• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Swearing, cursing, vulgarity, verbal abuse

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Snakes on a plane loses something:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these [rather irritating] snakes on this [expletive deleted] plane!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I swear profusely while driving, and when I slip up or drop something on my foot or something of the sort... in normal conversation I rarely swear though... I have to keep my language straight so that I don't offend any older people while on the job :)

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't swear, except for the rare, accidental case when under extreme distress.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Snakes on a plane loses something:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these [rather irritating] snakes on this [expletive deleted] plane!

The edited version of this line is actually fairly infamous:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A"] Sam Jackson's Had Enough [/YOUTUBE]

Mole

Permabanned
I backed my father's brand new car into a tree and for the first and last time in his life he swore at me and I never forgot it.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I could make a sailor blush.

Interestingly enough, I field constituent calls every day at work and have to maintain the utmost decorum.

I really don't have any trouble catering my speech to the current audience.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Swearing is like pepper. If you use it carefully, it will be much more noticable and effective than if it's used in large doses in everything.

Caesar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I swear to convey extreme emotions, but only that (isn't that what swear words are for?). I don't mind it, and quite easily moderate it in front of different audiences.

Incidentally, what's philosophical or spiritual about this thread?

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Incidentally, what's philosophical or spiritual about this thread?

Not a fuck of a lot.

PS

For a good look at swearing and what it means (one word in particular), I recommend "Fuck: A Documentary"*. It's available presently on youtube.

*Rated R for offensive language

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJ3iPXQYag"] Here it is[/YouTube]

Also, much shorter but still kind of relevant:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbALbZ9bHFU"]The Folly of Euphemisms[/YOUTUBE]

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I curse pretty often for a woman, but I've noticed that I don't do it nearly as much. It just sort of slips out and I'm not really conscious of it.
However my SO, generally a really passive sweet guy, as been in the Army for less than a week...Well, before he RARELY said fuck. I mean, maybe like once or twice when really mad one a month. He called me and swear to god, it was like every sentence the f-bomb was dropped. I thought I would find it sexy and like...appealing cause it was something new. I hate it. Men shouldn't cuss around ladies, I've decided. Or at least not often. :x

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Seconded. Isn't that, in its most basic form, an indictment of women? Why are women so delicate that profanity is something they can't handle? They can handle potentially violent military or police service. They can handle high-pressure jobs. But profanity is a bridge too far? At best, your preference is YOUR preference, not woman's preference nor special treatment they need afforded to them.

Also, I know a several women who swear quite a lot.

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I come from a country where swearing is not considered particularly sinful, and not a subject for public debate (at least not since the 60s). I don't swear a lot, but when I do, I don't care if it's in front of women (!) and children. I remember being told off for swearing a couple of times in school, but I don't think the teacher even mentioned it to my parents. They wouldn't have cared if she did, either. I suppose it's a cultural difference - I don't understand why it's such a big deal in some countries... Makes me think about 'the knights who say Ni' again, I find it almost laughable how hysterical some people are about swearing ;)
I try to be respectful and nice when abroad - and when swearing on impulse in norwegian, nobody understands it anyway ;)

Pikazoid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do cuss a lot and it doesn't really bother me much. I find it pretty idiotic for people to be offended by them as swear words are just words... nothing else. And I don't really see how censoring and using substitutes for swear words will make a huge difference because you're still using those words with the same intention.

93JC

Do you swear a lot in posts or in person? Are you in a job were you cant or shouldnt? Is it a conscious thing or a habit? Do you have to correct others who speak this way?

I work in a job were I have to do this with young people, a lot of them are from cultural backgrounds were its typical and will tell you that its discriminatory to tell them not to speak that way, I tell them that the words are generally words of hate without any love and repeating them can get your blood boiling before you know it but I've noticed that I almost unconsciously correct others now and its lead to risky situations on occasion.

You need to chill the fuck out. :alttongue: I don't really understand what the hell you're getting at with this "cultural background" gobbledygook. No idea at all.

My language can "make a sailor blush". I moderate it as necessary. If I know you well chances are I will drop f-bombs all over the place if I can.

Mole

Permabanned
You need to chill the fuck out. :alttongue: I don't really understand what the hell you're getting at with this "cultural background" gobbledygook. No idea at all.

My language can "make a sailor blush". I moderate it as necessary. If I know you well chances are I will drop f-bombs all over the place if I can.

Here, swearing in public is a class marker. And whether we like it or not class determines our life chances.

Here, our accent is also a class marker. I understand that in the US accent does not delineate class and so Yankees tend to be deaf to the class implications of accent. Of course in the US class is determined primarily by money.

So here swearing in public is not just a personal matter, it is a social matter, and it affects our social standing.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I swear pretty copiously. I have to make an active effort not to when I am speaking with professors, etc.

Oddly, even though my parents were very strict about certain things... They never scolded my brother or I for foul language. So when we were adolescents we started swearing (especially in front of our parents, I think) because we were amused that we could without punishment. So by the time I finished high school it was second nature to me. I rarely notice when I swear.

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I swear a lot. It's a habit, I don't even realize i'm doing it 95% of the time. Sometimes I'll be talking to people who I SHOULD NOT swear around, and something will just slip out. I swear a lot more when I'm angry.