• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mythology: Favourite god/goddess...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Damn it, I was hoping to mention Tyr first and not look like a copy cat :steam:

Oh well...

Anyhow, mythology.. has to be either Norse or Egyptian. I'd prbably like some of the Chinese or Japanese stuff but I only know the word Oni through Manga/ Anime so I can't really form an opinion.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Norse for me too. Hmm. Odin it is. In one of his poetic wise modes.

-Geoff

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great. We get the ugly, crippled god whose only major score was to leg-hump Athena and ejaculate into a rag?

But... but... he had his work to inspire and satisfy him!

--

I dunno, I have always found all mythology fascinating. I remember getting so many books out of the library as a kid on mythology. Started with Greek, moved onto Norse; those are the two I know the best (and I suppose I like Norse the better of the two).

Have glossed over some Welsh/Irish myth, Russian myth, Assyrian myth, and African myth in the meanwhile, but more just like bits and pieces.

I sort of veered into "personal" myth by the time I was in middle school, such as Tolkien and LeGuin and Lewis and other fantasy writers, and began working on my own ideas ten years ago or so. Gaiman's "Sandman" mythos is a favorite construction of mine.

Not sure about a "favorite" creature from myth. I always loved some of the Greek stories (such as Daedalus). Orpheus is another great poignant story, one of the best -- such loss, combined with such heroic feat of bravery, thwarted in the end by Orpheus' humanity, resulting in tragedy. But I've always fascinated by symbols such as the unicorn or the minotaur or the medusa. The chimera is neat too, especially the way the word has been melded into medical lit nowadays to signify one of those rare individuals who is genetically two people.

My favorite creatures are bears and ravens... so much that a pair of ravens were incorporated into the stories that my friend and I are writing, as sort of the "eyes and ears" of the Forgotten God and also us as the narrators.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP

Love Gaiman!

I'd happily turn gay for Gaiman if he wanted me to. Or leg-hump him and ejaculate into his rug like a true INTP if that was more to his liking.

I didn't really discover Sandman until recently through some randomly downloaded The Dreaming books. I knew of it, ofc, but I preferred novels, and loved American Gods, Good Omens etc. I hadn't realized the brilliance of the Sandman mythos. So now I have loads and loads of unread Sandman issues to look forward to. :party2:

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I enjoy egyptian mythology and all of its quirks. Oh and Set owns...

J1129

MBTI Type
INFJ
I love mythology, especially Egyptian & Greco-Roman!

My favorites would have to be Thoth, Ptah, Apollo, etc

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hermes, Horus, Heimdall, Pan

"Horus then deliberately spreads his own semen on some lettuce, which was Set's favorite food (the Egyptians thought that lettuce was phallic). After Set has eaten the lettuce, they go to the gods to try to settle the argument over the rule of Egypt."

I've won my share of arguments with this clever ploy.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
PAR TOUTATIS!!!

(I couldn't find one pic to sum up your post, but with two I think I managed fairly well.)
8135237.jpg

Films2006Asterix_et_Cleopatre.jpg

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
...who is it, and why do you like them?

Other mythological creatures and figures - demons, angels, giants, etc. - are applicable as well!
Mythological, eh? What is mythological about the truth?

I saw a scent, ever so tiny, of Perkunas the day before yesterday.
Teivas, mythological? Read natural history.
I saw Saule with his chariots in the morning.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Mythological, eh? What is mythological about the truth?

I saw a scent, ever so tiny, of Perkunas the day before yesterday.
Teivas, mythological? Read natural history.
I saw Saule with his chariots in the morning.

I see that time hasn't made you any more Earth-bound.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I see that time hasn't made you any more Earth-bound.
A comment my elder ISTP brother once would have made.

Not any more.

Perkunas=Thor=thunder and Teivas=Zeus=sky belong to Gea=Terra=Earth.
Gea belongs to Helios=Saule=Sole=Sun.

They are etymologically as well as physically connected.

Very Earth-bound.
Eventually Sun-bound.

Read Kopernikus.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Anoia:

The minor goddess of Things That Stick in Drawers, Anoia is praised by rattling a drawer and crying "How can it close on the damned thing but not open with it? Who bought this? Do we ever use it?" She also eats corkscrews and is responsible for Things Down The Backs of Sofas. She is considering moving into stuck zippers.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
A comment my elder ISTP brother once would have made.

Not any more.

Perkunas=Thor=thunder and Teivas=Zeus=sky belong to Gea=Terra=Earth.
Gea belongs to Helios=Saule=Sole=Sun.

They are etymologically as well as physically connected.

Very Earth-bound.
Eventually Sun-bound.

Read Kopernikus.

How fascinating.

Please tell me more.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From Egyptian mythology: Anubis, Horus, Bast
From Greek mythology: Orion, Artemis, the Fates (Koltho, Lakhesis, and Atropos)
From Japanese mythology: kitsune
From Norse mythology: Fenrir, Hugin and Munin

The "why"? I'm not sure. I just think they are cool in some way or I like the stories associated with them.