• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PEARLS of WISDOM...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
From my grandpa: Without love you're like a blind hog on a cement pasture.

From my grandma: If things are neat, people assume they are clean.
Get your bluff in with your kids when they are little.
When your feet hurt, you hurt all over. (Buy decent shoes.)

From my mom: If you are too strict on your kids, they will go wild when the get older.
It's better to be the one helping than the one needing the help.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From another 4:

do+you+understand.jpg

I have others but this one sums up a lot of things.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hmm... if there's one thing I've learned, it's this: Never hand over your heart to someone on a silver platter. Its value will increase manifold if one has to work to earn your love and trust.

As for the story behind this - the wounds are still fresh. :cry: I don't care if he never comes back; because if he does, the flames of my anguish will consume him, and I don't want things to come to that.

Aww...:hug: I learned that one the hard way too. Thanks for sharing!

From another 4:

do+you+understand.jpg

I have others but this one sums up a lot of things.

Interesting, that philosophy actually reminds me a lot of Epictetus and the Stoics. They felt that if you looked at life the right way (with your reason), you could even handle the death of your child with grace and wisdom.

From my grandpa: Without love you're like a blind hog on a cement pasture.

I love adorably folksy wisdom! This is really cute and yet manages to be true.

From my grandma: If things are neat, people assume they are clean.
Get your bluff in with your kids when they are little.
When your feet hurt, you hurt all over. (Buy decent shoes.)

This is nitty gritty stuff, love it! That shoe one, is so damn old school.

From my mom: If you are too strict on your kids, they will go wild when the get older.
It's better to be the one helping than the one needing the help.

I think those are good too, I especially agree with that first one. Mind you, being too lax will probably make them act out too. It's tough to find the balance (not that I have kids, but you know, sometimes I read parenting books in case I impregnate a crazy lady).

I also think it's interesting that you shared what your elders have taught you, rather than saying what you've learned per se. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just most people like to talk about what they themselves think. Very 9ish of you, methinks ;)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You don't only live once, you live every day. However, you only die once.

Be comfortable in your own skin, no one else will be

L

LadyLazarus

Have some of my favorite Gandhi quotes/teachings:

1.)"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

2.)"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave."

3.)"If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide."

4.)"Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment."

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

1.)"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

2.)"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave."

4.)'Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment."

Awesome! :hifive:

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It’s not really a pearl, more of a slightly shiny stone. I meant to put this in a thread that was asking about it; but I completely forgot about it. It has to do with self-delusion and its innately fragile state. The nature of self-delusion is that it requires an almost closed system; where in all new information has to be filtered. This is a fatal flaw, if either a singular strong adverse reaction or a continuous stream of adverse reactions happens it will ultimately break the delusion. So while you might not be any happier striped of self-delusion, you will be infinitely stronger standing firm where the delusional will falter, and picking up the pieces from such a shattering is a horrible experience. I will also add that striped of delusion leaves you with a sense of serenity as though you stand on solid ground able to weather any storm.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From my mom:

You've got a 'no', but a 'yes' you can get - literal translation from Dutch, meaning 'don't be afraid to ask for what you want and potentially change that no into a yes - people just might surprise ya.'

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Do not attempt to rub the belly of strange cats, no matter how cute they look.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Wow, I'm really happy with how this is turning out, thanks for adding to the thread everyone!

It’s not really a pearl, more of a slightly shiny stone. I meant to put this in a thread that was asking about it; but I completely forgot about it. It has to do with self-delusion and its innately fragile state. The nature of self-delusion is that it requires an almost closed system; where in all new information has to be filtered. This is a fatal flaw, if either a singular strong adverse reaction or a continuous stream of adverse reactions happens it will ultimately break the delusion. So while you might not be any happier striped of self-delusion, you will be infinitely stronger standing firm where the delusional will falter, and picking up the pieces from such a shattering is a horrible experience. I will also add that striped of delusion leaves you with a sense of serenity as though you stand on solid ground able to weather any storm.

Gee, that's a lot to unpack! I think that's a great insight though, and especially important for an e9 like me to realize, as I tend to spend a lot of time on Gumdrop Mountain. Self-delusion just isn't practical. This one takes a lot of courage to really live out, though.

You don't only live once, you live every day. However, you only die once.

Be comfortable in your own skin, no one else will be

That's a much better way of looking at things. You only live once is a very short-sighted philosophy. When you frame it as living everyday, it not only encourages us to be active and live it up everyday, but it also encourages us to live in ways that don't ruin our future enjoyment of life. Maybe we can make YODO catch on! :newwink:

1.)"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

4.)"Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment."

The longer I've been around, the more important #1 seems. #2 explains my inability to love (I partially jest). #3 is dark but very true to my experience. #4 is a great rebuttal to Machiavelli. That Gandhi guy, he had a few good ideas knocking around in that old skull of his. :D Thanks for these Double L!

From my mom:

You've got a 'no', but a 'yes' you can get - literal translation from Dutch, meaning 'don't be afraid to ask for what you want and potentially change that no into a yes - people just might surprise ya.'

Ooh, I'm still struggling to use this in my everyday life. I often screw myself over, rather than risk upsetting someone slightly by pushing for a yes. Also, am I the only one who finds the translation of sayings very interesting. It's delicate work, methinks.

'don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.' - cc.

That's a good one. Who's cc?

Do not attempt to rub the belly of strange cats, no matter how cute they look.

:( Awww, that's no fun haha

Doomkid

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose is own soul?"

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I also think it's interesting that you shared what your elders have taught you, rather than saying what you've learned per se. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just most people like to talk about what they themselves think. Very 9ish of you, methinks ;)
I'm very much about avoiding pain, suffering, and wasted effort by learning from others and very much about family. I'm not saying they aren't (or weren't) kind of nuts, but overall, they've done right by me and much of the happiness I have now is due to their love and wisdom.

I haven't really codified a lot of my own stuff in my head in a way that isn't already common knowledge, I don't think. If anything comes to mind, I'll try to remember to post it here.

However, I just remembered what my husband told someone when asked how to be happily married for a long time: Marry someone you like and be nice to them. ;)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From my grandma: When your feet hurt, you hurt all over. (Buy decent shoes.)
Similar to my mother's advice. She would say to take care of your feet and your teeth, because trouble with either causes trouble/pain all over. She learned this the hard way, having both foot and teeth problems for much of her life.

My mother also said that people who remarried after the death of a spouse were the ones who had had a happy marriage. They wanted to experience that again, with a new partner.

From my high school choir director: always apply for something if you want it, even if you think it unlikely that you will get it. If you don't apply, you have already told yourself "no". Make the person in charge of the activity tell you "no"; it's their job, after all.

From my own experience, I have learned that, when despite my best efforts I do not get something or succeed at something I want, I am probably not meant to have it, and must look for a different opportunity elsewhere.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, I'm really happy with how this is turning out, thanks for adding to the thread everyone!

Gee, that's a lot to unpack! I think that's a great insight though, and especially important for an e9 like me to realize, as I tend to spend a lot of time on Gumdrop Mountain. Self-delusion just isn't practical. This one takes a lot of courage to really live out, though.

Yeah it is quite hefty; but it was something that was playing on my mind, so I thought I would share. :)

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something I wrote in my journal a few weeks ago (the metaphor is slightly tongue-in-cheek):
The greater the distance between the solid, damp ground of reality and the lofty treetops of escape, the more it hurts when you hit the ground, so just keep your feet on the ground so no fall is necessary.
(Of course, my quote about staying in touch with reality pales in comparison to the one by Dr Mobius)

The purpose of art is to amplify truth.

influenced by Theravada Buddhism and the Enneagram:
In order to continually move closer to the truth and therefore strengthen your ability to respond to reality fittingly and nobly, you must stay awake by constantly questioning what you believe to be true. It's not easy - sometimes it's much more comfortable to cling to the delusion of certainty, to attach yourself to a static vision of the truth, but if you do this you're mentally and spiritually asleep instead of truly steering yourself and acting from the fluid center of your being.
(It's sort of like setting up a faulty autopilot vs. actually driving yourself.)

Last edited: