• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Atheist's Worst Nightmare: The Banana

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I noticed there's a "head to head" news show on this week (I think it's ABC), with Kirk Cameron and some Christian pastor arguing with two atheists about whether God exists.

Aside from Kirk Cameron, the concept sounded interesting... but I hope it's better than this video clip I found.

Criticism/comments?

HilbertSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I have to confess that I sent that link to a lot of people after seeing it for the first time a while ago. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant parody. I only found out recently that it was serious.

outmywindow

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, that banana crap is the worst argument ever. What scares me is that it's so successful on certain types of people.

On a semi-related note, I saw a drink today advertised as being "Bananatastic." More like "Bananacrappy" or "Bananagetthatthefuckawayfromme."

I have to confess that I sent that link to a lot of people after seeing it for the first time a while ago. I thought it was an absolutely brilliant parody. I only found out recently that it was serious.

There's nothing more gut-wrenching than the feeling of "Oh my god, they meant that."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:ng_mad:

Hey, wait! I thought that was the "peanut butter" clip, not the banana cli...

Oh my. :blush:

And here I was figuring it would just be something about ID... which at least sounds more intelligent than the infamous "banana" strategy.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It isn't intelligent, but I could make a video about how we know there is intelligent design because, no matter whether we are newborns or aged, our index fingers are always the right size to fit comfortably in our nostrils. Not only that, it is a clear sign that it is God's will that we pick our noses.

outmywindow

MBTI Type
INTP
It isn't intelligent, but I could make a video about how we know there is intelligent design because, no matter whether we are newborns or aged, our index fingers are always the right size to fit comfortably in our nostrils. Not only that, it is a clear sign that it is God's will that we pick our noses.

Do it! You could start the next next internet viral video phenomenon! Your fame would culminate with a guest spot on the Benny Hinn Ministries show on TBN, or maybe even 700 Club.

HilbertSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
:ng_mad:

Hey, wait! I thought that was the "peanut butter" clip, not the banana cli...

Oh my. :blush:

And here I was figuring it would just be something about ID... which at least sounds more intelligent than the infamous "banana" strategy.

Yeah, it's really tough when your banana clip is filled with blanks...
:rimshot:

In any case, I'd be interested in having a discussion on ID at some point, if we could manage to have a quiet, interesting, and civil one. Problem is that you don't need a crystal ball so see where a thread like that would go before the first page filled up.

hereandnow

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, it's really tough when your banana clip is filled with blanks...
:rimshot:

In any case, I'd be interested in having a discussion on ID at some point, if we could manage to have a quiet, interesting, and civil one. Problem is that you don't need a crystal ball so see where a thread like that would go before the first page filled up.

Let's try anyway.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The irony is that, of course, the banana we see today bears little resemblence to its wild cousin. The banana we see today has evolved over thousands of years due to strict selective breeding by humans, so the fact that it is so well designed (or rather, adapted), is of little or no surprise.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Let's try anyway.

If nothing else, the flames from such a thread would make a small renewable energy source. (though thermal pollution is an issue.)

I had this happen once. someone stuck an anti-evolution cartoon on a forum, I thought it was really funny, than someone pointed out it was serious. (Which was still kind of funny, and did beg the question of who would actually be convinced to change opinions based on it.)

HilbertSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
The irony is that, of course, the banana we see today bears little resemblence to its wild cousin. The banana we see today has evolved over thousands of years due to strict selective breeding by humans, so the fact that it is so well designed (or rather, adapted), is of little or no surprise.

I don't know about irony, but they sure are potassiumy.

There's a "response" video that points this out, as well as making fun of the entire approach by applying the given reasoning to things like the pineapple and coconut. It's maybe a little over the top.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, so they've got Kirk and the Banana Guy to promote atheism, but who are they going to have speaking on behalf of Christianity?

I'm agnostic, but I think the primary thing working against people giving ID any serious consideration is the creationist camp's relentless propensity for handing flakes like this over to the media.

(And I'm almost certain that Kirk and the Banana Guy was a failed sitcom pilot in the early nineties.)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

I found this incredibly ironic. I mean, pick something like an apple... My parents grow bananas (yes, in CANADA. I don't understand it either...) and I learnt (willingly, really) a lot of them growing up.

The banana is the ID's nightmare - a plain and documented process of evolving from something useless to something disgusting (sorry, I hate the taste), complete with the different versions existing in the wild! And it has one of the longest documented histories of any plant in the world.

Growing pains indeed :D

HilbertSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Let's try anyway.

I'm up for it, but I think it would have to be heavily policed or locked down. Without that, it'd get completely derailed (a la the dreaded Tree Ring Tangent), or it would cross the line from interesting discussion to meaningless and boring argument (crossing what I'm going to call the Kuranes Barrier).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I wouldn't mind having one, except who would we get to argue the side of ID?

(I've read a book or two on it, but wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means.)

I'm up for it, but I think it would have to be heavily policed or locked down. Without that, it'd get completely derailed (a la the dreaded Tree Ring Tangent), or it would cross the line from interesting discussion to meaningless and boring argument (crossing what I'm going to call the Kuranes Barrier).

lol. Well, I can mod it, if you want, and keep things from getting out of hand on a personal level.

I have to admit, that thread you linked to ended up being rather dull. (I even got bored writing my own post, which is why I told everyone just to skip the personal crap and go straight to the end if they wanted.) At least the Tree Rings held a vestige of interest until the bitter end.