• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atheists:

Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

• Yes

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 57.1%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters
R

ReflecTcelfeR

How would such a god be defined?

I'm thinking it's an interpretation on being made out of God. Many worship the earth and we're made out of the earth. So in this instance God would be the earth, inanimate, but allowing us to be created nonetheless.

It goes far more basic than that, as in chemistry in general, but in our limited perception we're controlled by our planet.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
How would such a god be defined?

aerzte-die-gesichter-bela-farin-rod-3701388.jpg

Nicodemus

The Christian God (Jesus) is the only God that makes provisions for the redemption of mankind from sin. Being an ENTP, that makes the most sense to me and I appreciate God's creativity there. It's as if he's trying to teach us (and perhaps the angels) something through his own actions. I find it very fascinating how God created us because he wants a relationship with us (a family) and he wants us to want to know him with our own free wills. Not by force.
What do you believe was his reason to create the concept of sin as well?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

What do you believe was his reason to create the concept of sin as well?

I've wondered this. Why invent punishment? You could still allow people free-will and not invent punishment unless the punishment was to directly impede on free-will, which seems like more of a humane concept than a godly one.

Nicodemus

I'm thinking it's an interpretation on being made out of God. Many worship the earth and we're made out of the earth. So in this instance God would be the earth, inanimate, but allowing us to be created nonetheless.

It goes far more basic than that, as in chemistry in general, but in our limited perception we're controlled by our planet.
So god is defined as... the creating principle?

I define God as everything and beyond. (Truth is God, but "God" is not the Truth)

That should make sense.
Beyond everything? That does not make sense.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

So god is defined as... the creating principle?

God are the items with which we are built, not what actually builds us. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by creating principle.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain what created these items, but I imagine physics is what's trying to answer that part.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think both. God enters no unequal relationships. Don't tell the ego though.

I wouldn't even try to begin proving that incorrect. I think it is very likely the qualities of the substance that could build and be what is being built. With this I amend my first statement. I still think it requires both sciences to figure out how this works exactly.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well by my own definition of God you need God, but not a church.

I respect that, as long as you give yourself credit and are proud for the things you achieve and not God, I think its ok. I need by my own definition my coffee machine, without it I am only half-human half-troll :D

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Then, yes, such a concept of god would comfort me; in fact, I already believe in such a god, I just call him 'matter and engery'.

I really don't see why this idea can't be more widely accepted. Maybe it does goes back to the Ego that [MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION] mentioned.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand that you're not trying to advocate immoral behavior for the sake of "do what feels good". Regardless of whether or not there’s a God, we're accountable to ourselves. Drugs, sex: there are physical consequences in the 'here and now' for our sins (i.e., health problems). Your example seemed like a bogus example that didn't fit into the context of your own life (since I knew you were married) or what the majority in society would consider moral. So basically, I don’t think it matters what ones spiritual beliefs are because most people understand the worldly dangers of being sexually promiscuous.

I can agree with this.

How did I come to know Jesus? I don't need any further justification to believe in the unseen when I set out on journey to find the truth.

What exactly is "the unseen"? This sounds kind of nebulous.

I set out "open" to the possibility of God and eventually my heart found him in the midst of the storm.

Oh lawdy this statement always gets me.

1) What do you mean by "open" and why are you putting in quote marks?
2) What exactly do you mean by your "heart" finding him? This is ambiguous.

I'm not here to judge or prove that to anyone, as each person must walk their own path in life and do their own exploration.

This is a very cool sediment to have.

I think what [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] said makes sense because the Bible (God's word) tells the whole story, if one reads it in its entirety.

I have read it in it's entirety and the only reason Elfboy's particular brand of theism makes sense to you is because he chooses to share the same base tenet of your own particular brand of theism. I would put serious money that his version of Christianity vastly differs from yours.

The Christian God (Jesus) is the only God that makes provisions for the redemption of mankind from sin.

Being an ENTP, that makes the most sense to me and I appreciate God's creativity there. It's as if he's trying to teach us (and perhaps the angels) something through his own actions. I find it very fascinating how God created us because he wants a relationship with us (a family) and he wants us to want to know him with our own free wills. Not by force.

Sooooo many loaded statements and naked assertions in these two paragraphs that I won't even begin to bother.

As for the virgin, the cross: I see a very creative, humble God that tasted life and death "as man", for man. It doesn't need to line up with my 'ideals' of what an almighty God should do. It's Gods unique and perfect plan. Even though I have so many questions, my Fe tells me that I should respect the ones that made me (i.e., God, my parents); regardless of logic or how I feel.

Which is all well and good for you but does nothing for me.

Question to all reading this: Why the hell do so many people try to render God into such a superfluous, useless concept?

ETA: Don't answer the above question, I'm going to start another thread over it.

Nicodemus

I really don't see why this idea can't be more widely accepted. Maybe it does goes back to the Ego that [MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION] mentioned.
I believe part of the problem people have with pure materialism (the biggest part, I daresay) is historical. Reason is not as convincing as we might believe.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I believe part of the problem people have with pure materialism (the biggest part, I daresay) is historical. Reason is not as convincing as we might believe.

Could the two be combined? Gonna sound strange and I should probably think about it a lil more, but: The ego can't help but be angered at the fact that we are made out of something that is worth less than something we can buy? We are worth less than a jewel... Perhaps in it's usefulness (objectivity) and in it's beauty (subjectivity). Materialism is a creation of the ego in any case.

Nicodemus

Could the two be combined? Gonna sound strange and I should probably think about it a lil more, but: The ego can't help but be angered at the fact that we are made out of something that is worth less than something we can buy? We are worth less than a jewel... Perhaps in it's usefulness (objectivity) and in it's beauty (subjectivity). Materialism is a creation of the ego in any case.
I and my ego are not angered by the fact that we are made up of simple matter. I am not sure about what kind of combination you are talking.