• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Strenuous Life

Lark

Roosevelt, Theodore. 1900. The Strenuous Life; Essays and Addresses: I. The Strenuous Life

Teddy Roosevelt felt that there was something called the strenuous life which everyone should pursue who wanted to be happy, it was what ennobled labour and its lack was what made a life of leisure akin to a vice, so do you think there's any sense in this? Was he just a precursor of the health and fitness fads since? Or was it just machismo? Do you live or aspire to live a strenuous life?

gromit

likes this
I think there's something to it. Keeping an active mind and body is how we grow as people/avoid stagnation. My parents have maintained a regular exercise regime and they look amazing for their age. They have kept their minds engaged and they are both still incredibly quick and fun.

I do think leisure is important too, though. It's a balance.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Theodore Roosevelt overcompensated for a childhood spent in illness and feelings of weakness. He is the quintessential macho man. On the other hand, due to this self-conscious need for approval he achieved many great things.

Mole

Permabanned
Theodore Roosevelt overcompensated for a childhood spent in illness and feelings of weakness. He is the quintessential macho man. On the other hand, due to this self-conscious need for approval he achieved many great things.

And Teddy conquered and colonised the Philippines and made it possible for General McArthur to say, "I shall return".

And if Teddy had not conquered the Philippines, I wouldn't be here, for McArthur drove Imperial Japan back from Oz, and so I am able to pen these words to you. All thanks to the strenuous Teddy Roosevelt.

On the other hand I am suspicious of the strenuous life as it seems to me to be a compensation. It doesn't rise naturally from the person, but rather is used to compensate for some lack. As is the case with Teddy Roosevelt.

But who am I to quibble, as it is hard men, guarding our borders, who keep us safe in our beds at night.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The key to happiness is an ACTIVE life. Not a strenuous one.

T

ThatGirl

I think life should be a healthy mixture between conflict, challenge, and victory,

I have seen many people who have lived wonderful lives feel like something was missing. Get depressed or search for sadness and darkness because they never really understood it. I have also seen people too jaded to give a fuck anymore. Both kind of suck ass imo.

Having to overcome adversity as a child is also a lot easier than overcoming adversity as an adult. Kids are more resilient.