• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is art?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What is art?

I don't think art can be defined by looking at a product. One guys puts up a urinal, calls it artwork, and undergrads debate about it for years. What's the point? Lame. If you've ever constructed art, you may have noticed that art follows from a state of mind (the "artistic mind"). That mind produces observable, sometimes tangible things that we collectively call art (even though artistic-byproducts might be a better label). Give an artist a paintbrush and he'll paint you a picture; a voice and he'll sing; legs and he'll dance.

Describing this state of mind is difficult and probably impossible to someone who hasn't experienced it before. When I occasionally feel it, it feel like calmness. There is a sense of gracefulness, almost as if everything around you is effortlessly and beautifully unfolding and just waiting to mingle with you. There's a sense of nostalgia or familiarity, of flowing, of reflection, and of self-acceptance. In the end, I think it's a letting go of one's own success and failures by accepting, by forgetting, by whatever.

Thoughts appreciated.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i see art as ideas in their most fluid format of transmission. something like a dissertation presents an idea in a very rigid format, the purpose is for the idea to be interpreted in only one way. art, on the other hand, can mean a lot of different things.

i experience something similar when i am mentally stimulated by what i consider to be art... except it is largely due to my release of the necessity to find a concrete representation of whatever im experiencing and allowing the ideas that procure exist in their most raw state

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting point about experiencing art via others' products. It's very rare that I can be thrown into the artistic mindset by looking at art. The closest I can get with visual art is gardens, abstract art, and occasionally fountains, but that's rare. Music can definitely put me in the mood. So can helping other people, although I would hesitate to label that in the same category as traditional art.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Art, to and for me, is any product that was manipulated by life.

So it is not a piece of shit, but it is a bower bird's bower, or a honeybee's hive.

Hell, I am inclined to even think that there is art in a piece of shit.

As cliche as this expression might be, "art is life", kinda resonates with me.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Art, to and for me, is any product manipulated by life.

What is life, and what isn't manipulated (influenced?) by other "life" ? Is everything art, like you were intimating? If you think of the universe as a giant organism, is it simply manipulating itself over and over?

On the other hand, you may run into a problem. If I poke a glass of milk with a stick, have I created art?

As cliche as this expression might be, "art is life", kinda resonates with me.

Very pretty expression. What do you make of "the art of living?" Deep.

Last edited:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
On a strictly aesthetic level, I view life as being utterly beautiful.

The beauty inherent in nature blows me away!!!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Why is life, and what isn't manipulated (influenced?) by other "life" ? Is everything art, like you were intimating? If you think of the universe as a giant organism, is it simply manipulating itself over and over?
Why is life? I don't know. What isn't manipulated by life? I dunno, macrocosmic and microcosmic things, i.e. galaxies, and atoms. If you think of the universe as a giant organism, is it simply manipulating itself over and over? To me, absolutely, hell yes, I view the universe as being fractal and holographic in design/structure.

On the other hand, you may run into a problem. If I poke a glass of milk with a stick, have I created art?
The ripples/waves you created or affected onto the milk settled in the glass can be considered art, perhaps not the most inspiring, but still. (I truly am a hippie when it comes to this subject :) )

Very pretty expression. What do you make of "the art of living?" Deep.
"The art of living", I'm not too familiar with that expression, but it brings to mind Lao Tzu. The Tao Te Ching is the only "spiritual-esque" book that I've read over and over again and have respected nearly ever written word of it. It is so simple yet mind-blowingly profound.

The art of living is in letting things "flow", I think.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The ripples/waves you created or affected onto the milk settled in the glass can be considered art, perhaps not the most inspiring, but still. (I truly am a hippie when it comes to this subject :) )

I wouldn't disagree with anything you've said, because I think it would just amount to a semantical debate. I think we're talking about slightly different aspects of the same process, though. How would you describe the artistic state of mind?

"The art of living", I'm not too familiar with that expression, but it brings to mind Lao Tzu. The Tao Te Ching is the only "spiritual-esque" book that I've read over and over again and have respected nearly ever written word of it. It is so simple yet mind-blowingly profound.

The art of living is in letting things "flow", I think.

Art of Living Love the Tao, btw. Crazy-dense.

What I'm trying to do with this thread is show how the artistic state of mind is the same as the meditative state of mind, which is the same as the feeling of love.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
LOL, you're going to think I'm horrible, but I don't like the Dalai Llama (sp?), it's something about his mass appeal, and his face, and his glasses, I just sort of think he's a phony, I haven't even given him a chance, what does he do with the money he makes off his books???

*Please don't throw rocks at me, I'm just being honest.

Lao Tzu was a humble man, historians barely know anything about him, I dunno, that's very consistent with his "teachings", and I respect that.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think he's a gentle man who tries hard to REALLY get involved and help people out. He's done some amazing things in his life and has really given himself up. A clerk I know met him once. He reached out to shake Mr. Lama's hand, which is bad form, since Lamas bow. The Dalai Lama tickled him in the stomach instead of embarrassing him. :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You're an artist, no? Oh, and what kind?

So am I. (I feel kinda cheap admitting that for some reason)

I wouldn't be able to explain "the artistic state of mind", does such a thing even exist?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think he's a gentle man who tries hard to REALLY get involved and help people out. He's done some amazing things in his life and has really given himself up. A clerk I know met him once. He reached out to shake Mr. Lama's hand, which is bad form, since Lamas bow. The Dalai Lama tickled him in the stomach instead of embarrassing him. :)
That's a cute story, honestly, but...

What does he do with all the money he gets from his books, where does he live? Is he married, does he have sex/kids?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
What is art?

Art is what you make of it. I suppose there's two parts... one is the frame of mind the creator of the piece is in... the outcome as you said is art. The other is from the observer of the piece of "art". As long as the observer perceived that it's art... then that's what it is... art.

Art doesn't need to be created specifically for that purpose to be called art. An accidental arrangement of something that, to the observer, represents something and is meaningful... is art. All in the eyes of the beholder.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You're an artist, no? Oh, and what kind?

Eh. By my definition, I do get into the artsy frame of mind now and then. It happens sometimes when I write music.

I wouldn't be able to explain "the artistic state of mind", does such a thing even exist?

That's what I'm trying to get at. I think it does, and I think it's the best way to communicate what art is. Describing it is harder. How does one describe a Zen mind without getting stuck in words and boundaries?

That's a cute story, honestly, but...

What does he do with all the money he gets from his books, where does he live? Is he married, does he have sex/kids?

I imagine he uses the money to procure prostitutes.

Really, I'll bet he lives very modestly and gives the money he gets from sales to maintaining temples. He's not married. Monks don't marry.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
from the perspective of the artist:

art is the distillation of life.

Be it a mass, an emotion, or a singular moment. The purest expression possible of that particular subject/object.

from the perspective of the audience:

art is what resonates, and leads to a certain light in the viewer. that you see it, and it stirs something in you. A new view, a new way of seeing something old, or a new vision.

edahn is an artist?

edit: for me, the artistic state of mind is one of extreme sensitivity and receptivity; that is inspiration. Then is sensitivity and actualisation: where the art itself guides the hand of the artist. That is creation; the closest articulation of the vision within.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Its just another thing that everyone has become so everyone will have their opinion/definition as it applies to themselves. As it pertains to my own field, I view it philosophically since it has often been addressed by philosophers.. and like this one particularly well.

"Arthur Danto, professor of philosophy at Columbia University ..., believes that today "you can't say something's art or not art anymore. That's all finished." In his book, After the End of Art, Danto argues that after Andy Warhol exhibited simulacra of shipping cartons for Brillo boxes in 1964, anything could be art. Warhol made it no longer possible to distinguish something that is art from something that is not."

So, I'm left with... if it sells, it must be. For me, its a business. That is the only thing setting me apart from the "everyone" in artistry.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think it has something to do with Si being my fourth function, but when I make art... I feel complete. I feel like I a need of mine is being met that is so subconscious that I barely tend to it. I feel relaxed.. centered.. focused on an abstract idea.. and my feelings take the wheel and direct the art out of my hands. Art is an activity, to me, not an object.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is my definition of art:

Art is the attempt of one party to stimulate thoughts or feelings in another party by means other than direct, interpersonal, one-on-one communication.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
This is my definition of art:

Art is the attempt of one party to stimulate thoughts or feelings in another party by means other than direct, interpersonal, one-on-one communication.

That would work except I'm not thinking of communicating to a potential viewer when I conceive what I paint. I'm "receiving" from a "place" and "recording" it on canvas. When I see what "arrived," it does communicate something to me though. This is, of course, unless I'm doing a connsignment piece with particular requirements.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
A few days a week I have the privlidge of inter-acting with college students engaged in their 3D art/design requirements. I've been able to observe how a variety of aspiring "artists" respond to assigments as well as their own personal work. In this situation art is not a (usually) spontaneous event but a result of required effort, study and focus. The results, as you can imagine vary.

Our perception of Art is of course, completely subjective. There is, as observed by CC, ample beauty and interest provided by the natural environment. I would not define naturally occuring phoenomena as "art" though it has undoubtably inspired a great deal of our art. All we do occurs within the natural environment and will return to it in time. So is Art the effect of the natural forces acting on our receptive bodily instruments?

Perhaps art could be defined as a deliberate composition of matter, space or time in order to satisfy an impulse (indefinable need?) or material need? It need not be intended as communicative, though it is certainly capable of doing that by our observation of it...and our observation of it can change it, it is malleable.

Objects, sounds or activities that humans have created for survival frequently end up ornamented. Now let us take a knife; where the form follows the function. This is craftsmanship? The careful use of materials to produce a functional object...When does it turn into artisanship? when the maximally effective tool become an extension of the owner by personal ornament? and when practical function becomes irrelavent as in ceramonial use are they then a more "pure" art form? Is all art essentially ornament, in that it is not absolutely needed for survival, but the needs of survival sometimes create aesthetically interesting results?

This puts me in mind of the Bower Bird, that carefully constructs and decorates a nest to attract a mate. This bird brain is somehow driven to this creative endeavor that will be judged by a variety of females. Now this activity is certainly driven by survival...and the winning male is chosen by his ability to attract a mate through random or deliberate arrangement of elements within space. Is this art?

Good thread..this can go on and on I imagine. Kind of like me. ;)