• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Buddhist Sexual Abuse

Mole

Permabanned
The Canberra Times has documents that show that the highest reaches of Tibetan Buddhism sought to cover up sexual abuse by a Buddhist monk in Canberra just recently.

So the urge to cover up sexual abuse is common to Catholicism, Islam and Buddhism.

It seems to me that the claims of these religions are undermined, not only by sexual abuse, but by the cover-up at the highest levels.

Each religion puts their adherents into a trance where they are expected to accept anything, even sexual abuse.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is just the sort of thing that happens when there is a power structure involved and an organization that feels it needs to be perceived positively, involving religion or otherwise. I could definitely see this sort of thing happening within a political party.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
It always makes me sad to see people throw integrity out the window in order to preserve the status quo.

Mole

Permabanned
Disassociation

I dare believe it is common everywhere.

Yes, it is as though there is such a disconnect between ideal of the institution and reality, that reality must be denied.

But social change and the free press are putting an end to the disconnect.

I remember it was the newspaper, the Illawarra Mercury in Wollongong, New South Wales, that first blew the lid on sexual abuse. And now even our own Canberra Times won't remain silent.

But still, I think the disconnect between the ideal and reality found in our institutions is found in each of the members. And in the individual this disconnect is called, disassociation, where one part of the psyche doesn't speak to another part of the psyche.

And this is equally true here with MBTI where the ideal and the reality are kept separate. And many of us are disassociated here as we are in our daily lives.

Mole

Permabanned
It always makes me sad to see people throw integrity out the window in order to preserve the status quo.

Yes, disassociation makes personal integrity impossible. However it's worse, for disassociation is unconscious. So the sufferer is unaware of any lack of integrity, rather they split off what is unacceptable, and present as good, whole and wholesome psyches and deeply resent any imputation that they may lack integrity.

Mole

Permabanned
Blaming the victim.

This is just the sort of thing that happens when there is a power structure involved and an organization that feels it needs to be perceived positively, involving religion or otherwise. I could definitely see this sort of thing happening within a political party.

Yes, any ideology serves interests, is predigested thought and has a demonology.

And to avoid being demonised ourselves, we deny that aspect of our psyche and project it outwards onto the victims.

So in order to avoid becoming victims ourselves, we split our psyche in two.

We do this all unconsciously and so we are anesthetised and feel no pain. We unconsciously ensure that all the pain is felt by the victim. And when they complain, we blame the victim.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
wonder if this happens in satanism? they tend to embrace that part of themselves the these religions steer clear of

no i dont sport any religion

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Institutions are corrupt by default. It's so hard to find even one person with integrity... and when you have an institution, the most corrupt people are the ones able to climb the highest.

Lark

Institutions are corrupt by default. It's so hard to find even one person with integrity... and when you have an institution, the most corrupt people are the ones able to climb the highest.

If this is true, inevitable in all instances, then how do you transmit the learning and experience of one generation to the next? How other than by the organic social growths which are properly so called institutions?

I'm not trying to take you to task or make a personal attack but this smacks of being an oft repeated "truism" which isnt the result of serious thinking.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not trying to take you to task or make a personal attack but this smacks of being an oft repeated "truism" which isnt the result of serious thinking.

No, it's not really truism for me. Have you noticed that the more firm logical grounding a person has for his belief, the less likely he is to attack people? When a person has no foundation under his belief, he will have to defend the surface layer of his belief very hard, because if that first line of defense is broken, there is nothing solid under it. Person with integrity is someone who has really gone through his belief and sees the logical whole. He has good foundation so he doesn't need to be so aggressive defending it. He knows thoroughly that no one can break his belief, even if they find a few holes on the surface.

Now, institutions seem to focus on keeping the first line of defense strong, but they don't encourage discussion about the foundations of the belief. Actually quite the opposite. And on top of that, there is the question of power. A person with integrity doesn't seem to be the kind of person who would need power in order to make his belief gain following, since he is so sure he is right, and truth speaks for itself. So, it is unlikely that he will be interested in power. But, the ones who focus on the first line of defense are very interested in power. Maybe I shouldn't have said that all institutions are faulty, but there certainly is a much higher pressure towards that direction. And the more hierarchy the more corrupt it is.

And to answer the question of how it is possible for a culture to function at all if the institutions are corrupt: There is a balancing force, public approval. People have this collective knowledge and they resist corruption to some degree. Like now, there are people leaving the church because of these recent news. So, the institutions will have to maintain a level of integrity people will approve.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I found the more accepting one is of their inherent nature the more at peace they are with themselves. religions dont seem to be prosexuality and that is their inherent problem. abstaining from who they are or their taste for the "flesh" or fruit of anothers looms.
repressing is never good and sexual abuse is the outcome.

at the moment im reading over some of satanism and their stance and they seem to be extremely open in the pursuit of pleasure and sex is one of those things. my question though is, is the issue with child molestation and sexual abuse as rampant with them then it is with the christians, buddist and muslims?

again, not into satanism, just curious

Lark

See the thing about religion is that I dont actually believe it represses sexuality, I dont believe any of them do, they just put it in its place and accord it an appropriate amount of attention.

Which to the absurdly dysfunctionally obsessed society in which we live appears like repression.

On the question of sexuality, procreation and marriage among the religious in the Christian and specifically Roman Catholic tradition, it has been overwritten and misunderstood and that misunderstanding has been further distorted across generations but originally a lot of the vows of celibacy and sexual abstainence (spelling) had close relationships to fidelity to religious orders, some of them military, all of them placing demands upon individuals which would have rendered them neglectful husbands and fathers, in the case of the military orders the Church did not want to be repeatedly petitioned by war widows and orphans or be complicit in the sorts of crisis occuring when men abandon home, hearth and kin to go adventuring in war torn climes. Similarly if your monastic order is raising a monastry, then engaging in scholarship or the work of scribes from morning to night, embarking on a long journey with no predetermined destination you'll be as good as a dead beat to any dependents.

A lot of real logistical and practical reasons there that have nothing to do with repressive hating on sex lives, pleasures of the flesh or anything of that kind.

Similarly there is the idea of a calling, now this isnt mystical or esoteric particularly, at least I dont think so, it doesnt need to be a celestial or cosmic shout out accompanied by dazzling light parting the clouds. Its simply that once you find your passion it becomes your preoccupation and your priorities change. No one would seriously imagine pouring disdain upon a grand prix race driver for hating on chess or ocean swims because their focus is driving fast cars the other occupations dont enter into their heads. This is what it seems like when I hear the rants about religious and sexuality for the Nth time.

Finally, there are religions which combine sexuality and spirituality, tantric sex for instance, the karma sutra is another example, even islam and christianity have their own pillow books, context and appropriate relationships is everything however and often the idea what monogamy, fidelity, commitment are preconditions or of important consideration to happy sexual relationships arent exclusive to religious sources. Arent exclusive to conservative sources either. Those sexual liberationists who throw those ideas out are witless and stuck in a moment of adolescent desperation and anxiety if you ask me.