• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mythology: Favourite god/goddess...

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
...who is it, and why do you like them?

Other mythological creatures and figures - demons, angels, giants, etc. - are applicable as well!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Norse mythology.

Thor, Odin, Balder, Loki, Ragnarok... fun stuff!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like Pixies because they are mischievous and delicate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They sound easily stompable.

Yeah, but then I'd have to find a stick to scrape them off my boots with. (What a pain.) Hmm, maybe a unicorn would suffice....

You could never catch one! They are way too fast and make people tingle and tickle until the person completely loses control. You can't win with a pixie.

You don't need to actually catch them, you just need a bug zapper.

Beyonder

MBTI Type
intp
I like native american mythology. It's quitte lighthearted, less doom, more friendliness. I also think Enkidu (from the Gilgamesh epos) is a cool guy.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't like their music?

pixies_doolittle.jpg

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I do not know enough about mythology to actually pick a favorite. Keirsey wrote a book however where he assigned each of the types a god/goddess (totem deity) and what each type could be considered 'modeled' after.

Super sexy ISTPs got 'Ares God of conquest'.<<-----:hi:
INTPs were given (seriously) "Vulcan God of design"

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I like Artemis/Diana... but I don't know too much about mythology really.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Hermes/Mercury in brighter moments. Thoth.
Typhon in darker moments. Thoth-Amon
Nyarlathotep
Apollo Creed

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I do not know enough about mythology to actually pick a favorite. Keirsey wrote a book however where he assigned each of the types a god/goddess (totem deity) and what each type could be considered 'modeled' after.

Super sexy ISTPs got 'Ares God of conquest'.<<-----:hi:
INTPs were given (seriously) "Vulcan God of design"

Seriously!? I didn't know that. I thought vulcan was a craftsman :huh:

macjoven

MBTI Type
INFP
Hestephus (vulcan) was a craftsman, but he desinged all sorts of stuff too. Also, as hilbert space pointed out he had some major personal problems too. But then again, all the greek gods did. I do like dionysis, at least as the God of wine and fun he doesnt take himself too seriously.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I like Norse mythology.

Thor, Odin, Balder, Loki, Ragnarok... fun stuff!

Even if I know several people named Thor, Odin and Balder, live only a short drive from Heimdal, and like you english speakers name half my days after them, I still find the gods of Norse mythology very exotic.

What I find most fascinating though, is the way the gods change over time and from influences from other religions etc. Like there are things that suggest that Odin and Loki were once one and the same god, other things that suggest that Odin (Mercur-ish) gradually outgrew the real "all father" Tyr (Jupiter-ish) in populaty, and thus took on a new role etc, and still other things that suggest Valhalla isn't really a concept that existed before the concept of christian Paradise gradually started sreading to the corners of Europe.

I also love several other european gods, but they're all just variations of the same theme (the gods of antiquity combined with fertility gods, the creepylooking shapes in the nearby forest at night, and a dash of early christianity), so in a way I guess I could just say I love the european gods.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Great. We get the ugly, crippled god whose only major score was to leg-hump Athena and ejaculate into a rag?
I am but the lowly messenger :).
Seriously!? I didn't know that. I thought vulcan was a craftsman
That is what it says. The other NTs got cooler sounding ones.

I don't know the personal issues mine had (but if anyone knows I'd like to know) and the other NFs got :cool: sounding ones in comparison. (I looked it up on wikipedia-no leg humping :()
ENFJs were assigned "Janus God of stages of life".
ENFPs were given "Pandora God of disclosure":dry:

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
They sound easily stompable.

I bet they rawk too!

:steam: You could never catch one! They are way too fast and make people tingle and tickle until the person completely loses control. You can't win with a pixie.

:shock:

Perhaps not regular pixies, but there is a way to win against Terry Pratchett's pictsies (Wee Free Men/Nac Mac Feegle), though stomping isn't the answer:
But a pictsie was always ready for a fight, and they bounced, rolled and came up drawing their swords and shaking sea water out of their hair.
'Oh, 'tis you, izzut?' said Rob Anybody, glaring up at the Queen. 'Face to face wi' ye at last, ye bloustie ol' callyack that ye are! Ye canna' come here, unnerstand? Be off wi' ye! Are ye goin' to go quietly?'
The Queen stamped heavily on him. When she took her foot away, only the top of his head was visible above the turf.
'Well, are ye?' he said, pulling himself out as if nothing had happened. 'I don't wantae havtae lose my temper wi' ye! An' it's no good sendin' your pets against us, 'cos you ken we can take 'em tae the cleaners!' He turned to Tiffany, who hadn't moved. 'You just leave this tae us, Kelda. Us an' the Quin, we go way back!'
The Queen snapped her fingers. 'Always leaping into things you don't understand,' she hissed. 'Well, can you face these?'
Every Nac Mac Feegle sword suddenly glowed blue.
Back in the crowd of eerily lit pictsies a voice that sounded very much like that of Daft Wullie said:
'Ach, we're in real trouble noo . . .'

Three figures had appeared in the air, a little way away. The middle one, Tiffany saw, had a long red gown, a strange long wig and black tights with buckles on his shoes. The others were just ordinary men, it seemed, in ordinary grey suits.
'Oh, ye are a harrrrrd wumman, Quin,' said William the gonnagle, 'to set the lawyers ontae us . . .'
'See the one on the left there,' whimpered a pictsie. 'See, he's got a briefcase! It's a briefcasel Oh, waily, waily, a briefcase, waily
Reluctantly, a step at a time, pressing together in terror, the Nac Mac Feegles began to back away.
'Oh, waily waily, he's snappin' the clasps,' groaned Daft Wullie. 'Oh, waily waily waily, 'tis the sound o' Doom when a lawyer does that!'

'Mister Rob Anybody Feegle and sundry others?' said one of the figures in a voice of dread.
'There's naebody here o' that name!' shouted Rob Anybody. 'We dinnae know anythin'!'
'We have heard a list of criminal and civil charges totalling nineteen thousand, seven hundred and sixty-three separate offences-'
'We wasnae there!' yelled Rob Anybody desperately. 'Isn't that right, lads?'
'- including more than two thousand cases of Making an Affray, Causing a Public Nuisance, Being Found Drunk, Being Found Very Drunk, Using Offensive Language (taking into account ninety-seven counts of Using Language That Was Probably Offensive If Anyone Else Could Understand It), Committing a Breach of the Peace, Malicious Lingering-'
'It's mistaken identity!' shouted Rob Anybody. 'It's no' oour fault! We wuz only standing there an' someone else did it and ran awa'!'
'- Grand Theft, Petty Theft, Burglary, Housebreaking, Loitering With Intent To Commit a Felony-'
'We wuz misunderstood when we was wee bairns!' yelled Rob Anybody. 'Ye're only pickin' on us cuz we're blue! We always get blamed for every thin'! The polis hate us! We wasnae even in the country!'
But, to groans from the cowering pictsies, one of the lawyers produced a big roll of paper from his briefcase. He cleared his throat and read out: 'Angus, Big; Angus, No'-As-Big-As-Big-Angus; Angus, Wee; Archie, Big; Archie, One-Eyed; Archie, Wee Mad-'
They've got oour names!' sobbed Daft Wullie. They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!'