• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kids These Days..

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Out of control!

Listen to these wise men!

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress.

You might be nodding your head.. but wait..

The first quote was made by Hesiod in 8th Century BC., the second by Socrates.. the third by Peter the Hermit in 1274 AD.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I find it a little comforting too. After all, we were all insolent morons when we were kids. But most of us do, in fact grow up. Not me, but most of us :)

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I find this concept so interesting, and a little comforting.

It's like anything in life really. The younger generation will always buck the current one in power as they dislike being forced to do what their "elders" demand they should. They usually do so in a way thats opposite and when they grow older and replace the ones they themselves fought against, their offspring will in turn start the cycle all over again. It may not be a complete opposite flip but it will gradually get back to where it started.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I really understand what you mean. But even within a generation, there are kids who aren't as rebellious as others. Some don't need to act out in the same ways, but many do... enough so that it could be seen as a whole generation thing. Some adults are activists and protest the status quo, and some children look to it for protection. I wonder if that just means there are exceptions to every rule?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I have always been smart enough to recognize my elders for having much more experience and answers than myself. I always felt a bit sorry for friends of mine that did what was in their own worst interest simply because they could get away with it. =\

lastrailway

I have heard many times during my life the "Kids today..." or "When I was a kid, we..." thing. It's a cliché I find both amusing and annoying.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I wonder if that just means there are exceptions to every rule?

Can a rule have an exception? ;)

I do agree that not every member of a generation will buck the previous, however that again is just like everything else in life, the vocal minorities speak the loudest, and the sheeple follow those people blindly.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm 16 and as I read those I was thinking that first, thats true :laugh:, and second, young people have been like that forever and that is well documented. I guess I was right :D

It seems that this does not only apply to young people though. Every generation seems to think the previous generations were cleaner and the future generations are corrupt. Look at the Sistine Chapel, where it is painted to show the past as pure and the current, modern day (1500ish?) as being drunken and corrupt, with grey areas between. Well, either Michelangelo, as great an artist as he was, was full of shit, or he's right but everyone started to get their act together and the corruption and drunkeness levelled off :)

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
You know, I really agree with the topic creator, much like I agree with the sentiment that "the future rests with these bright souls" and "the passion of youth will guide so and so" and etc. Same as it's always been.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Out of control!

Listen to these wise men!

You might be nodding your head.. but wait..

The first quote was made by Hesiod in 8th Century BC., the second by Socrates.. the third by Peter the Hermit in 1274 AD.
Thanks, that was great.
That almost gives me hope.

Rhadamanthus

MBTI Type
ISTP
Peter the Hermit said:
The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress.

Says the man whose name consists of "Peter" followed by the words "the" and "Hermit". I wouldn't trust a hermit to give an accurate description of the public.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Says the man whose name consists of "Peter" followed by the words "the" and "Hermit". I wouldn't trust a hermit to give an accurate description of the public.

Why not? Being an Introvert I tend to watch people more then interact with them, and through watching I find myself disliking a lot more of the way people act and the way things are going.

For example while I want kids of my own one day, at times I wonder if I want to bring any into this world based on the way it seems to be heading. If my kids did any of the stuff I did as a kid then either they'd end up as criminals in the eyes of all these new laws that seem to keep popping up in the vain of protecting us from ourselves or I'd be up on child endangerment charges for letting them.

Theres way too many laws being created due to those out there that can't accept responsibility for their own actions and cry and blame others for their mistakes.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP

I didn't realise the youth of today were so old.

I also didn't realise that Hermit was an actual title. You don't see that on many curriculum vitaes any more.

1997-1998
Interim Alpines
Risk Forecast Team Member: Risk Analysist, accounting, budgeting.

1998-2003
Maxwell Products
Events Co-ordinator Manager: Organising, book-keeping, delegating.

2003-present
A cave
Hermit: Talking to trees, not bathing, scratching my arse.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Why not? Being an Introvert I tend to watch people more then interact with them, and through watching I find myself disliking a lot more of the way people act and the way things are going.

For example while I want kids of my own one day, at times I wonder if I want to bring any into this world based on the way it seems to be heading. If my kids did any of the stuff I did as a kid then either they'd end up as criminals in the eyes of all these new laws that seem to keep popping up in the vain of protecting us from ourselves or I'd be up on child endangerment charges for letting them.

Theres way too many laws being created due to those out there that can't accept responsibility for their own actions and cry and blame others for their mistakes.

What laws? I'm 16 and Canadian, so what you are saying has a lot of revelance to me and I'd love to know what you mean exactly. And INFP, if that matters :D

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
Since when has rebellion of the youth against the "elderly" been a bad thing? It is a product of free thought. Without it we would be doomed to doing the same things for the remainder of our existence. No progress has ever been made without a little rebellion.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I was being facetious. Being a hermit would be awesome, though. When I retire, that's what I would like to be. A mountain hermit.

I watched the movie Into the Wild lastnight.. The whole idea of movie was appealing, but I would never be able to do anything like that or be a hermit. At the very least I would need someone to do it with, being that I'm one of these hopeless romantic types.

What laws? I'm 16 and Canadian, so what you are saying has a lot of revelance to me and I'd love to know what you mean exactly. And INFP, if that matters :D

Any and all laws that are designed to "protect you from yourself".

For instance in the city I grew up in it's technically illegal to climb trees. Hell I used to climb the tallest trees I could on windy days just because I liked swaying back and forth in the wind. Technically the fact I climbed the tree made me a criminal.

I've owned numerous pellet guns as a kid, these days you have to be 18 to buy one.

You need to be 16 to drive most offroad vehicles. I've had motorized vehicles since I was 4.

I used to be able to take the boat out whenever I wanted. You now need a license to operate most boats.

I could go on.. Needless to say though, most of the things I used to do outdoors as a kid are becoming so heavily restricted that it's either play sports, or play video games. Speaking of video games, I never had to deal with all this rating crap, I didn't need to be a certain age to buy certain games, and I didn't turn out to be a mass murderer at my school.

Rhadamanthus

MBTI Type
ISTP
I watched the movie Into the Wild lastnight.. The whole idea of movie was appealing, but I would never be able to do anything like that or be a hermit. At the very least I would need someone to do it with, being that I'm one of these hopeless romantic types.

I've never heard of this movie. I should watch it.

Why couldn't you be a hermit? The isolation? I could stand the isolation -- I'd enjoy it immensely, but surviving on my own in the wilderness would take a bit of effort and getting used to. Wouldn't be impossible, though. Our ancestors did it.

edit: I watched the movie, and the guy was a moron to not, at least, bring along a map to Alaska. He probably also should've spent some time learning how to actually survive in the wild, rather than just going there.

Last edited: