User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

PRAISE THE CLAW for this debate - in which there is NO debate - because there IS a CLAW - the only CLAW, CLAW ALMIGHTY. --- The aclawists sounded so unknowledgable and were just talking in circles - thank you, Ray and Kirk for sharing the TRUTH. - I pray that hearts will be open to accept and believe that TRUTH. - Amen

Praise the CLAW! Kirk & Ray spread the WORD to those who lack the CLAW, now it is for them to accept it or not. I believe when the two non-believer said that they were of the CLAW, I believe what they were really saying was, "I was brought up in a CLAW household with CLAW parents." I don't believe they were saying I chose the CLAW, but am no longer one. One you accept the CLAW as your CLAW and SAVIOR for yourself, HE is forever dwells in your heart.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

Bwahahah.... that was awesome Cafe

MBTI
    INTP

I watched to the half that ABC has chosen to make available so far, and I'll do the same when the other half goes up. I do have to say, though, that I didn't find the arguments presented by either side to be new, creative, or insightful.

The side presented by Comfort was predictable - it was Paley's Watch for the Universe, Paley's Watch for Natural Law, and truth as evidenced by conversion. The counterarguments were less forceful than they might have been.

There was (in my opinion) a more interesting debate recently held in London - not on the question of the existence of God, but whether Man is better off without religion. It's audio only, but it's a fairly good listen, and the arguments on both sides are better presented.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    INTJ

That was good, Cafe.

I don't even want to know how much blood wound up on the walls.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    I watched to the half that ABC has chosen to make available so far, and I'll do the same when the other half goes up. I do have to say, though, that I didn't find the arguments presented by either side to be new, creative, or insightful.

The side presented by Comfort was predictable - it was Paley's Watch for the Universe, Paley's Watch for Natural Law, and truth as evidenced by conversion. The counterarguments were less forceful than they might have been.
    I listened to most of what was posted as well, and I had the same general opinion. I was a little disappointed (although, realistically, any show touting Kirk Cameron as a debater -- from what I know about him, not necessarily just because he's a celeb -- doesn't create a lot of expectation in me to begin with) by the whole thing. It was all the same basic Level 1 style arguments I've heard before.

And there were some missteps. Kelly started well on her basic rebuttal (where she described the role of science), but in the last few minutes of it really just resorted to some personalized attacks or misrepresentations of the opposition position. I wasn't really keen on hearing things veer into Bible land either, whether it was the Creationists making assertions that could not be proven or the Atheists casting passages in dubious lights.

I'm not holding high hopes for the rest, unfortunately.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how the First Cause argument can be answered, because it's an assertion, not a derived proof. If God exists outside the realm of science and is not a victim of its laws, then we have no way to evaluate him; everything is conjecture. So I'm not even sure why it should get brought up in a discussion like this. The Creationist says, "Here's what I believe," and the Atheist can only respond, "I have no way to check that out." Argument seems a waste of time.

...man, I could use a banana right now...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Saw this video a while ago...

I think it should be moved to the sex forum.

MBTI
    ESFJ

They should try to explain the pineapple or coconut.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.