• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PEARLS of WISDOM...

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This thread shall become a repository for wisdom to benefit our entire community.

Please post things that you know, as in the stuff you learned the hard way, that really sucked, that you could spare other people the hassle of dealing with if someone were nice enough to share their wisdom in a post like this... :whistling:

Here's a few of my faves:

(1) Don't ever buy an extended warranty for anything, you will never get a damn thing out of it. Think about it. You pay monthly premiums for years to cover an item that will likely be twice as powerful and half the cost when yours breaks. Even with big ticket items like cars, you'll get shite out of them. They'll tell you that they cover 2-3 little things, but the rest is on you. Insurance companies are one of the four horsemen, believe it.

(2) Life's too short to take shit. Don't ever let anyone emotionally or physically abuse you. Fight back or escape, but don't take shit. If you do, then you will likely fall into having a victim complex and unintentionally allow people to walk all over you for many years of your life. Stand up for yourself. Tell the people that wrong you, or say hurtful things to you, or threaten you to go fuck themselves. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'd rather get my ass kicked and retain my dignity than let anyone treat me like shit or abuse me.

(3) Take the time to formulate short term (1 year or less), mid-range (2-5 years), and long-term (further than 5 years away) goals for yourself. Plot a journey for your life. Guess what? The actual course of your trip will not be exactly as you planned it. BUT - I guarantee you that the life journey of someone who has taken the time to envision their future, and work toward it with realistic, incremental, and attainable goals, will be far more rewarding and interesting than the roadmap of a life that has just been allowed to pass by with whatever the winds blow into it.

Who's going next?

:solidarity:

-Halla

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I learned this while waiting in line to vote in 2004 (I believe). There was a long line, so long we waited for quite awhile outside the building, and it was a cold November. In front of me in line were two middle-aged men who apparently knew each other, but not super well. They were, in good Minnesota form, talking about the weather. The following conversation ensued:

Man 1: Man, I'm getting cold.
Man 2: I'm not! I'm wearing two scarves.
Man 1: Oh.
Man 2: Do you want one of them?
Man 1: Uh.... no, that's okay.
Man 2: Are you sure? Cause I'm just saying, if your neck's warm, you're warm. If your neck's warm, you're warm.

Man 2 might have been a bit strange (who wants to borrow someone else's sweaty scarf?), but he had a good point. I always make sure to have a scarf when it's cold out. When your neck's warm, you're warm.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
(4) Ye cannot truly help someone until they are ready for it. When someone does not actually wish to fix something about themselves or in their life, they will normally continue negative cycles (abuse, low self esteem, depression, bad choices in love, etc) until they are snapped out of it by events or they reach the bottom of their personal pit. For some reason many do not heed the counsel of friends, family, and mentors in these situations.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Always use bushes that are slightly bigger than you to hide in..... I was so close to my second girlfriend!

rav3n

1. The more you fight yourself, the more energy you waste. Stay true to your core essence and life will flow more smoothly.
  2. If you don't know what you want in life, examine your basic needs. In focusing on your needs, a pattern will hopefully emerge, a road to your passion.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fantastic contributions thus far, keep'em coming!

:rock:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
- Time management makes everyone happier. It's so important to a successful busy schedule.

- I find that the less you care about everything a little, the more room you make to care about a few things a lot.

- Doing things outside of your comfort zone frequently ends up expanding your comfort zone. Try it sometime.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish I was better prepared for the real world upon graduating from college. Do what you can to acquire relevant job experience while in school before you graduate. I didn't do this enough. I was naive and figured there would be a great job just waiting for me afterwards. You can be smart, kind, reliable, but if you don't have the experience, many companies will not be likely to consider you a viable candidate.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
When you fight a hydra, you'll need to sever all of the heads and cauterize the stumps or else two new heads will grow back in its place.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
1) If something is confusing to you, ask, because you’re not the only one who feels that way. You’ll be doing others a favor by asking.
2) My dad once told me: Be patient. If you look at a problem long enough, you’ll figure it out. I have found this to be true many times.
3) My dad also showed me, through example, that beauty can be found in really simple things, and unexpected places, so keep your eyes open for it, or you’ll miss things. He used to go to the garbage dump and bring back metal scraps which he would weld and machine into art objects.
4) If you see someone in pain or who needs help, stop and find out what’s going on. Empathetic action is always noble and good.
(or so I’ve been told!)

So ends my Confucius moment…

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
As much fun as it might be to imagine..... headbutting can't solve most of life's problems.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
When with a woman (as with politics), don't speak unless it improves the silence...

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ok, what i've learned:

1 - Be graceful and ask for help if you require it .. They won't think bad of you
2 - Even mom's fuck up .. Treat them as humans and not as role models
3 - If your needs are not being met, speak up.
4 - Know when to throw in the towel and take that first step to something different
5 - You life purpose doesn't need to be defined or pinpointed .. Enjoy the 'now'
6 - If your scared of something, take a deep breathe and go for it .. You never know where you'll end up .. You may surprise yourself.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Love the people in your life enough not to try and control them. People are not puppets; they are not pawns. They don't exist so that your needs may be met (unless you are a child and even then, up to a point). If you do it, you need to ask yourself why you do it. If it's being done to you, pull the plug.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Procrastination is a huge motivator if you have a deadline. Which is exactly why it shouldn't be relied on.. how many things truly have a deadline in life? Only the things that really don't matter.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Take notes. This "life" thing is the longest learning experience you'll ever have.

O

Oberon

When your tiller/mower/chain saw/small-engined-whatever won't start, see if it's got fuel in it. Then if it still won't start, before you do anything else, change the spark plug.