• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would You Forfeit Your Ability to Analyze a Situation in Exchange for Group-Think?

Would you forfeit your ability to analyze a situation in exchange for group-think?

• Total voters

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Be honest with yourself: how many people will admit that they prefer that someone thinks for them ? (in the case that someone actually thinks fo them)

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
If it was possible - I would go for others thinking for me. If I could be okay with that, that's what I would've gone for.

But I only wrote it because anti-social told me to.

Jaguar

Since it's April fool's day we're going to be subjected to foolish questions. Lol.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
It depends on the extent of my inability to think for myself. If I was still allowed to retain some sense of individuality, and the 'group-think' aspect was only active when I was attempting to solve a problem or do something which required critical thought, then I might consider it.

Could I try it out first? I'd love to experience something like that for a short while.

Edit: I would venture to guess that the human brain is more or less a kind of group think anyways. The question is whether or not combining the minds of people would be done in such a way as to create a new meta consciousness with multiple vessels of sensory input, or whether people could use it as a sort of mobile access think computer, or something else entirely.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We are borg... NOT!

I believe Lowtech Redneck might have meant collective thinking... or in other words, unified thought. That would be the antithesis of a hive-mind; to have complete contribution or to have one single process. I would choose what Lowtech is optioning or ummmmm... what I think he meant.

rav3n

God no! Can't imagine being stupid enough to want to lynch purported witches in Salem. Group-think can be so destructive and is the antithesis of self-actualisation.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
We are borg... NOT!

I believe Lowtech Redneck might have meant collective thinking... or in other words, unified thought. That would be the antithesis of a hive-mind; to have complete contribution or to have one single process. I would choose what Lowtech is optioning or ummmmm... what I think he meant.

Honestly, I was just plain fucking around.

Lark

This is a bit of a strange thread because I cant see anyone prefering anything but their own indpendent free thinking, groupthink is just prejorative and when people do engage in it they're either broken or doing so unconsciously.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Thinking about that question, and visualizing it occurring, freaks me out.

Hell.No.

Now, if what I thought happened to reflect what an entire group thought, thats different.

Who thinks for the group? There has to be someone that brings about the ideas that everyone blindly follows.... How did they reach their conclusion?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Who's really going to vote "Yes" even if they would in reality fall victim to "group think" in certain situations?? No one. That's the thing, seldom is "group think" voluntary or done through one's own consciousness.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
HEEEEEEEEEEEL NAH! :2ar15:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why is this poll in the philosophy section? It should be in the fluff zone. It is quite possibly the most pointless thread I've ever seen.

No one is going to answer "yes." In fact, I think the people who even bothered to vote "no" either like to clicky clicky polls, or are paranoid about zombies.

Oh wait - now somebody will vote "yes" because I said they wouldn't.

T

ThatGirl

Lol at this thread.

To the OP my ex husband used to do that all the time and he seemed like a pretty happy guy. Worked out well for him too, usually.