• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dear Misanthropes,

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Trying not to hate someone, makes you hate them even more. At least, that's what our Social Psychology teacher told us yesterday. I don't know if I can believe him, he said some more things that didn't make sense.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tried and true hate alchemy:

Hatred * Understanding = Pity
Pity - Condescension = Compassion

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Tried and true hate alchemy:

Hatred * Understanding = Pity
Pity - Condescension = Compassion

I can see how the first equation might happen. Understanding could come through education: learning about others' situations, their experiences.

How might the second equation happen? How could someone subtract condescension?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see how the first equation might happen. Understanding could come through education: learning about others' situations, their experiences.

How might the second equation happen? How could someone subtract condescension?

By not using the percieved flaw or disadvantage of the person as proof to your ego that you're a better human being than them. I don't know, it's just something that I do when I want to get past hate.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
By not using the percieved flaw or disadvantage of the person as proof to your ego that you're a better human being than them. I don't know, it's just something that I do when I want to get past hate.

Helpful. Thank you.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm talking about the majority. I know it's wrong to make generalizations, but most people are dumb, boring and unreliable pieces of garbage that destroy your life whenever they might gain any benefit from it.

Thank you. Your belief is very strong.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you insist on believing that humanity is composed of spineless, brainless, grotesque germs who routinely consume their own body weight in excrement?

I do not agree with the second part.

I think that they consume twice their body weight in excrement, routinely.

I try to love people, but they gotta give me a good reason...and being alive doesn't count as a very good reason.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'd like to change it if I could. Misanthropy is not an easy thing to live with, you know. It just became a part of me, over the years.

I understand. I found a belief of my own a few days ago that startled me. It's not misanthropy, but it definitely has caused me trouble, and I'd like to change it. Although, I'm not sure how to do that, yet.

You said, "I'd like to change it if I could." A thought: Do you happen to have any kind of belief, something along these lines: that everyone is equal?

Like, we are all star dust. Or, we were all born as vulnerable babies, but we were all heavily influenced by experiences, and not all of those were helpful experiences.

Maybe strengthening (exploring) a belief like one of those would lessen misanthropy.

I'm thinking I could do that kind of thing with the belief that's causing me trouble. Maybe it would work.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I understand. I found a belief of my own a few days ago that startled me. It's not misanthropy, but it definitely has caused me trouble, and I'd like to change it. Although, I'm not sure how to do that, yet.

You said, "I'd like to change it if I could." A thought: Do you happen to have any kind of belief, something along these lines: that everyone is equal?

Like, we are all star dust. Or, we were all born as vulnerable babies, but we were all heavily influenced by experiences, and not all of those were helpful experiences.

Maybe strengthening (exploring) a belief like one of those would lessen misanthropy.

I'm thinking I could do that kind of thing with the belief that's causing me trouble. Maybe it would work.

In that case my misanthropy would get even worse. The only way to release me from my misanthropy would be by erasing a long episode of my life and as we all know the past can't be changed. I used to be normal and philanthropic, you know.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Because fantasy>reality, and it can be hard to reconcile the stark contrasts between human potential and the current state of humanity.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Have you guys ever considered that this might actually be utopia?

Cue: "oh god, listen to this guy, where's the exit, what do you mean there's no exit?"

Nice party you guys got here. Is there bean dip?

wink

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A most fascinating topic. I am quite interested in the psychology of misanthropes, misogynists and misandrists.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The people who aren't bad are just faking it to get sex. :alttongue:

You'd be surprised how attitudes suddenly become golden when the opposite sex nearby. One young woman changed my brother from being somewhat selfish and hostile to being generous and nice, I never thought it was possible.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Is misanthropy useful in other ways than being a defense mechanism?

I think simply accepting the reality of the situation is enough; why have a hatred that could lead to hopelessness?

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Deep, inspiring hatred ranks up there with sexual pleasure.

It takes the ugly, boring superficial form of the despised and makes something intricate and mesmerizing.

If I didn't have my hateful thoughts, my far more interesting but all too accurate reimaginings of the utterly bland "human race", I'd have no choice but to blindly flail my arms in violent discontent.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Actually, Jim wakes up a human everyday. Trust him. He'd know.