• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moral relativists who love Edahn

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Cultural relativism- the ability to view the beliefs and customs of other peoples within the context of their culture rather than one's own.

Human beings innately have rights.

i.e. children have certain rights, women have certain rights, elderly people have certain rights, regardless of their circumstantially allotted "cultural" background.

It is morally wrong to intentionally hurt another person and infringe on their individual rights.

None of these ideas existed before the Enlightenment.

The nazi's were wrong.

The Nazis believed they were fighting for their survival. At that time it was believed the "Jewish race" controlled everything and the best and brightest were leaving to live in America. To protect the genetic purity of the German people, they felt they had to go to war and eradicate threats to the bloodline.

slavery is wrong.

Slavery was practiced for centuries within countless lands. Not until the Enlightenment did people develop ideas that it might be wrong.

rape is wrong.

Rape was an expected part of marriage in many ancient countries.

murder is wrong.

If I go to war and kill the enemy then I am a hero. If I am at home and I kill one of my enemies then I am a murderer.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Everything is right and everything is wrong, depending on the point of view.

And why is the death penalty wrong? Whatever happened to "an eye for an eye?"
Uber, if you kill my mother, it is then *right* for me to kill yours?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Cultural relativism- the ability to view the beliefs and customs of other peoples within the context of their culture rather than one's own.

None of these ideas existed before the Enlightenment.

The Nazis believed they were fighting for their survival. At that time it was believed the "Jewish race" controlled everything and the best and brightest were leaving to live in America. To protect the genetic purity of the German people, they felt they had to go to war and eradicate threats to the bloodline.

Slavery was practiced for centuries within countless lands. Not until the Enlightenment did people develop ideas that it might be wrong.

Rape was an expected part of marriage in many ancient countries.

If I go to war and kill the enemy then I am a hero. If I am at home and I kill one of my enemies then I am a murderer.
Uh, human beings have a nasty historical record, your point?

Something isn't moral because it is practical, or fashionable, or widely accepted.

no

no

no.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Truth itself makes it true.
But none of us has official access to truth. So how is anyone supposed to know who holds the "truest" opinion? Everyone believes their own opinion is the one best approximating, or even equalling, truth.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Moral relativists are cowards. Culture is always secondary to human life. Regardless of where it happens, genocide is wrong. I have no respect for anyone who denies this.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Uh, human beings have a nasty historical record, your point?

Something isn't moral because it is practical, or fashionable, or widely accepted.

no

no

no.

My point was within the context of a culture or situation, the crimes that have been committed change considerably.

If I kill to protect myself, then that is self defense. From the Nazi perspective, they were killing to protect themselves.

And at the same time, if an idea does not exist beforehand, how could it be said the actions were wrong beforehand.

Slavery and rape existed in cultures long before the conception of "innate individual rights".

Morality is also subjective to the situation.

If a man was unfairly put in a situation for which he could not feed his family, would it be wrong for him to steal to feed his family?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's possible to both acknowledge that an act violates your concept of morality, and recognize that it is accepted within another culture. Recognition is not approval.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, and fetuses are not human beings.

Infanticide can in certain instances be morally right, i.e. in less developed nations where birth control is neither used nor known, where families subsist on agriculture and the death of the infant increases the general fitness of the older young.

Suicide isn't inherently immoral.

:ninja:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
If a man was unfairly put in a situation for which he could not feed his family, would it be wrong for him to steal to feed his family?
Sure it would be wrong, but it would also be *worth* it.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's possible to both acknowledge that an act violates your concept of morality, and recognize that it is accepted within another culture. Recognition is not approval.
Word!!!

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Moral relativists are cowards. Culture is always secondary to human life. Regardless of where it happens, genocide is wrong. I have no respect for anyone who denies this.
You are expressing your own values. Can you tell us why anyone else should share them, though?

I happen to think that genocide is wrong too. But I can perfectly understand why some people would think otherwise, without losing any respect for them.

If I condemned people for believing differently than I do, then I would be no better than those who would kill me for believing differently than they do.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Exactly.

Edit: well done Ivy ;) !

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Yeah, this is something I've actually devoted a great deal of energy to intellectually justifying.

I understand that different cultures have had different power structures and concepts of right vs. wrong, blah blah blah

But I do think there are some absolutes hidden in there. The Nazis (lol Godwin'd) may have justified genocide, but there are many accounts of Nazi guards and so on that were so traumatized by what they'd done that they developed mental illnesses. They seemed to intuitively know what they were doing was wrong.

A psychologist came and spoke at my university, he wrote this book on the topic:

"Becoming Evil: How Ordinary People Commit Genocide and Mass Killing" James Waller

And he talks in great length about the psychological damage done to the people who commit those atrocities, regardless of how justified they feel it is.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Grrrr... I understand ignorami too, but that doesn't make their actions any less horrendous.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
CaptainChick has been writing her sociology book, in her head, "Would you be a Nazi?" for four years now. lol.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But I do think there are some absolutes hidden in there. The Nazis (lol Godwin'd) may have justified genocide, but there are many accounts of Nazi guards and so on that were so traumatized by what they'd done that they developed mental illnesses. They seemed to intuitively know what they were doing was wrong.

The moral code of learned religious doctrine could have had something to do with that, too.