• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would you choose #2

Which would you choose?

• I would open the box.

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • I would leave the box alone.

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Imagine, again, that you have in your possession a magical box that can only be opened with it's magical key, and let's also say that the only person who can use this key is you.

If you choose to open the box the world as we know it would become a paradise of sorts, devoid of any suffering, sickness, etc. Yet, this paradise for everyone else would come at your own expense as you would instantly become semi-immortal and have to suffer every affliction, wound, sickness, etc., that existed in the moment in time that you opened the box in, and you would have to suffer over the course of the next thousand years, after which you would also be allowed to live in paradise.

If you don't open the box, nothing happens.

Choose. :)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I'd take a pass on that one. First of all I don't want to be tortured for a thousand years. Second, I think suffering is a componant of life and wouldn't believe any offer suggesting otherwise.

Lark

Would you elect to suffer to remove all suffering from mankind forever? Would it be suffering if you had certain, unmistakeable foresight to know that it would end and you would then share in a world where it is abscent?

And once you were done sweating blood about it would you join your friends to find that they could not spare you the time it took without falling asleep?

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Would you elect to suffer to remove all suffering from mankind forever? Would it be suffering if you had certain, unmistakeable foresight to know that it would end and you would then share in a world where it is abscent?

And once you were done sweating blood about it would you join your friends to find that they could not spare you the time it took without falling asleep?

I see the point now. :)

christ_in_the_garden_of_gethsemane-400.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wouldn't 1000 years of taking the suffering of the entire world upon yourself shortly drive you mad, so that even if you entered paradise after 1000 years, you'd no longer be sane to enjoy it and might be twisted enough to inflict it again upon the world?

Even Jesus only made it three days.

We, we'd be leaving our sanity for the rest of our lives... and we wouldn't have called a soul... and we wouldn't have packed a thing...

... or is it part of the assumption of the question that we could be perfectly fine after 1000 years of complete thoughtless agonizing misery and pain?

Lark

Wouldn't 1000 years of taking the suffering of the entire world upon yourself shortly drive you mad, so that even if you entered paradise after 1000 years, you'd no longer be sane to enjoy it and might be twisted enough to inflict it again upon the world?

Even Jesus only made it three days.

We, we'd be leaving our sanity for the rest of our lives... and we wouldn't have called a soul... and we wouldn't have packed a thing...

... or is it part of the assumption of the question that we could be perfectly fine after 1000 years of complete thoughtless agonizing misery and pain?

I've read some interesting story arcs in Dracula fiction suggesting that the reason Van Helsing didnt destroy him was to do with a suspiscion that he was the "Jesus driven insane with suffering" and killing him would destroy everything in existence, the whole plot tool hinged on whether or not you believed it was a clever lie created by Dracula to prevent people destroying him or not should they ever have him at their mercy.

Its a book called Dracula: Asylum, dont know the author's name off hand, good book for pulp fiction based on the universal monsters.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read some interesting story arcs in Dracula fiction suggesting that the reason Van Helsing didnt destroy him was to do with a suspiscion that he was the "Jesus driven insane with suffering" and killing him would destroy everything in existence, the whole plot tool hinged on whether or not you believed it was a clever lie created by Dracula to prevent people destroying him or not should they ever have him at their mercy.

That's a novel plea.

I'm not sure it would fly for anyone else but Dracula: "I'm Jesus, and if you kill me, the entire world will stop. Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Most people would shoot anyway, I think... and then pause to reload. With impunity.

Its a book called Dracula: Asylum, dont know the author's name off hand, good book for pulp fiction based on the universal monsters.

Thanks for the ref. :)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know if I'd be doing people any favors be removing all suffering. Suffering is one way we learn to grow in character.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
It appeals to me to open it. But I guess there will have to be some arrangements made with the surrounding people (who will not know anymore what suffering is). How could they get to understand? And then the great challenge of remembering the promise for a thousand years... (Better build some monument, like a pyramid...)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no...there's a reason that this is not paradise.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I probably wouldn't hesitate to open the box. By simply dissociating the severity of my actions, I'd be forced to endure it...If I had to endure it silently and couldn't choose to back out for a whole thousand years, lest everything be for naught, I would reconsider.

A

A window to the soul

Everybody stand back, I'm opening the box. I'll apologize later.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Sounds like we could make a movie out of this concept. Oh... wait.

The-Box.jpg