical integrity is concerned.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I didn't say that I definitely thought CC doesn't understand, just that I had an inkling that she might not... that's not the same thing as a statement of opinion ;)

J's! :rolleyes: ;)

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The definition, if you read it, tells you what I told you in my previous post. Most of you are not "Moral relativists" at all. You are "appraiser relativists."

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Dude, that's a really curious sorta post from a European point of view... I can imagine many a European reading that and seeing you like...:SaiyanSmilie_anim:

But that'd be digressing too far from topic, to go into that now.

(Victor I mean, not Geoff)

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm confused :huh: According to the definition you gave, aren't "appraiser relativists" one subset of "moral relativists"?

That seems to be the implication from this definition. The way I was taught (and from my former post) they are two different theories. Thanks for pointing this out. Sorry for the confusion. :blush:

Last edited: