• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Materalism

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I have seen this word used in widely-different ways. I wonder what other people think of this concept: is it overused to the point of meaninglessness? Do we use the word, even when it's not appropiate? And finally: what do you think it means?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
When I hear the word, it brings to mind (depending on the context) someone who values material comforts more than human relationships, intellectual pursuits, or spiritual concerns. It is probably over-used, but not as much as 'consumerism'.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When I think of a materialist, I think of it as a person who is focused mostly on accumulating wealth and status symbols, like a big house, a nice car, lots of expensive electronics, etc... you know what I mean?

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
When I think of a materialist, I think of it as a person who is focused mostly on accumulating wealth and status symbols, like a big house, a nice car, lots of expensive electronics, etc... you know what I mean?

Athenian is right for once. :solidarity:

I don't think it is meaningless and I think it is a problem in certain parts of the country more than others.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Social Materialsim: yay presents, stuff, goods, and money! Physical items like TV's, cars, games, food, other shit that I don't need! (also reltaed to consumerism)

Physical Materialism: all stuff in the universe is made up of atoms and all the shit you learned in physics. (also related to atomism)

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
A materialist values the material over the immaterial. This we can say for sure.

Mole

Permabanned
I have seen this word used in widely-different ways. I wonder what other people think of this concept: is it overused to the point of meaninglessness? Do we use the word, even when it's not appropiate? And finally: what do you think it means?

'Materialism' is a pejorative word used by those who believe in the supernatural.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bad mouthing those who don't believe in the supernatural.

The supernaturalists sneer at the naturalists by calling them 'materialists'.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bullying those who don't believe in the supernatural.

Qre:us

'Materialism' is a pejorative word used by those who believe in the supernatural.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bad mouthing those who don't believe in the supernatural.

The supernaturalists sneer at the naturalists by calling them 'materialists'.

The word 'materialism' is a way of bullying those who don't believe in the supernatural.

+3
1 for answering it correctly
1 for staying on topic with "philosophy"
1 for staying on topic with "spirituality"

Well done, Mr. Toad!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's two things. It can be someone who cares more about wealth than other human beings or relationships or intellect/education.

It can also be like when the little dancing man in Twin Peaks runs his hands back and forth and says "formica table," wondering at the reality of the physical world, at ideas and energy made form.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's a label.
I suppose people use it to define behavior, a preference towards material things.
I've actually thought of this for a while.

People perceive objects differently, therefor there will be a multitude of perspectives and "relationships" with objects.
If objects make us feel better, we buy more, otherwise we don't...obviously.

You feel something when you buy something new, you're somewhat excited, I can't define that feeling.
Buying things causes addiction...so the pleasure "materialistic" people experience from the objects must be pretty intense...otherwise...they wouldn't get ADDICTED to buying shit.

You can also spend your money on experiencing new things, which is far more interesting, you can go places, you can do a lot of stuff. You don't have to buy a bigger tv. :thelook:

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The two main meanings I encounter:

A focus on material wealth over other things.
The doctrine that reality is entirely material, or fundamentally based on the material.

All I can say is, the first one may well be a sensible way to prioritise life, I honestly don't know. It's certainly a solid path, with steady and predictable benefits.

The latter definition won't change your life in the slightest outside of the belief itself, and is yet another example of people forming opinions out of ignorance. Dualism, Idealism, Materialism, and whatever else, they all empirically identical from our view of the universe.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
You can also spend your money on experiencing new things, which is far more interesting, you can go places, you can do a lot of stuff.

Emphasis on experiences, such as travel is still materialistic in a sociological sense..