• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is "hope," and why do I "need" it??

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I find it difficult to describe my lack of hope. As it was described to me, hope is the wishing of a positive outcome.

Dictionary.com:
hope: A wish or desire accompanied by confident expectation of its fulfillment.

1. the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best: to give up hope.
7. to believe, desire, or trust: I hope that my work will be satisfactory.

It has come to my attention, via my therapist, that I don't have any concerning anything. No belief systems (not specific to religion) and no faith (also not specific to religion.)

I don't feel that I have a grasp on why it is important. I am completely ignorant to it. My therapist went on a long rant to "inspire" me, activating a hopeful feeling, and I felt nothing.

From what I hear as well is that not having this feature allows for a lot of self-doubt. I didn't realize it, but after nearly any decision concerning anything I just about beat myself to death with self-doubt. Wondering if that which I did/said was actually appropriate/necessary. Future plans success and failure, and so forth.

I'm aware that this isn't a therapy forum, but I wondered what y'alls opinions on this subject are.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
My apologies for not know how to do the snipettes of quotes thing:

I find it difficult to describe my lack of hope. As it was described to me, hope is the wishing of a positive outcome.

I would use a stronger word there for hope... "expecting" as opposed to "wishing"

Dictionary.com:
hope: A wish or desire accompanied by confident expectation of its fulfillment.

Yeh... above.

It has come to my attention, via my therapist, that I don't have any concerning anything. No belief systems (not specific to religion) and no faith (also not specific to religion.)

Are you being treated for depression? I'm familiar with that state as I was clinically depressed once resulting from medication. Depression, as I would define it, can manifest absence of hope... among other things.

I don't feel that I have a grasp on why it is important. I am completely ignorant to it. My therapist went on a long rant to "inspire" me, activating a hopeful feeling, and I felt nothing.

Its a motivator... but not necessary to it.

From what I hear as well is that not having this feature allows for a lot of self-doubt. I didn't realize it, but after nearly any decision concerning anything I just about beat myself to death with self-doubt. Wondering if that which I did/said was actually appropriate/necessary. Future plans success and failure, and so forth.

So, you're afraid of failing?

I'm aware that this isn't a therapy forum, but I wondered what y'alls opinions on this subject are

You'lll finad alot of threads deal with psychological issue... we're humans.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was going to reply to your post but then saw your extremely offensive signature.

Why on earth do you want to humiliate and shame something that so many people hold dear?

There are so many better ways of getting this point across that don't hurt people.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dictionary definitions aside, I think of hope as imagining a positive outcome to a situation. Sometimes I can muster hope; most of the times it's transitory. If you're questioning your abilities, then yeah, maybe it's linked. I don't think you need to have hope in religion to have hope in yourself, though.

sassafrassquatch

I was going to reply to your post but then saw your extremely offensive signature.

Why on earth do you want to humiliate and shame something that so many people hold dear?

There are so many better ways of getting this point across that don't hurt people.

OMG! didn't even see that!

ditto

whambulance.jpg

Anyhoo.

I don't put much stock in hope, thinking that thing will just get better on their own. We do the best we can and what will be will be. As far as the self doubt it might be an ISTJ thing. Being the Inspector we're supposed to be able to see all the ways that something could go wrong. I know I can. Kind of annoying.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Thanks for your reply, however:

If I wanted to discuss my signature I'd have posted that somewhere else. I find it to be extremely logical in the bullshit smashing category. I thank you, sincerely, but if I wanted your opinion I'd have asked for it.

:nice: