• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dear Misanthropes,

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Could be misanthropy is a form of projection. Self-hate projected on to other people. I've yet to meet a person happy with themselves who hated other people.

Which one are ye?

Within

Permabanned
Why do you insist on believing that humanity is composed of spineless, brainless, grotesque germs who routinely consume their own body weight in excrement?

Wait, are we talking about humankind in general or just the coprophiliacs?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Which one are ye?

My sometimes self-hate is self-love, or is it the reverse. I am never quite sure.

I am guilty of resentments which I blow up into existential grudges against mankind. But, at root is really just a basic emotion. It seems like that happens a lot. We have an emotion then we construct an intellectual idea to support it.

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
My sometimes self-hate is self-love, or is it the reverse. I am never quite sure.

This does not make sense. Would you mind expressing it in such a way that it does, please? :)

I am guilty of resentments which I blow up into existential grudges against mankind. But, at root is really just a basic emotion. It seems like that happens a lot. We have an emotion then we construct an intellectual idea to support it.

I've seen this before. I find it interesting to search for justification in feeling something - when feelings do not necessarily have logical underpinnings and seem to be exacerbated by attempts at validation.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Why do you insist on believing that humanity is composed of spineless, brainless, grotesque germs who routinely consume their own body weight in excrement?

Dear Tater,

I am projecting the intense emotional venom of my own self-loathing onto the entire human race, in order to draw the potency of the sting to my self esteem by belittling them so ferociously that I end up regarding them as even less than I am wont to regard myself.

This does not make me truly accept myself or feel at peace, but at least makes me able to face the pain of my existence each day without being overwhelmed with despair at the futility of it all. If I know myself to be an essentially worthless being at core, it is nevertheless a comfort to criticise others until I am assured that they are even less than I.

Yours,

Ann Thrope (Miss)

Dear Misanthropes - what you don't like is seeing your own faces being reflected back to you.

I don't know if I count as a misanthrope, but, while I find the above critiques to be accurate with regards to a certain category of people who most certainly should be regarded as misanthropes, they would be accusations falsely laid upon a whole nother group (of which I, myself, am a part [and, who knows, may be the only member]), who simply believe in appraising a thing for exactly what it's worth.

Blame it on me being a Libra.

:shrug:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
This does not make sense. Would you mind expressing it in such a way that it does, please? :)

Masochism (not sexual masochism), according to Sartre, is the addiction to failure. So, the fact that I indulge in self-hating behaviors, thoughts, etc. does not mean that they are not intrinsically self-serving. Get it?

I've seen this before. I find it interesting to search for justification in feeling something - when feelings do not necessarily have logical underpinnings and seem to be exacerbated by attempts at validation.

I think it comes from being out of touch or suppressing what you feel.

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
Masochism (not sexual masochism), according to Sartre, is the addiction to failure. So, the fact that I indulge in self-hating behaviors, thoughts, etc. does not mean that they are not intrinsically self-serving. Get it?

Yes. I did not intend to insult your method of wording - if ye honestly enjoy the sensation of self-flagellation I won't knock it.

I think it comes from being out of touch or suppressing what you feel.

I would agree with this.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes. I did not intend to insult your method of wording - if ye honestly enjoy the sensation of self-flagellation I won't knock it.

I don't enjoy it but perhaps it is convenient. It's a convenient means to shrug off responsibility, for example.

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
I don't enjoy it but perhaps it is convenient. It's a convenient means to shrug off responsibility, for example.

Do ye use it as an excuse to not actually fix whatever it is that pains you?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do ye use it as an excuse to not actually fix whatever it is that pains you?

I think sometimes I use it as a way to avoid anxiety. In some ways feeling bad is safer than not knowing what to expect.

Zoom

Enneagram
9w8
I think sometimes I use it as a way to avoid anxiety. In some ways feeling bad is safer than not knowing what to expect.

I'm tempted to continue this conversation on a deeper level - would ye rather not?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I don't like people, they're dumb and boring sheep and I don't trust them. They're the reason why I'm not a Christian: if there is a God that made humanity after his own example, he must be a complete loser and an asshole and in that case he doesn't deserve the appreciation some people demand us to have for him. I don't actively hate them, I just like other animals better. There is a little spider on my wall and I like it better than most people I've met. I know for sure the spider would never stab me to death if someone offers it money for it, but you can never know with people.

And I am completely happy with myself, to the point of being narcissistic. Sorry.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I don't like people, they're dumb and boring sheep and I don't trust them. They're the reason why I'm not a Christian: if there is a God that made humanity after his own example, he must be a complete loser and an asshole and in that case he doesn't deserve the appreciation some people demand us to have for him. I don't actively hate them, I just like other animals better. There is a little spider on my wall and I like it better than most people I've met. I know for sure the spider would never stab me to death if someone offers it money for it, but you can never know with people.

And I am completely happy with myself, to the point of being narcissistic. Sorry.

Do you mind if I ask:

Do you not consider yourself a person? That is, I have heard this before from others: "I don't like people, they're dumb and boring sheep and I don't trust them." I don't understand the viewpoint. You're completely happy with yourself, and you don't like people, but you're a people.

Obviously this makes sense to you, but it doesn't to me, and I'd like to understand.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Do you mind if I ask:

Do you not consider yourself a person? That is, I have heard this before from others: "I don't like people, they're dumb and boring sheep and I don't trust them." I don't understand the viewpoint. You're completely happy with yourself, and you don't like people, but you're a people.

Obviously this makes sense to you, but it doesn't to me, and I'd like to understand.

I'm talking about the majority. I know it's wrong to make generalizations, but most people are dumb, boring and unreliable pieces of garbage that destroy your life whenever they might gain any benefit from it.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've been really trying not to be misanthropic, but the general population just makes it so easy to loathe them.

I think my general disliking of them is starting to fade away, however. Very slowly, but hopefully surely.