• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atheists:

Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

• Yes

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 57.1%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters

gromit

likes this
Do you think it would be better if everyone were an atheist?

(please explain)

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I doubt it. A large number of perspectives is essential to the enlightened. Rob us of what we have, right now? I would not condone it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends on how that happens and how society is affected. It would never magically disappear without cause, and if it were never in existence it's hard to predict what society would have turned out like.

I think it'd be great if it dies out eventually, though. Or at the very least, gets rids of fundamentalism. Increased education may help with that. I don't think it's likely at all though....nor would I support "outlawing" of religion outright.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
It depends on how that happens and how society is affected. It would never magically disappear without cause, and if it were never in existence it's hard to predict what society would have turned out like.

I think it'd be great if it dies out eventually, though. Or at the very least, gets rids of fundamentalism. Increased education may help with that. I don't think it's likely at all though....nor would I support "outlawing" of religion outright.

The problem with fundamentalism is that it is not unique to either a theistic or non-theistic viewpoint. Militant, hardcore atheists are just as insufferable as any religious nutter.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Arguably yes, although they kill considerably fewer people overall, but we can ignore them for this question since they wouldn't exist without non-atheists in the world (what would they complain about?).

I do mean religion more than theism, though. Theism by itself is fairly harmless.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an atheist I'd have to say: No.

Shitheadedness is not determined by one's belief in the existence of "god" (who/whom/whatever it maybe) I'm afraid.

Beorn

Permabanned
Christopher Hitchens tells a story about how he answered this question and how Richard Dawkins reacted.

[YOUTUBE="Eyk1QkaFVMs"]Last Theist[/YOUTUBE]

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Christopher Hitchens tells a story about how he answered this question and how Richard Dawkins reacted.

[YOUTUBE="Eyk1QkaFVMs"]Last Theist[/YOUTUBE]

Richard Dawkins is one of the strongest believers I have ever known of. His faith is legendary, and those who admire faith could admire Dawkins, even as he belittles them.

rav3n

Okay, who hacked gromit's account? :laugh:

Atheist here and have no preference, as long as religion remains in the home and not in my face.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Atheism often seems to be demonstrated like just another flavor of religion. Kill em all and have the big spaghetti monster sort them out.

Actually it really seems to be about the individual people or group of people who spout their particular version of their spiritual philosophy.

Spiritual homogony is about as bland as racial homogony.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sounds boring...and like it wouldn't make a difference with fighting. A lot of wars are not caused by religion, they just use it as an excuse, or other people seem to assume so.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Sounds boring...and like it wouldn't make a difference with fighting. A lot of wars are not caused by religion, they just use it as an excuse, or other people seem to assume so.

I've always thought that people caused wars.

Lark

I wonder what happens to the spiritual impulse in a world which is even more athiest than the status quo

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm atheist, but I don't think the world would be a better place if everyone was atheist. Richard Dawkins would spit on me for that, I'm sure, but I just don't believe it. It would be same shit, different demographics.

Even among the group of atheists I know there are power struggles and those wanting to force their will on other atheists (while at the same time talking about what oppressive shitheads religious people are). I think it's funny.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wonder what happens to the spiritual impulse in a world which is even more athiest than the status quo

Whilst I don't know what that means, last I checked there's over a billion religious atheists, and even more non-religious but spiritual ones (whatever that means).

I think the spiritual stuff would keep going strong. The atheistic religions would spread a lot faster with reduced competition and people's desire for "spirituality" would still be around.

gromit

likes this
Okay, who hacked gromit's account? :laugh:

Haha... what do you mean who hacked my account?

I'm asking because I've known a couple atheists and they did/do seem to think the world would be a better place without people believing in religion, that it is something that makes people do bad things to each other, and that believing in God is not a rational position (and therefore not valid). Don't know if I really agree with it though. Or at least not all the way.

Most people I know believe in God in some way, although I prefer the live and let live type than the in-your-face type. Don't we all? :)

Lark

Whilst I don't know what that means, last I checked there's over a billion religious atheists, and even more non-religious but spiritual ones (whatever that means).

I think the spiritual stuff would keep going strong. The atheistic religions would spread a lot faster with reduced competition and people's desire for "spirituality" would still be around.

You checked? How did you check?

I believe people have a longing for God, you can disbelief, you can deny and bury it deep but its still there. Unfortunately peoples alienation from religion and tradition, even their history, is so great that they've turned against not only it but God too.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You checked? How did you check?

Religious population statistics. It's why I said the vague "over one billion", not getting too specific. The higher estimates are over two billion, the lower just over one.

It's a very western thing to associate religion with theism. Fair enough though, most religious people are theistic, but most religions are atheistic (a lot of so called polytheistic religions are actually atheistic when it comes down to it). That's taking atheism to mean without a belief in god.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
As an atheist I'd have to say: No.

Shitheadedness is not determined by one's belief in the existence of "god" (who/whom/whatever it maybe) I'm afraid.

^ This. While one could argue that some religious extremists do some shitty things in the name of their religion.... So do many extremists about every political, ethical, moral stance. Thats never going to go away.

The fact is, it's a very positive force in many people's lives. It brings them comfort and joy, and even if I don't agree with their views, I'm happy they have that. Perhaps even envious.