• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What to do when life is known to be pointless

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
tongue in cheek, a temporary derailment

can I quote what Bob Hope once said in response to that question, of "Which God do you believe in?"

:holy:

His answer was: "I believe in all of them. I figure, why ruin your chances of going to Heaven, because you believed in the wrong 'One'?"

Now that, is a wise man. :yes:

:cheers:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could kill yourself.
You could embrace it and live a live of nihilistic hedonism.
You could look for a point.
You could make up a point.
You could mope.
Probably there are many other things you can do.

I like to eat chocolate.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Ones belief or disbelief in something does not change the Reality, the Truth.

You not believing will only lead you to be in darkness, wandering between the valleys of confusion. Lucky if for short time, unlucky if till your death. At death, we shall soon come to know the Reality. Then it would be too late!!

*shrugs*

So be it I say. If you need a point in which to live your life around go for it. I don't. I exist and thats all there is to it for me.

We exist in a world where the fear of illusion is real
And we cling to the past to deny and confuse the ideal
Once inside, we can conceive and believe in a god we can't feel
I can't feel it

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what to do when life is known to be pointless? :huh:

I've always wondered why those who beleive in no higher purpose don't just live thier lives for the sake of thier own pleasure- if you don't beleive that you can get sent to hell or reincarnated as a snail in a salt mine, why bother being good? ;)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I've always wondered why those who beleive in no higher purpose don't just live thier lives for the sake of thier own pleasure- if you don't beleive that you can get sent to hell or reincarnated as a snail in a salt mine, why bother being good? ;)

Well.. "being" good isn't very important to atheists. Doing most things because they will benefit the person in some way, and not doing "bad" things because they are inhumane and cruel.. There is no thought of an afterlife, and yet, there is still a strong urge to be a good person. :)

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
I approve! Mightn't that fall under hedonism, though?

If the aforementioned chocolate is a good, dark one, and paired with an excellent Cabernet, then, i think hedonism turns into heaven.
angel3.gif

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
What do you do when you suddenly realise that your existence is completely pointless? Quite simply, you live for a higher ideal. I had one of those moments today in the shower; I thought "what the hell; there is no point to life". Then I tried to come up with a solution. That was it; you live for something greater than your own preservation. Be it justice, helping the helpless, spreading the truth or giving people joy and happiness. It's the way you feel truly satisfied as a human being.

I don't mean to sound trite and truly mean this... the answers are in "Its a Wonderful World"... the best one is the old one with Jimmy Stewart. I don't think any of us really realizes how many and in how many ways we touch the lives of others. I don't know if you're spiritual or not but I am and I also strongly believe in nature. If the answer does not lie in our impact on others, there would only be one of us here.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I approve! Mightn't that fall under hedonism, though?

Some pleasures transcend pure hedonism, especially if it's dark chocolate.
(As elfie says, chocolate + a sweet bouquet is blissfully and heavenly gay.)

...Now, if it were cheap fake chocolate, sure... that's hedonism... sorta like drinking Maddog out of a paper bag on the street.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Some pleasures transcend pure hedonism, especially if it's dark chocolate.
(As elfie says, chocolate + a sweet bouquet is blissfully and heavenly gay.)

...Now, if it were cheap fake chocolate, sure... that's hedonism... sorta like drinking Maddog out of a paper bag on the street.
Hey! :dont: Some of us like the simple pleasures. *comforts and reassures collection of Reece's, Almond Joys, Hersey's with Almonds, Peanut M&Ms, and Twix bars* :wubbie:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hey! :dont: Some of us like the simple pleasures. *comforts and reassures collection of Reece's, Almond Joys, Hersey's with Almonds, Peanut M&Ms, and Twix bars* :wubbie:

Snickers bars and a big bucket of movie popcorn drenched in butter.... plus a really good movie!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't mean to sound trite and truly mean this... the answers are in "Its a Wonderful World"... the best one is the old one with Jimmy Stewart. I don't think any of us really realizes how many and in how many ways we touch the lives of others. I don't know if you're spiritual or not but I am and I also strongly believe in nature. If the answer does not lie in our impact on others, there would only be one of us here.

:wubbie: I love it! excellent point!

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i dont think life has an especially deep or meaningful purpose, and i do not think it is necessarily pointless. it is human nature to cling to resolute black and white answers, regardless of their accuracy.

i think that life is about the last thing anyone would guess... something simple. that is, the point of life is to live.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
"when life is known to be pointless" <---- I don't think anyone can come to that resolution absolutely, and I think that is what keeps people going.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Unless they kill themselves (?).
Hard to say what goes through a person's mind when they've decided to kill them self and what led to it. I would think life frustrations, feelings of hopelessness and clinical depression would be the biggest factors and they can still exist even if you don't think life is "pointless." I'm referring to pointless as meaning no God, no possibilities of things we don't understand that would be of significance to giving more meaning and explaining a purpose to human life.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Hard to say what goes through a person's mind when they've decided to kill them self and what led to it. I would think life frustrations, feelings of hopelessness and clinical depression would be the biggest factors and they can still exist even if you don't think life is "pointless." I'm referring to pointless as meaning no God, no possibilities of things we don't understand that would be of significance to giving more meaning and explaining a purpose to human life.

Well, I was teasing you. ;) I wrote on what I think of it in an earlier post.