• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Seven NEW Deadly Sins?!?

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
being obscenely rich

Wouldn't that apply to the Catholic church itself?
Don't forget social injustice :steam: The Roman Catholic Church has been one of the greatest enforcers of social injustice throughout Europe for many centuries!!

sassafrassquatch

Dammit, I was just getting good at the old ones.

polluting the environment No
social injustice No
drug dealing Too dangerous
being obscenely rich Too much work, conflicts with Sloth
abortion I don't have a uterus
genetic engineering Not a mad scientist
pedophilia Eww

The church can eat a bag of dicks.
(They'd probably enjoy it)

sinead_l.jpg

:wubbie:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think children (and especially young children) are kinda scary looking, actually.

S

Sniffles

Basically these have been added as mortal sins, nothing more. All this sensationalist nonsense about new deadly sins is just that, sensationalist nonsense.

S

Sniffles

The Roman Catholic Church has been one of the greatest enforcers of social injustice throughout Europe for many centuries!!

Yes and no. The Church has also been at the forefront of social justice movements, even in the modern era. This especially occured following Pope Leo XIII's encyclical Rerum Novarum, which help set the stage for the developments of modern Catholic Social Doctrine.

S

Sniffles

kelric, you admit to not being a Catholic and having little understanding of what the Church teaches, so I'll go easy on you for this.

"Being rich" is now a sin? I'm not a religious person, but I'd always thought that what one does with one's power was more important than having power. Abuse of great wealth? Willful ignorance of the plights of others who have less? Greed? (oh, wait, that one's been around a while, hasn't it?) Sure, I can see that. But simply being wealthy?

No simply being wealthy is not a sin. As the list clearly states, it's being "obscenely wealthy" that is. And that arises out of numerous circumstances.

(Isn't the Catholic church pretty wealthy itself?)

Not as much as many people try to make it out to be. In any case, much of its wealth is spent on numerous endeavors.

Polluting the environment?

Yes that stems from the basic Christian understanding of man being given stewardship over nature.

Who's going to tell the peasant who's lived in squalor all of his life that the new coal-burning plant's electricity heating his home is a bad thing, worthy of being sent to hell?

That's not at all what the Church teaches. If a man has to choose between feeding his family and working in a place of sin, then the issue is upon those who choose to employ people in such sinful circumstances, putting them in that situation.

Social injustice has its heart in the right place, but it's pretty vague, too.

There's a whole area of Catholic doctrine that sets out to identify and define social justice and injustice. It's called Social Doctrine.

As en ex-geneticist I've got a pretty big beef with the "genetic engineering" one. There are certainly issues that need to be considered, but a black and white "genetic engineering will send you to hell" isn't the way to address it (just tell the folks who take bacterially generated human insulin daily, not to mention other medical treatments, that they'd be better off without it).

Again, you're dealing with a strawman here. Let's take stem cells as an obvious example. So much is made about the Church's opposition to embryonic stem cell research; yet you hardly ever hear that the Church actually supports the use of adult stem cells.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
This is just silly. I love my Catholic posse because they're usually good folk and give the world an occaisonal Aquinas or Lemaitre, but I thought this was a satire as well. I mean cmon:

polluting the environment
drug dealing
being obscenely rich
abortion
genetic engineering
pedophilia

All those are just activities one can partake in. And social injustice isn't a sin, it isn't anything. "Social Injustice" is just a phrase of rhetoric that people like journalists use to make it seem like they are writing about something important, hence justifying their paycheck.

Sin is something abstract as was mentioned, and this list has none of it. All of those actions, even pedophilia, are not necessarily sins - it depends on the context. There are cultures in this world where a young virgin bride will first be taken by the biological father before being given to the husband. Technically this is pedophilia as well as incest, but in this scenario I would not call it Lust.

Same with polluting. It's only Sloth if you become aware of polluting the environment and continue on your same course of action.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Who is the pope to say what sins are of consequence to damn someone's soul to hell? This is where religion gets to the point of being trivial and unnecessary. What happened to the personal relationship between man and God? We need an old robed man of prestige to say "Thou shalt not pollute the earth! Orders of the Lord!"? Why?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
There are cultures in this world where a young virgin bride will first be taken by the biological father before being given to the husband. Technically this is pedophilia as well as incest, but in this scenario I would not call it Lust.

Yikes :horor:. Where does this happen?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
It's some obscure tribe in South America. I read about them in one of my psych texts in a section about the relationship between culture and sexual behavior norms. I'll try n find a name

S

Sniffles

And social injustice isn't a sin, it isn't anything. "Social Injustice" is just a phrase of rhetoric that people like journalists use to make it seem like they are writing about something important, hence justifying their paycheck.

The fact that a concept can be abused doesn't actually invalidate it as a concept.

S

Sniffles

Who is the pope to say what sins are of consequence to damn someone's soul to hell?

He's the vicar of Christ. If you don't accept that, then don't be Catholic and move on with life. Simple as that.

What happened to the personal relationship between man and God? We need an old robed man of prestige to say "Thou shalt not pollute the earth! Orders of the Lord!"? Why?

Because it's literrally impossible for everybody to be an authority on everything. Therefore is most prudent to submit to authority on issues one lacks competence to fully comment on.

Of course to adhere to that would involve getting rid of one's ego, which dictates that one knows everything and doesn't need to be told what to think.