• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

En vino veritas...

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"In wine the truth".

Do you think that people show their true colors when they're drunk? Not dinner-party buzzed - OBLITERATED. To the point where your friends have to gently break it to you what you did last night...

Does alcohol cut through socially programmed facades, behaviors and preferences, leaving only the raw essence of self to interact with the world?

For instance, a violent drunk = a generally angry person who just deeply suppresses it in daily sober life, or channels it in more innocuous ways. A talkative drunk = a true extrovert, who might seem introverted due to anxiety and/or intense self-regulation ("pfft! Only morons go around yammering about!")

Taking it a step further, do you think that the actions done only when drunk are actions that the same person sober has the URGE to do, but doesn't let himself?

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
It is.

Their subconscious self and repressed thoughts show up when they are drunk -not wasted. Alcohol weakens mental defenses and self-control mechanisms.

If I want to know someone's true self (and have no time or patience to use my usual tactics), I get him his favourite drink in a friendly context.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No; well, basically - I believe your completely natural personaly can show when you're intoxicated, but not truly drunk. If you're wasted, it seems like one's own personality can be modified towards both extremes (either very aggressive or very passive).

F

figsfiggyfigs

It is.

Their subconscious self and repressed thoughts show up when they are drunk -not wasted. Alcohol weakens mental defenses and self-control mechanisms.

If I want to know someone's true self (and have no time or patience to use my usual tactics), I get him his favourite drink in a friendly context.

This.

Like FDG also said, it becomes (depending on how intoxicated) the opposite side of the spectrum. One of the extremes.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha, you mixed french and latin.

grammar-nazi.jpg

My job here is done.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
This thread brings to mind one of my very favorite quotes:

"I can't trust a man who doesn't drink, because a man who doesn't drink doesn't trust himself."

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I think there are no true colors, just many facets.

This.

If someone refrains from anti-social activity while sober then that is a major facet of their 'true self'; its not all about our impulses and tastes (which alcohol can alter, anyway), but also our reason and our ethics. If the latter facets are compromised by mind-altering substances, then the totality of the 'self' (insofar as it actually exists) is hidden away. Of course, a truly ethical person would avoid activities that they know causes them to be susceptible to anti-social behavoir, and so people who have bad reactions to intoxication shouldn't get drunk.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, alcohol does not make someone show their true selves (whatever a true self is, anyhow). It can break down a person's ability to maintain the typical persona, but that doesn't mean a persona is gone. When people are drunk, their behavior initially tends to be a manifestation of how they expected that they would behave while being drunk (hence broad cultural difference in how people act while drinking). If a person drinks beyond that point, they don't so much remove all their acting and speak the truth as they begin to malfunction to the point that it's like someone talking in their sleep.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
If a person is angry or violent when drunk, it doesn mean that they are angry or violent by nature. It just means that they have subconscious emotions that need to be released.

F

FigerPuppet

Wine is the blood of our Lord and Saviour Iesus Christus, and thus it brings the best out in each of us - it is blasphemy to suggest otherwise.

Calix meus inebrians.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, most drunken behaviour is caused by a placebo effect. People behaving how drunks are "supposed" to behave.

Aside from that, if the "true" self is revealed through alcohol, then every human being is far less coherent, less intelligent and less considerate than their "false" selves. It's a depressant, it lowers certain brain functions, changing one's personality. Other drugs have different effects. All these psychological claims about it revealing the truth need some impersonal evidence to be taken seriously.

"I can't trust a man who doesn't drink, because a man who doesn't drink doesn't trust himself."

"I can trust a man who doesn't drink, because a man who doesn't drink values a clear and coherent mind."

Quotes suck.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Even those idiots who pretend to be drunk, partaking in behavior they normally wouldn't or initiating relationships with people they normally wouldn't are saying something about themselves. Whether or not it's just the placebo effect or truly being shwasty-face -- a person is definately showing their true colors. People loose all of their inhibitions after a certain point - inhibitions I believe are there after years of social conditioning and molding themselves to a particular personality.

Hmm. Though I will ask...
Drunken words speak sober thoughts?

I'm unsure as to what to think about this however. Sometimes people say things in order to get the desired outcome, even while inebriated. Or do you truly believe there are instances where a person just "slips"?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think there are no true colors, just many facets.

This and btw your latin sucks, it is called "in vino veritas" :D

I for example think that I am a very controlled guy and that's how it goes when I am drinking. I hadnt had a psychological distance to the intercolutor when I was sober before but when I am drunk I loose my last bit of shame and become very talkative. Agressive I gladly dont become from drinking, for that I dont need alcohol :)

rav3n

It is.

I agree with this but need to add the caveat that alcohol amplifies true self.

But I do have to apply this to Enneagram theory. If it's true self as defined by Ichazo, whereby the impacts of nurture have been removed, self-actualisation back to true self isn't a good idea! :laugh:

T

ThatGirl

I can become all things at one point or another while intoxicated.....holy shit......I AM all things!

Jk, I think alcohol depends on three things, your mood, your circumstances, and your uninhibited self. Most of the time when you are seeing someone drunk it is the combination of those three elements that play into their observable personality.