• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why did Jesus have to die?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Christianity fought the Enlightenment tooth and nail, and the Enlightenment succeeded in creating the world around us in spite of Christianity.

We can see the washup of that conflict on Central where we have irridentist catholics speaking against the Enlightenment with some venom.

We even have protestants speaking against the Enlightenment but mostly they are just ignorant of what happened in the 17th and 18th centuries.

And so many don't even know how the Enlightenment created the world around us.

What would you do without me to tell you?

I think the theological debates of Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Origen, etc etc set the stage for the theistic rationalists like Newton and Kant who then began asking more abstract questions and then grew brave enough to throw off religious shackles and usher us into the modern age, though it wasn't really until after the existentialists that philosophy realized it was mostly dead and ceded it's boundaries to abstract mathematicians.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Only God can judge.

Then God is evil - he would, under your statement, dictate the entire spectrum of our self-worth and the whole course of our salvation; this is because we would not have a choice and which of course would lead to our stagnation as a developing species.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only God can ultimately judge, humans can relatively judge.

Mole

Permabanned
AMDG

Only God can ultimately judge, humans can relatively judge.

C'mon, God kick started the three monotheistic religions, the three Abrahamic religions, by ordering Abraham to tie up his son, Isaac, and eviserate him, cut him up with a large knife, for the greater glory of the one God.

And for centuries children were forced to write at the top of their school work, "AMDG", short for, "ad majorem Dei gloriam", meaning, "for the greater glory of God", in remembrance of God's order to Abraham to abuse and murder his son.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
C'mon, God kick started the three monotheistic religions, the three Abrahamic religions, by ordering Abraham to tie up his son, Isaac, and eviserate him, cut him up with a large knife, for the greater glory of the one God.

And for centuries children were forced to write at the top of their school work, "AMDG", short for, "ad majorem Dei gloriam", meaning for the greater glory of God, in remembrance of God's order to Abraham to abuse and murder his son.

Your subjective judgement of God's perceived morality based on one misunderstood act of God really goes to show how little you understand the concepts. Relating children writing AMDG on their schoolwork to Abraham's actions is not a meaningful cause-effect relationship.

Mole

Permabanned
Your subjective judgement of God's perceived morality based on one misunderstood act of God really goes to show how little you understand the concepts. Relating children writing AMDG on their schoolwork to Abraham's actions is not a meaningful cause-effect relationship.

Please, AMDG is a slogan of the Jesuits who have just been forced to pay out 3.1 million dollars to the children they raped in the north east of the Americas.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please, AMDG is a slogan of the Jesuits who have just been forced to pay out 3.1 million dollars to the children they raped in the north east of the Americas.

Citing "the children" does not add to your arguments, rather just makes you seem silly. I assume you are trolling me.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Narrative reasons.

If a christian is one who is certain there's a god,
an atheist is one who is certain there's not,
agnostics aren't sure,
what do they call the people who don't care?

I know this post is years old, but those people are called apatheists (or pragmatic atheists).

Mole

Permabanned
Citing "the children" does not add to your arguments, rather just makes you seem silly. I assume you are trolling me.

As I write Australia is having a Royal Commission into child abuse so naturally I am interested in the theological implications.

And we see child abuse at the very beginnings of our religions when God ordered Abraham to abuse and kill his son, Isaac.

And this child abuse is continued when, in order to forgive us, God the Father, tortured his Son to death.

And this template of child abuse has been carried forward for two millennia where the priests and religious have continued to abuse children with the connivance of the police and the politicians.

The first successful attempt to stop institutional child abuse was carried out by the Government of Ireland under Justice Seán Ryan.

The Ryan Report took nine years and came down on 20 May, 2009. The Ryan Report showed institutional child abuse was endemic in Ireland.

Ireland was the first country in the world to oppose institutional child abuse and Australia is the second, following in Ireland's footsteps.

Why isn't your country following the example of Ireland and Australia in opposing institutional child abuse?

And indeed you might ask yourself - why I am defending child abuse?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
3r7w6x.jpg

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Honestly, I'm not very much impressed by people with a theology degree either. Their education tends to be just as biased, just in a different direction...

Totally agree with that statement. The irony is that most "lay people" wouldn't agree with theologians either, even ones of their own faith *eyeroll*

As to the OP, I'm guilty of not really watching the video. The atheist part of my brain saw the words Jesus and sin and my brain erected a Level 10 shield.