• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intent.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I seem to have run into a little trouble in a couple of relationships lately and the issue seems to be one of Intent.

I have had issues with this myself.. so I am asking.

What happens to good intentions if the only means of fulfilling them requires you to go into questionable moral and ethical territory.

Does a good intention fulfilled by dubious means, remain a good intention?

My tangent on the subject, and I am not sure how they relate goes like this..

What happens when we need 10000 laws to enforce 10 commandments.

For me it works like this..

Stealing is wrong.. No where does it say that theft over $1000 is more of a crime than theft under $1000, Until man's subjectivity takes a hold of it.

So in the same instance.. the sin or crime is lying.. period.. Only then do we begin to justify and classify our lies.

Same with murder.. No where does it say one life is worth more or less than another.. so therefore in any violent situation..No where does it suggest that some victims are worse off than others. Or that the impact of violence increase or decreases depending who the victim is.

I think this is where much of my conflict with people stems from. It's about putting subjective value on intent.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this..

Is intent the true factor or is it a simply a means to justify our sense of entitlement and self righteousness.

Where does the line get drawn??

Mole

Permabanned
I seem to have run into a little trouble in a couple of relationships lately and the issue seems to be one of Intent.

I have had issues with this myself.. so I am asking.

What happens to good intentions if the only means of fulfilling them requires you to go into questionable moral and ethical territory.

Does a good intention fulfilled by dubious means, remain a good intention?

My tangent on the subject, and I am not sure how they relate goes like this..

What happens when we need 10000 laws to enforce 10 commandments.

For me it works like this..

Stealing is wrong.. No where does it say that theft over $1000 is more of a crime than theft under $1000, Until man's subjectivity takes a hold of it.

So in the same instance.. the sin or crime is lying.. period.. Only then do we begin to justify and classify our lies.

Same with murder.. No where does it say one life is worth more or less than another.. so therefore in any violent situation..No where does it suggest that some victims are worse off than others. Or that the impact of violence increase or decreases depending who the victim is.

I think this is where much of my conflict with people stems from. It's about putting subjective value on intent.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this..

Is intent the true factor or is it a simply a means to justify our sense of entitlement and self righteousness.

Where does the line get drawn??

We are all keen to know the other's intent. Do they intend us harm or do they intend us good?

If they intend us harm it is usually hidden behind deceit because they can't openly come out and say they intend to harm us emotionally. No, when they have harmed us emotionally, they will say, I had no intention to harm you. So it is wise to attend to what they do rather than what they say.

Also often intent is unconscious and even they don't know whether they intend to harm us or not.

And if we unconsciously intend to harm them, then it is a partnership made in heaven - two people with the same unconscious intent to harm.